Annual Costs for Top Gun?

Notices

Annual Costs for Top Gun?

Old 05-29-2012, 03:59 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Depends on the power.

Realistically, $10K yr is a good round number assuming nothing blows up and you can do your own work.
Old 05-29-2012, 06:20 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have friends with 35 and 42' fountains that go out there but I know it's not the ideal place to open up the sea legs For now I'll just keep the learning going!
Old 05-29-2012, 08:38 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 88bullet
top guns are awsome boats. ive rigged a few of them and i cant say enough good about them. how much you looking to spend i know where a spotless twin step with fresh cobra 750's and brand new xr's the boat definately has the wow factor when you look at it. one of my fav paint schemes!! let me know i can email you a pic
A step bottom 100 MPH boat as a first boat may be a handful, may be fairly expensive to insure as a first owner, and the XR's would probably need rebuilds at a higher rate than a boat w/a lesser power package. This would all increase the annual cost of ownership. However, if money spent to own/operate the boat isn't an issue, and you plan to be professionally taught to drive by say Tres Martin, this would probably be a very nice option. Good luck.
Old 05-29-2012, 08:50 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Costs

10-15% of the cost of boat per year

100k boat

10-15k per year

That's a quick way to budget
Old 05-30-2012, 02:26 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, definitely get some experience operating, launching, maintaining, etc a smaller boat to start. I grew up driving yachts, tenders, and then ultimately Navy ships. Maybe I know too much about what can go wrong Get familiar with the rules of the road, bouy conventions, basic navigation, etc. get some practice. You'll find out that there are times when 20 mph on the water is white knuckle due to traffic or navigational constraints.

Learn to read shorelines to envision what the bottom depth is going to be like. Learn the subtleties of wave shape changes, water color changes, and other indicators of trouble. Too many people think there isn't anything to piloting a boat safely. Remember, it's not just driving, any 4-year old can steer. You become captain of the vessel, and responsible for all in it, those who come near it, and even your own wake.

My point is definitely not to discourage, because you seem like a highly capable individual, but everyone has to learn, and a boat that will barely stay on plane at 30 mph might not be the best environment. Sort if like driving your diablo for a first car. If you like cigarettes, get yourself a nice 28 or something, and learn with that. I think the market has to be near bottom now, so if you picked something up, do
a little work to it, you wouldn't lose much in the long run. Sell it in a year or two. A lot of this sport is developing your own infrastructure, I.e. truck, tools, and even cranes/hoists for pulling engines.

On the truck subject, even a 3500 might be a little shy for pulling a fully fueled TG unless it's a gooseneck. Mine is only a 35, but still heavy, and I pull with a 4500 medium duty. I have a 20,000 lb receiver setup, and you have to even go searching for an extra heavy duty hitch ball. I was using a 17,000 lb ball until I found a sweet black anodized gooseneck ball with a 30,000 lb rating. Don't get caught short on the towing department, because if something happens, you'll be crucified. By having this stuff, you've already announced you have the funds. Lots of people would love nothing better than to get it from you.
Old 05-30-2012, 06:52 AM
Registered

Very good points. I would probably find a used F450...owned an 05 F350 a few years back. I will admit my first foray through the boat safety course the main thing that hasn't sunk in is the buoy markers and signs.
Old 05-30-2012, 07:31 AM
Registered

Received 36 Likes on 17 Posts

just pull the trigger
Attached Thumbnails Annual Costs for Top Gun?-001.jpg   Annual Costs for Top Gun?-002.jpg  
Old 05-30-2012, 12:34 PM
Registered

Not bad but it will be a while before I purchase. Still a lot more research I need to do! Looks good in the pics though!
Old 05-30-2012, 11:28 PM
Registered

If you're spending that kind of cash on a first time boat, then ABSOLUTELY spend the $2500 for a Tres Martin course. It could save your life as well as your passengers.

This guy purchased a 38 top gun from Legend Marine, drove it 2 times and on the 3rd rolled it because he didn't know how to drive a stepped bottom boat.

http://www.screamandfly.com/archive/.../t-185577.html

Additionally spend time practicing maneuvering the boat, especially in the wind. This will pay dividends later when docking in crowded and often stressful situations.

As far as DIY maintenance, this site is an AWESOME reference. I've learned so much it's amazing what members on this site can assist on when you have a problem.

Good Luck
Old 05-31-2012, 02:17 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bert4332
If you're spending that kind of cash on a first time boat, then ABSOLUTELY spend the $2500 for a Tres Martin course. It could save your life as well as your passengers.

This guy purchased a 38 top gun from Legend Marine, drove it 2 times and on the 3rd rolled it because he didn't know how to drive a stepped bottom boat.

http://www.screamandfly.com/archive/.../t-185577.html

Additionally spend time practicing maneuvering the boat, especially in the wind. This will pay dividends later when docking in crowded and often stressful situations.

As far as DIY maintenance, this site is an AWESOME reference. I've learned so much it's amazing what members on this site can assist on when you have a problem.

Good Luck
Good point. Having the school cred may help you big time on getting insurance as well, and more than pay for itself in a couple of years.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.