24' Cigarette For Sale >

24' Cigarette For Sale

Notices

24' Cigarette For Sale

Old 01-26-2012, 08:14 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RT930turbo
Some things look like a real 24, and some don't. The windshield is different than any I have ever seen, and the top deck is quite different, but being an outboard that makes sense. I would want to see a HIN number.
About the only thing that looks like a "normal" 24 of that era is the hull IMHO..top deck is certainly way different, so is the dash layout and style of that vintage. At first glance similar, but looking more closely not so much.

Agree windshield is probably made by American, but they made windshields for lots of boats, certainly a lot more boats than the handful of 24s that were made with the fauceted style windshield.

Cockpit is also completely different and appears to be wider than the normal 24. There are also no raised humps running the length of the cockpit sides on the normal 24, that was more of a CIG 20 design style during that era.

Of course, if it is really "1 of 2" there is no telling what was done completely differently on a custom 1 of 2 Outboard version, compared to the normal 24 of that era.

Agree about the HIN, either it starts with "CRT", or it doesn't, simple as that.

Last edited by 78CIG24; 01-26-2012 at 08:16 AM.
Old 01-26-2012, 12:47 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 78CIG24
About the only thing that looks like a "normal" 24 of that era is the hull IMHO..top deck is certainly way different, so is the dash layout and style of that vintage. At first glance similar, but looking more closely not so much.

Agree windshield is probably made by American, but they made windshields for lots of boats, certainly a lot more boats than the handful of 24s that were made with the fauceted style windshield.

Cockpit is also completely different and appears to be wider than the normal 24. There are also no raised humps running the length of the cockpit sides on the normal 24, that was more of a CIG 20 design style during that era.

Of course, if it is really "1 of 2" there is no telling what was done completely differently on a custom 1 of 2 Outboard version, compared to the normal 24 of that era.

Agree about the HIN, either it starts with "CRT", or it doesn't, simple as that.

How's Lap Dancer coming along?

I have regained "custody" of my old 24. Not sure what's ultimately going to happen to it but it's back in my barn for now
Old 01-26-2012, 01:37 PM
Registered

How's Lap Dancer coming along?

I have regained "custody" of my old 24. Not sure what's ultimately going to happen to it but it's back in my barn for now
Resto is going slow during the colder months here,..but plans are to have it back on the water by May no matter what.

To save time I decided to stick with the "Lap Dancer" paint job for now, it is in too good of condition to change it. Plus it has grown on me a little :-) I just changed up the side graphics with the script style CRT logos. Still need to get the "A-46" APBA numbers remade exactly as they were when it raced. Once those are back on the sides, the exterior is done ...at least for now.

However, the whole interior and bilge is completely taken apart including removal of ALL the old wiring from bow to stern. I am also changing up the dash and instruments completely from what it was. Since I found the original 24 Dash intact underneath the aluminum race dash, it was tough to make a decision which way to go with it.

I recently settled on a combination of the old original dash showing, but with a full 2-man race gauge setup built into the backside of the original windshield with aluminum panels. If you recall all the glass was removed from the windshield and replaced with aluminum panels using the original frame for racing. I am leaving it like that and putting in vertical gauge panels from the top of the windshield frame down to the top flat part of the old dash.

Already have 80% of the transom hardware removed and resealed, so that is almost done. Luckily there has been no rot, etc anywhere to be found. Still blows my mind that this old 78 hull is still solid as a rock!

Will send you some pics when I get closer.

BTW, that is cool you have your 24 back in hand! I was looking at the pics of it earlier today, what a great boat!!

Cheers,

Dave

Last edited by 78CIG24; 01-26-2012 at 02:30 PM.
Old 01-26-2012, 02:11 PM
Registered

I like the gauge and dash idea! Looking forward to seeing some pictures.
Old 01-26-2012, 02:25 PM
Registered

I like the gauge and dash idea! Looking forward to seeing some pictures.
Going to look something like this pic below (Apache 41)..but the top of the vertical gauge panels will be even with the top edge of the 24 windshield frame and follow that unique Cig 24 WS profile. :-)

Back to the Outboard 24, anyone ever get the HIN from it? I have seen it or sale in many places for a while now, but none has listed the HIN #. I think it is a cool boat, especially for an outboard, and it would be very cool if it is actually 1 of 2 CIG 24 outboards built.
Old 01-26-2012, 06:12 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 24

The boat certainly appears to be an early Cig 24. The indention in the deck is where the older boats had teak or mahogany. 3/8" recess. If you look close at the pics --- it appears the original teak is still running down the top of the gunnels. The earlier 24 boats were wider. I have one of the wood inlaid 24's. Outboards????? Maybe they did. I can't answer that one.
Old 01-26-2012, 06:53 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Hotboat1
The boat certainly appears to be an early Cig 24. The indention in the deck is where the older boats had teak or mahogany. 3/8" recess. If you look close at the pics --- it appears the original teak is still running down the top of the gunnels. The earlier 24 boats were wider. I have one of the wood inlaid 24's. Outboards????? Maybe they did. I can't answer that one.
Yeah, those ribs on the bow were what thru me off as it not being like the normal 24 of that vintage. My 78 is perfectly flat/smooth there as are others I have seen from that year and later. Matter of fact my complete deck is perfectly flat from bow to stern being one of the truest "Flatdeck" Cigs made.

Do you have any idea what year they switched from the earlier teak inlaid decks to the smooth flat versions? There are so few 24s to compare to, who knows when they started and stopped certain design elements..or if it depended on the mood or custom order of that build.

Below are some of the 24s I know off with the smooth deck and the unique "faceted" style Windshield. I haven't seen any of the teak deck versions with that style windshield yet. I am guessing these 2 design chances were made around the same time???? Seems like for sure the 77 thru 81 24s had the faceted windshield and the smooth flat decks.

A 77 that belongs to Russ in TN?

My 78..

..and RT930Turbo's (Artie's) 81...what a great restoration!!!
Old 01-26-2012, 07:42 PM
Registered

Received 365 Likes on 209 Posts

If anyone is serious, I am not to far away to take an initial look...
Old 01-27-2012, 08:27 AM
JC Performance Engines
Gold Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

How'd that happen??
Old 01-27-2012, 10:13 AM
Registered

I sold the boat to a very good friend who suddenly passed away on the 4th of July. His wife is not sure what to do with the boat as boating was a big thing for both of them. So it's back in my hands for safe keeping until she figures out what she wants to do. He was on oso a little bit under RO24Cigarette... His dad was part owner of the orange "Outrageous" Sutphen from way back in it's racing days. The Cig was his first offshore boat, and he was really loving it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.