89 TopGun Question

Notices

89 TopGun Question

Old 09-07-2013, 01:38 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Rik
Myth... Everyone that owns them and has posted on OSO has stated as much. Docking and maneuvering is better to same with the Arnesons vs. Bravos.
With twins ! But what about us Po boys with Singles ? When I was switching my drive I considered Areson but the lack of turning at the dock had me worried .
Old 09-07-2013, 04:58 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Rough water, fast speeds, heavy boats and large pitch props kill drives.

There is no magic HP number in my opinion for a drive to break. The guys who owns TRS drives with 700HP engines in a 30FT boat and uses it on a small inland lake, can probably have many years of trouble free operation.

The guy who has a 38 Top gun with 700HP engines, and boats in rough ocean or Great Lakes water, and try's to run the boat like it's the "apache offshore challenge" racing thru 6' seas, you'll be lucky to get a season out of them.

My main reason for selling my old 40FT Formula with TRS, was #1 the drives were blowing, and #2 the hull wasn't up to what I wanted to do. I wanted to RUN a boat in rougher water, and not drive like a little old lady.

My SSM IV's have over 200 hours on them. Since I've owned the boat, I've been pretty hard on the them the past 70 hours. 800HP blower engines past two seasons. Before that it was 650HP blower engines. Lots of running hard, airing out, and throttling. Last time I was out it was 75-80MPH thru some decent water aired out and just havin a blast. I could never do that with my TRS Formula. I plan to send them in this winter for a checkup. Point is, it is SO much more fun having a boat with some stronger drives.
Old 09-09-2013, 10:52 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WOW, What a wide variety of opinions on this TRS Thing. Looks like there is no set course for this,I will have mine gone through this winter.............Next Question, Where is the best place to send them???