Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Cigarette
Newbie Top Gun owner question. >

Newbie Top Gun owner question.

Notices

Newbie Top Gun owner question.

Old 05-04-2017, 09:09 PM
Registered

Received 3,010 Likes on 987 Posts

I always laid a towel down on the deck under the wind screen and then placed it on the towel. Then climbed up and walked to the bow. When pulling anchor, usually had wife drive the gun while I pulled the rope, chain and anchor and dealt with it. Huge PITA, a lot to be said for windless anchors! In any type of swell or current, side anchor don't work so well.
Old 05-04-2017, 10:10 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 224 Likes on 129 Posts

I've been a bumper/ rope bich on the same year boat many times, you step on one of the rungs on the base of the bolster, then step up to the edge of the dash, avoid stepping on the chart cover, then up to the top, then avoid stepping on or kicking the wind screen... it's as easy as that
Old 05-05-2017, 07:02 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 591 Likes on 271 Posts

[ATTACH=CONFIG]567106[/ATTACH]

Tie up to someone!
Attached Thumbnails Newbie Top Gun owner question.-dave-me.jpg  
Old 05-05-2017, 07:42 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like until glassdave builds the door in question (which I agree he will have a GREAT market for on this forum alone) it's trying the methods mentioned here. I have always used a Fortress (aluminum) anchor. Found them to be the best. Just realized though my current Fortress will not be sufficient for my TG. Looks like I'll sell my current one and buy a bigger Fortress.
With regards to rafting up. Sometimes rafting up not possible if it is during the week when its quiet.
Thanks again to everyone for their advice/suggestions.

Actually began doing some research on anchors. It looks like a "box anchor" might be a better choice. Never used one but it looks like this type gets great reviews on here, better than Fortress.

Last edited by steve chalupka; 05-05-2017 at 08:06 AM.
Old 05-05-2017, 08:54 AM
Registered

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

The box anchor works great. since it folds flat & has a bag, i would place it on the fairing then climb up & over to the deck to them throw out.
Old 05-05-2017, 09:30 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by steve chalupka
Looks like until glassdave builds the door in question (which I agree he will have a GREAT market for on this forum alone) it's trying the methods mentioned here. I have always used a Fortress (aluminum) anchor. Found them to be the best. Just realized though my current Fortress will not be sufficient for my TG. Looks like I'll sell my current one and buy a bigger Fortress.
With regards to rafting up. Sometimes rafting up not possible if it is during the week when its quiet.
Thanks again to everyone for their advice/suggestions.

Actually began doing some research on anchors. It looks like a "box anchor" might be a better choice. Never used one but it looks like this type gets great reviews on here, better than Fortress.
You will like a Box Anchor, best on the market. Throw it over the side of the boat, and then walk the end of the line up to the bow.
Old 05-05-2017, 10:19 PM
Registered

Received 4,285 Likes on 1,236 Posts

The foldable step below the speaker is another option... it`s bigger than it looks

Old 05-06-2017, 09:15 AM
bck
Charter Member#568
Charter Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Drake22.250
Glass Dave is in Michigan, look him up in the fiberglass section. He currently does new style dash caps to older guns. He has mentioned that he is working on copying the step door but it's a huge project. Told him if he builds them, they will sell.
Toledo Ohio.

Last edited by bck; 05-06-2017 at 12:39 PM.