Notices

28 w/bbc's

Old 01-09-2013, 05:21 PM
bwd
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 28 w/bbc's

A buddy reminded me he still has his 28 cig with origional big blocks in it hiding somewhere. His is the only big block boat I've ever seen, so I'm guessing they are rare. how rare? Are they worth anyhting? He's says its his someday project. I think its either a 74 or 78 and is complete. really neat old beast. Has all the origional paper work too. I can't get him to sign up on oso.
Old 01-09-2013, 06:42 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts
Default BB 28 Cig

Originally Posted by bwd
A buddy reminded me he still has his 28 cig with origional big blocks in it hiding somewhere. His is the only big block boat I've ever seen, so I'm guessing they are rare. how rare? Are they worth anyhting? He's says its his someday project. I think its either a 74 or 78 and is complete. really neat old beast. Has all the origional paper work too. I can't get him to sign up on oso.
While they are nice boats, I don't know if they can be called 'rare', my 28 originally had 2 big blocks (It now has one with more HP than the original 2) and I've seen quite a few BB 28 Cig's. The big block boats are worth on par with the small block boats, at the age of the hulls on a project boat, the condition of the hull is the largest point of value.

Changing spark plugs in a twin big block 28 Cig is not any easy feat.

Driver - High's Fuel Your Journey Cigarette Racing Team #598
Old 01-09-2013, 06:59 PM
bwd
Registered

Originally Posted by O.C.Barry
While they are nice boats, I don't know if they can be called 'rare', my 28 originally had 2 big blocks (It now has one with more HP than the original 2) and I've seen quite a few BB 28 Cig's. The big block boats are worth on par with the small block boats, at the age of the hulls on a project boat, the condition of the hull is the largest point of value.

Interesting.
Old 01-09-2013, 07:08 PM
Registered

Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by O.C.Barry
Sure it is. Just find a 6' 10" guy that weights less than 90 lbs and is double jointed.
Old 01-10-2013, 07:57 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think they are worth less at least once you try and change the spark plugs...you wont be wanting to pay more to pull a motor just to change plugs, and i feel the the balance is better with a good hp SBC boat. but to each their own
Old 01-10-2013, 11:09 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts

It's hard enough to work on a 28 with twin SB, I could not imagine BB in them... fuk that
Old 01-10-2013, 02:43 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

They used to gage engine placement for front mounts by taping (2) pain stirrers together and sliding them thru the inboard exhaust manifolds. slip fit was good. later 28's had an aluminum vent panel at the lower areaof the bulkhead you could remove after taking out seat. Gave a skinny guy with long arms a better shot at changing at leat (4) plug total.
Old 01-10-2013, 04:45 PM
bwd
Registered

I always loved the boat as it is just such a little beast, but i've never seen such a tight dark hole of an engine compartment. Glad I never bought it. as for plugs? My back hurts just thinking about it. The owner is 6'3 and 375. I think he'll be sitting on it forever unless a scratch tic comes along. He's a big sea ray guy now.