Motor guy question...s...

Notices

Motor guy question...s...

Old 05-27-2017, 09:42 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 68 Likes on 40 Posts
Default Motor guy question...s...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]567752[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]567753[/ATTACH]Morning guys, looks like this weekend is going to be BS, weather is supposed to be ****.. I've got a couple projects that I need to take care of so I guess this is a good time..

The pressing issue here is to prep the boat for the cold salt h20 up here in Maine, zincs and cooling system mods. Currently I have restrictors in the T-stat hounsings. I talked to Tony (of CMS fame-my engines) and he said throw a 140 T-stat in there and put on a set of Stainless Marine cast crossovers.
Ok good enough, I understand that but I got thinking about it overthinking probably; I already have pretty much the same thing as what he suggested. So I have this: http://www.stainlessmarine.com/shop/...port-entry-ea/
and he suggested this:http://www.stainlessmarine.com/shop/...t-and-stbd-ea/
Of course I cant get ahold of him now, no big deal but I really kinda wondering if I could just run what I have with the addition of a set of 140 SS drilled thermostats? One additional question would be with the T-stat housing riser you see in the pics, run it, don't, ??
Anyone have anything to add? Thanks guys.
Attached Thumbnails Motor guy question...s...-img_2240.jpg   Motor guy question...s...-img_2238.jpg  

Last edited by Rhythm and Blues; 05-27-2017 at 09:46 AM.
Old 05-28-2017, 08:11 AM
Registered

Received 4,354 Likes on 1,248 Posts

It`s the same thing, yours doesn`t swivel and the other one does. That`s the only difference I see. Both are 316 stainless . You`re good run it as is. That`s my $.02
Old 05-28-2017, 08:48 AM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

The cast one doesn't have a bypass. The bypass and thermostat together cause extreme and rapid temp fluctuations. I'd just go to a smaller restrictor and put something in the bypass to restrict that a bit so you can get the temps up a little
Old 05-28-2017, 09:40 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Unlimited jd
The cast one doesn't have a bypass. The bypass and thermostat together cause extreme and rapid temp fluctuations. I'd just go to a smaller restrictor and put something in the bypass to restrict that a bit so you can get the temps up a little

Thanks fellas; but in regards to the comment above, both kits, the one I have and the cast kit are plumed exactly the same, both kits have bypasses, he just told me to use the cast kit (dunno why) and with a drilled thermostat; which I have in stock.
Old 05-29-2017, 04:40 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Well, everything seemed to run fine yesterday; I maintained 130-150. Only strange thing the STB motor warmed up to a conservative alarm temp 200 on the way home maybe an hour into the trip. I stopped, (brought my hand held inferred thermometer with me) and shot various places on the blocks, headers, heads and couldn't see a glairing difference it temps, raw water pumps were nice and cold, only difference was the actual raw water pressure from the STB engine was noticeably less coming out of the tattle tale... Guess I'll pull the the pump on that motor and take a look..
Old 05-29-2017, 08:34 AM
Registered

Sounds like the pump might be taking a dump.
Old 05-29-2017, 09:13 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by ICDEDPPL
Sounds like the pump might be taking a dump.
Yup, kinda what I was thinkin; I've got a couple kits; probably just pull them both to establish a base line. I forgot to ask when they last did them when I bought the boat. Personally, at the beginning of every season. I had so many things on the list that I overlooked that one...

Last edited by Rhythm and Blues; 05-29-2017 at 09:15 AM.
Old 05-29-2017, 08:05 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

I had a very interesting time today doing some exploratory surgery. I pulled both pumps; when I disassembled the STB pump, low and behold there was a Globe run dry impeller in there that looked fine... Hmm... Funny, I looked at these in the Hamilton Marine store the other day and when I got home googled them, a ton of hits came back from OSO; I'd have to say general consensus was their not so great. I have Hardin pump bodies and perhaps the combination isn't really cutting it, dunno if these pumps have a slightly oversize Id making a run dry type pump; guess I'll have to call them in the AM. When I disassembled the Pt side; I found a stock jabsco impeller... So, I'm not sure where to go from here. I blew threw the suction and discharge hoses on the STB side and it was effortless... Anyone notice a pressure difference on their motor with the power steering cooler on it?
Old 05-29-2017, 11:48 PM
Registered

STB motor had that gay impeller? There`s your problem.
Throw in garbage get a stock black impeller.
Old 05-30-2017, 04:40 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by ICDEDPPL
STB motor had that gay impeller? There`s your problem.
Throw in garbage get a stock black impeller.
Oh hell yeah, I forgot to mention that I tossed it and put a new stock black impeller in both motors.
I ran it on the hose but couldnt really tell anything besides it was pumping.. Guess we'll see next time I put the boat in if that was the issue..
But, now I'm questioning the Harden pumps; looks like there's some debate weather or not these pumps produce the same psi as the stock plastic pumps. I've got to get ahead of the old owner this morning and find out what the chain of events was that led to changing the pumps/impellers/etc... Need a little back history...

Last edited by Rhythm and Blues; 05-30-2017 at 06:25 AM.