Exhaust question >

Exhaust question

Notices

Exhaust question

Old 07-25-2015, 08:53 AM
Registered

Received 25 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Exhaust question

I'm thinking about installing some headers on my boat when I do the hydraulic steering. My exhaust comes out low on the transom so I can't go straight out like most of the tail pipe setup I see. Question is can I cut a set of tails and fit them to the coupler where the 90 turns down? That would let me keep the tips that are on the boat. Here r a couple of pics.
Attached Thumbnails Exhaust question-image.jpg   Exhaust question-image.jpg  
Old 07-25-2015, 10:03 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts

I doubt you'll be able to keep the exhaust tips where the are if you're going to do external hydraulic steering. Seeing that you have Stainless Marine exhaust already, they can make you a set of tailpipes that will exit higher. You just have to fill the current holes and cut new one. You might be able to squeeze the steering in there if you use really short tips.
Old 07-25-2015, 10:23 PM
Registered

I ordered the steering from Everett Performance, after talking to Paul the cylinders should mount in the center just under the tips. Don't want to cut and fill I can help it. I'm looking at a couple of different sets of headers, some CMI split top and some Stellings. I think I like the CMIs better???
Old 07-26-2015, 08:45 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why do you want to get rid of the Stainless Marine exhaust? If you have to relocate where the exhaust comes through the transom for the steering just have a new set of risers made. Stainless Marine exhaust will outlast headers.
Old 07-27-2015, 03:15 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by eightsecmopar
Why do you want to get rid of the Stainless Marine exhaust? If you have to relocate where the exhaust comes through the transom for the steering just have a new set of risers made. Stainless Marine exhaust will outlast headers.
Do you think the Stainless Marine performs as good as the CMI Headers? Also, headers look really sweet and I think they would sound better as well.

If it's a bad idea to change I will leave it like it is.
Old 07-27-2015, 06:10 PM
Registered

Received 158 Likes on 77 Posts

Don't do it, that is my old mistress. Stick with the Stainless Marine Headers. You will see no gains going CMI or old Stellings. They were new when I did the motors. Never in salt when I had the boat. If you want to add some bling have them stripped and polished on the off-season or ceramic coating of any color. Take the 5-10k that it will cost you to go to Headers and put it towards gas, maintenance and fun. No reason to change......just my 2 cents
Old 07-27-2015, 06:14 PM
Registered

Received 158 Likes on 77 Posts

And if you want tips/scilencers. I ran Drew Shotgun Exhuast Tips on that boat and it worked great.

http://www.drewmarine.com/products/shotgun/shotgun.html
Old 07-27-2015, 06:28 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree 100% with Cigrocket!!!
Old 07-27-2015, 07:16 PM
Registered

Received 4,234 Likes on 1,215 Posts

Originally Posted by eightsecmopar
I agree 100% with Cigrocket!!!

I agree with both of the 200% ! I went from header-aches to Stainless marine manifolds, no bling but no leaks.
Old 07-27-2015, 07:26 PM
Registered

That's why I wanted to ask. I bet I can find something else to spend the money on.......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.