Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Cigarette
Are cafe racers less desireable ???? >

Are cafe racers less desireable ????

Notices

Are cafe racers less desireable ????

Old 10-29-2012, 10:12 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are cafe racers less desireable ????

Still looking at Cigs and had a buddy tell me the 35 Cafe is a less desireable boat? I kind of like them. 35' is a good size. I know I would need big power to get it running 85 but why would it be less desreable?
Old 10-29-2012, 10:21 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have no idea why anyone would say that. Great boats, same construction as any other Cig from the time period, and frankly they have some of the sexiest lines out there. And the cabin layouts can't be beat - one of the most practical of any other boat of its size. Top Guns are certainly more popular, and 3 feet is 3 feet, but there's nothing at all the matter with a Cafe.
Old 10-29-2012, 10:28 AM
Registered

People are probably referring to the fact that the hull is not stepped. In this world of stepped hulls, it does take big power and all of the associated issues (i.e. engine refreshes, broken drives, etc...) to make them go fast. You can run stock 525's in a stepped 38 Gun and run as fast or faster than a non-stepped 35 with big power. For instance, you will probably need 800HP+ to sniff 85 in a Cafe. My guess is you'd need 900HP.

That said, the flat bottom guns are indeed Cigarette's and are of great quality. Plus they ride incredibly in any water.
Old 10-29-2012, 11:21 AM
Registered

Received 105 Likes on 62 Posts

A bunch of nice Cafe's for sale right now, great boats in the ruff and IMO, sleek timelss lines.
Old 10-29-2012, 11:31 AM
Registered

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

I talked to a guy who upgraded from a Cafe to a TG and he said the biggest difference was the cockpit.... said that it didn't seem like a lot more space in the TG but that little bit of extra room made words of difference.

My guess is if you boat with only a few people you'll never notice but if you bring the party it will feel small
Old 10-29-2012, 12:12 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 758 Likes on 348 Posts

The "windshield" on the Gun's are straight across. On the cafe the deck slopes at an angle from the windshield area off the side of the boat. It is a great look in my opinion and makes me like the looks of the Cafe's a little better. I also like the non-skid recessed bow of the Cafe.

In the cabin (on the 1990+ interiors) the TG couch flows INTO the v-berth bed, where as on the Cafe it is a seperate couch that wraps around in front of the v-berth. Again, something I kind of perfer on the Cafe.

BUT - Looks are subjective, and everything everyone said above abotu flat-bottom/TS is true. Make sure your hearsay is apple to apple hearsay.
Old 10-29-2012, 12:15 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 758 Likes on 348 Posts

Originally Posted by CigDaze
Top Guns are certainly more popular, and 3 feet is 3 feet, but there's nothing at all the matter with a Cafe.
In this case isn't 3 feet 2.5 feet?
Old 10-29-2012, 01:47 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 87 Likes on 35 Posts

Cafe's are beautiful boats with nice lines. Not every Cig can be or needs to be a TopGun.
Old 10-29-2012, 02:18 PM
Registered

There was only 100 or so Cafe's built compared to I think there up to 800 + topgun's, and of those 100
it seems that it's always the same ones that come up for sale, so it makes me wonder if there are even 50 of them left.
Old 10-29-2012, 07:15 PM
Can You Hear Me Now??
Gold Member

Received 45 Likes on 24 Posts

Fact is everyone wants a Top Gun... And why not? They have better resale they look great and they ride through the rough like a hot knife through butter. With that being said I had a Cafe and loved that boat. Personally I like the deck on a Cafe better then any other boat including the Gun. Does the 2'6" make a difference in ride? Not in my opinion. The Gun does have a little deeper cockpit and a little longer. Straight bottom guns have a tendency to porpise around 55mph through 65 mph. But there are some great Cafes forsale right now that I would right now. Good luck if you buy the Cafe it will cost you less now but expect to get less for it when you sell it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.