Closed cooling >

Closed cooling

Notices

Closed cooling

Old 02-18-2013, 11:32 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Closed cooling

I just bought a new to 1974 cig 20 from texas. It has a 350 with a factory e drive. It has never been in saltwater should i put a closed cooling system before running it in saltwater?
Thanks
Old 02-19-2013, 01:32 AM
Registered
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great purchase. I also have a 20' Cigarette and you will have geat fun with the boat. Before I can give you my opinion, I need to know if you are planning to keep the boat for a long period. If so, I would install closed cooling before the saltwater. I have closed cooling on my boat and it is a full system that includes the engine and exhaust manifold. The exhaust riser, oil and power steering fluid coolers are raw water cooled. After a trip in saltwater you will still want to flush the engine on a freshwater hose and can run "salt-away", which is another option for runnning in saltwater. Good luck with the boat and please post some photos.