Questions about straight bottom Top Guns >

Questions about straight bottom Top Guns

Notices

Questions about straight bottom Top Guns

Old 09-08-2014, 09:01 PM
mmb
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On the porpoise issue... Mine used to do it around 50-55 in flat water... After I took a class with Tres and drove it his way it never did it again!

Tres said he could fix the bottom to take care of it but after we got on the water with the boat turns out it was the way I was driving it and no bottom work was needed....
Old 09-08-2014, 09:07 PM
Registered

Received 228 Likes on 77 Posts

i mean its not like he was posting a thread about wanting to buy a flat bottom gun or anything.....
Old 09-08-2014, 09:19 PM
Registered

Received 3,020 Likes on 987 Posts

Originally Posted by 33outlawsst
I agree Red, Ive ridden in both and own one, All I can say, is my Bravo boat will porpoise if trimmed to high in flat water at 50 55, trim it down a bit, pin the sticks and it cleans right up, its a great ride, my bud's TRS TG does the same thing, its amazing how much peeps know about these boats but have never been in one, thanks Al Gore

They all porpoise, my 33 OL does the same thing, but not a 80
They do ALL porpoise if you don't run them right, absolutely. I've owned a 3A straight gun and have spent probably just as much time or more behind the wheel of straight bottom bravo cigs and #6 cigs. It's a fact the CG on Top guns were created with transmissions and motors moved forward. You had no other options when the gun was introduced.

I don't know if you've run that gun enough to experience it but CG is a pretty big deal. If I put the anchor up front in the bow it would make my boat hop. Running a buddies tiger with 6's down to key west, we had to pull the luggage back the boat porpoised so bad.

I would own a bravo straight hull cig anytime. I just really liked not really having to worry about my drives with the 3A's.

Bottom line; straight bottom cigs don't like smooth water whether you have SSM's or bravos. It's all good though. Drop some tab, kick the drives out, find that sweet spot and you're flying level and smooth.

Oh and because it was asked - bravo weighs 120lbs, TRS weighs 150lbs trans weighs 85lbs. Just FYI.

Last edited by thisistank; 09-08-2014 at 09:32 PM.
Old 09-08-2014, 09:35 PM
Registered

Received 365 Likes on 209 Posts

[ATTACH=CONFIG]529085[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]529086[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]529087[/ATTACH]

My take on the porpoise is it depends on where you boat. We have a straight bottom TRS on Lake Erie where its barely ever flat. So, it is rarely ever noticed. I think if one was running a river or inland lake it's a good talking point.. As for the cabin, I gotta agree with Tank and the others, it's the best for what we use it for..
Jr.
Here's a few pics from kelleys two weekends ago to get ya jonsen.
Attached Thumbnails Questions about straight bottom Top Guns-image.jpg   Questions about straight bottom Top Guns-image.jpg   Questions about straight bottom Top Guns-image.jpg  

Old 09-08-2014, 09:37 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you are not in a hurry for a tg, i will have mine nicely finished off by next spring. it's a 92 carbon fiber boat with a new transom, fresh 3's by speedmaster inc., fresh 1350 hubers, newer cmi's dry, etc. the boat is gutted right now, the interior will be all new in the cockpit, cabin is original (all white), seats are out of an 05 tg, paint is getting done next week, all of the metal is out getting powder coated. it will be a nice piece when it's done. it ran 81 with mild 600's with NO "hop". haven't decided if i will be putting in the 598/750 or the 1000's with 3a's. the boat is very light, rigged for 3's and rides very good. it also has a factory style race hatch (also have a flat padded hatch too).
Old 09-08-2014, 09:44 PM
Registered

Received 3,020 Likes on 987 Posts

Originally Posted by cig92
if you are not in a hurry for a tg, i will have mine nicely finished off by next spring. it's a 92 carbon fiber boat with a new transom, fresh 3's by speedmaster inc., fresh 1350 hubers, newer cmi's dry, etc. the boat is gutted right now, the interior will be all new in the cockpit, cabin is original (all white), seats are out of an 05 tg, paint is getting done next week, all of the metal is out getting powder coated. it will be a nice piece when it's done. it ran 81 with mild 600's with NO "hop". haven't decided if i will be putting in the 598/750 or the 1000's with 3a's. the boat is very light, rigged for 3's and rides very good. it also has a factory style race hatch (also have a flat padded hatch too).
Where's the pics of that project?! Sounds awesome.
Old 09-08-2014, 10:01 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cig92
PM box is full, shoot me a PM with details when you get a chance no rush
Old 09-09-2014, 07:50 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,051 Likes on 1,357 Posts

[QUOTE=thisistank;4185200]They do ALL porpoise if you don't run them right, absolutely.
I don't know if you've run that gun enough to experience it but CG is a pretty big deal. If I put the anchor up front in the bow it would make my boat hop. Running a buddies tiger with 6's down to key west, we had to pull the luggage back the boat porpoised so bad.
I would own a bravo straight hull cig anytime.

I agree I need more seat time to figure a few things out, but what I have discovered is mine seems very sensitive to side to side weight loading, over labor day everybody wanted on it, like it was carnival ride LOL, three one time, then 5, then 6, I haven't used the tabs once getting on plane, it would be nice to have someone who really knows these boats show me how to drive it correctly

Last edited by F-2 Speedy; 09-09-2014 at 08:21 AM.
Old 09-09-2014, 08:11 AM
Registered

Received 433 Likes on 193 Posts

Pictures required!
Old 09-09-2014, 08:44 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.offshoreonly.com/classifi...o58812-en.html

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.