Top Gun Winter updates and fixes 2019

Notices

Top Gun Winter updates and fixes 2019

Old 01-19-2019, 06:17 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts
Default Top Gun Winter updates and fixes 2019

Decided to leave the power that came with gun in the boat, many good parts there, supposed to be low hour done in 1999, Had a issue back in July that broke a valve and went through a piston, due to sloppy guide slowed valve to beat itselfntill it broke.. fixed that and keep doubting till mid October, no other issues besides have some milkshake in oil I could not shake...
kept looking for that issue the rest of the season with lots of oil changes lol

so so I knew heads needed done and yanked them... what I found was disturbing and again makes me not trust others...

heads on starboard had dual springs and 2.30 intake valences
heads on port had single springs with 2.25 intake calves
canes are flat tappet starboard heads springs were 130/360 and port tested at 100/280!! The port heads with weak springs wore springs into head casting, beat the hell out of the seats, floating bad... as expected with Toyota spring pressures. popped a head gasket on starboard engine that led to some water in oil, some lobes on cam, so replacing that too and more... fun times!!!

Mismatched retainers, sloppy guides, one set of heads had cleaned up chambers the other did not...

so so we are redoing the merlin 345 grumpys and going to clean up throt and chambers some thinking a easy 30 cfm gain while in there, plan down the road is to get new heads and go solid rollers, can’t do that now $$ wise so fixing what I got, boat went 73 with issues maybe I will see 74! I honestly don’t care much about the number I am more concerned with turn key, the mistress hurt me bad for speed wants, this boats fun in the 70’s and going every weekend is the goal.

Fix water tank that spring a leak over summer, a little more stereo and some cleaning is all I plan for, I love this old bucket it’s a great boat!!

Last edited by Full Force; 01-19-2019 at 06:20 AM.
Old 01-19-2019, 06:32 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 248 Likes on 124 Posts

That's why every time I see a boat for sale with blue power and the add says "top ends freshened x hours ago" I cringe lol...never know what dork was in there messing with stuff and what led to the "top end refresh" were both done? did it drop a valve? is the other a time bomb? uggghhhh sucks man never know what you're getting sometimes....just shows to some peoples integrity....Good luck!! still jealous you have a gun lol

Stewart
Old 01-19-2019, 06:37 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Was nice to see my liner tabbed into hull, a few friends with guns have a huge shake in cabin when running due to liner not tabbed, mine being a super early build does not have the liner extended into closet which is nice I didn’t have to destroy half my boat to get the water tank out for repair, need to weld a seam that split on that.
Old 01-19-2019, 06:50 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by BBYSTWY
That's why every time I see a boat for sale with blue power and the add says "top ends freshened x hours ago" I cringe lol...never know what dork was in there messing with stuff and what led to the "top end refresh" were both done? did it drop a valve? is the other a time bomb? uggghhhh sucks man never know what you're getting sometimes....just shows to some peoples integrity....Good luck!! still jealous you have a gun lol

Stewart
Yea it's more annoying then anything, I have been through much worse, I wrestled with putting mistress engines in this boat and now kinda wish I did as they made great power and ran flawless 4 seasons now, that being said these have nice parts besides heads and cams (just old school) I also think if I sold these and someone had issues.... well you know what happens then... I will fix em up and keep boating a while...
Old 01-19-2019, 07:02 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 248 Likes on 124 Posts

Yea for sure...at least you know what you'll have now and have piece of mind knowing there's not junk in there ya know
Old 01-27-2019, 08:01 PM
Registered

Received 4,255 Likes on 1,226 Posts

Good luck , make those engine great again!!!!
Old 01-28-2019, 04:43 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

LOL yes!
Old 02-05-2019, 08:39 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Working with the dinosaur heads a little...
Old 02-05-2019, 08:40 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Old 03-29-2019, 04:08 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Flowed heads the other day....

gained 37 CFM intake and 46 exhaust at .700 lift... not bad for a partial port

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.