Top Gun/Whipple question >

Top Gun/Whipple question

Notices

Top Gun/Whipple question

Old 07-10-2012, 06:56 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Top Gun/Whipple question

Can anybody confirm for me if a 3.3 liter fuel injected Whipple with cupranickel intercooler will fit under the standard hatch of a mid '90's flat bottom Top Gun? Engines are standard deck 509's with offshore mounts and 72c tranny's. Anybody have any first hand experience?

The measurement from the bottom edge of the intake is only 1/4" shorter than my 525SC's to the top of the carburetor, not the flame arrestors. I had sombrero's before but I'm not sure if just the flame arrestors stuck up into the sombrero's or some of the carburetor too.

I was told the Whipple's were only 1" taller than a 500EFI so I just assumed there wouldn't be a problem but now that I measured it I'm not so sure...
Old 07-10-2012, 09:39 PM
VIP Member

Go to Whipples website. Pretty sure they have dimensions there. If you have 525SC motors now, I am very sure it will clear your hatch.
Old 07-11-2012, 05:29 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Smitty
Go to Whipples website. Pretty sure they have dimensions there. If you have 525SC motors now, I am very sure it will clear your hatch.
Smitty I have both motors assembled, the 525SC and my new 509's with the Whipple's, so I have real/actual dimensions to go off, I just haven't put them in the boat yet and I have my hatch off so I can't measure that either.

I've talked to Whipple and they think it will fit too, I'm just worried because the measurements are so close...was just wondering if anyone has done this and had first hand experience with it.
Old 07-11-2012, 06:28 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 593 Likes on 273 Posts

Whipples in your Gun may be raising the bar for everbody else!!

Hmmm, mine are 509s also just w the 575 blower on top. I like your thinking!!!
Old 07-11-2012, 07:27 AM
Registered

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by jasonmd2
Smitty I have both motors assembled, the 525SC and my new 509's with the Whipple's, so I have real/actual dimensions to go off, I just haven't put them in the boat yet and I have my hatch off so I can't measure that either.

I've talked to Whipple and they think it will fit too, I'm just worried because the measurements are so close...was just wondering if anyone has done this and had first hand experience with it.
you have a 3a boat. The engines are going to be at different location than a bravo or TRS boat. Work off your engine measurements and remember you pick up a little extra height as you come forward in the engine room.
Old 07-11-2012, 08:09 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Quinlan
Whipples in your Gun may be raising the bar for everbody else!!

Hmmm, mine are 509s also just w the 575 blower on top. I like your thinking!!!
Right now I"m just hoping they FIT in my Gun

Originally Posted by kvogt
you have a 3a boat. The engines are going to be at different location than a bravo or TRS boat. Work off your engine measurements and remember you pick up a little extra height as you come forward in the engine room.
Thanks Kris. Problem is my hatch is off and I don't have the motor mounts on yet...so I can't get the exact measurement. That's why I was hoping somebody had done this already with the same setup and could say definitively, but apparently not.

What's got me nervous is that I thought the measurement from the top of block/bottom of intake would be much lower on the Whipple and it isn't, only 1/4" lower than the 525SC setup...oh well, might just have to wait until they're in and see what happens
Old 07-12-2012, 05:55 AM
Registered

Received 3,020 Likes on 987 Posts

Blower scoops are gonna look GOOOOOOOOOD!!!
Old 07-12-2012, 08:21 AM
Registered

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

You redid everything else back there, time for a new hatch!
Old 07-12-2012, 09:50 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by thisistank
Blower scoops are gonna look GOOOOOOOOOD!!!
Didn't your mother ever teach you if you don't have anything good to say don't say anything at all???

Originally Posted by BDiggity
Seriously! I would love the newer style that bumps up in the middle but I don't imagine their easy to come by and if I did find one I can't imagine it would be cheap...and by cheap I mean free because at this point I'm so broke it's not even funny
Old 07-12-2012, 09:57 AM
Registered

Received 433 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by BDiggity
I agree, new hatch required!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.