89 top gun fuel tanks,Remove? >

89 top gun fuel tanks,Remove?

Notices

89 top gun fuel tanks,Remove?

Old 12-14-2012, 07:28 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by frickstyle
Not to hijack but this is relevant to the discovery process and it fits here. Qs:

Is there a way to inspect the tanks without removing any flooring, etc? (Like sticking a bore-o-scope down there? Camera?)

How to flush out old fuel/varnish from tank that have been sitting?

Any help or prior experience is welcome. Thanks,

-Justin
I could use some imfo on this too any help would be great. I have a bullet with tanks that have been sitting for years with fuel in them 3/4 full. Belive it or not but the fuel don,t look too bad. I would never use it but I was hoping there is some product that I could pour into them before draining them like sea foam to break up any varnish and then flush them. I would have too remove alot of glass also to get them out and I'm hoping not too.
thanks Keith
Old 12-14-2012, 08:05 AM
Registered

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Wet Bowtie
Here's a pic with the floor up. You see the rotten center support. The support was plain wood with nothing on it, so I'm assuming that is why it is rotten. From what I can see of the stringers, they seem solid, But I don't want to stop checking too soon. If I have to pull the tanks, has anyone else done this on their Top Gun?
I hate to say this, but those tanks need to come out. There is not alot of hull structure through the cockpit area of the boat because of the fuel tanks and your center stringer doesn't look so good. Pull the tanks, fix the stringer, check the condition of the tanks when they are out, then put it back together and seal the compartment up so water doesn't get in there. Follow what Gary did to get them out.
Old 12-16-2012, 11:20 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Thanks kvogt, I think that will be the best bet. Just hate to cut my boat apart if i dont have to. I've also started a rebuild thread on the rebuild section, its under 89 topgun rebuild.
Old 12-17-2012, 05:26 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 372 Likes on 250 Posts

well worth to go thru all this 100% while you're at it... easier now, than later if it leaks!
Old 12-23-2012, 10:23 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

my buddies 90 top gun had the same issue. The floor in cockpit kinda let go and started flexing when walking on it. Found wood chunks in the bilge after a hard run. ..Thought WTF?????

Pulled floor, and noticed cigarette screwed a piece of bare untreated wood to the top of the center stringer, basically as a floor support. Well time took its toll on it, and it was just rotted. We replaced with a new piece of wood, and reinstalled the floor. No more problems.
Old 12-23-2012, 01:23 PM
Registered

Received 4,326 Likes on 1,241 Posts

OMG I hope I never have to do that!

Old 12-23-2012, 11:13 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
my buddies 90 top gun had the same issue. The floor in cockpit kinda let go and started flexing when walking on it. Found wood chunks in the bilge after a hard run. ..Thought WTF?????

Pulled floor, and noticed cigarette screwed a piece of bare untreated wood to the top of the center stringer, basically as a floor support. Well time took its toll on it, and it was just rotted. We replaced with a new piece of wood, and reinstalled the floor. No more problems.
Thats exactly what it was, I scraped all the rotton wood out and vacumed it out real good to inspect. the center stringer looks real good and tapping on it sounds solid, but I think i'm going to cut the foam out between the tanks and stringer to inspect further. I'm glad to hear that ii'm not the only one that has seen this. however I cant believe that cigarette did such a good job on other things but then screws a plain piece of untreated wood down and expects it to last.
Old 12-24-2012, 05:23 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I found the same on one I was working on. Removed it, cleaned, added three back. The tanks and stringers were great.
Attached Thumbnails 89 top gun fuel tanks,Remove?-image.jpg