hatch pad drain?

Notices

hatch pad drain?

Old 03-31-2016, 06:36 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default hatch pad drain?

It seems typical that the sun pad wood rots on these engine hatches. Are these called the twin step or racing hatch? Once I got the pad and what was left of the frame off and cleaned up, it is evident why the wood and vinyl rots. Once water gets under there, it has no where to go. the only way for it to drain is to flow forward and up hill. I would like to find a way for it to drain, but a simple hole would drip water on the engine, possibly distributor or electronics, obviously not good. The hatch seems to be hollow in the back where the vent is, but I am not sure that it drains.

Has Cigarette addressed this at all in more recent years by adding a way for it to drain? This is an 2002 model.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]553256[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]553257[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails hatch pad drain?-hatch-pad-rot.jpg   hatch pad drain?-hatch-no-drain.jpg  
Old 03-31-2016, 07:01 AM
dcb
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

When I had mine removed for repairs, I drilled a small hole in the hatch at the lowest point in the rear where the pad ends - this drains onto the "shelf" above the engine where the hatch is attached.
Old 03-31-2016, 07:12 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dcb
When I had mine removed for repairs, I drilled a small hole in the hatch at the lowest point in the rear where the pad ends - this drains onto the "shelf" above the engine where the hatch is attached.
That is great for the outer fingers and glad to know it will work. Any thoughts on the center section? I don't believe it is over the "shelf" in the rear. Thanks for the reply.
Old 03-31-2016, 12:16 PM
dcb
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I cant remember if I did anything for the center section - I will look tonight when I get home from work.