Question involving a transom notch

Notices

Question involving a transom notch

Old 03-31-2019, 02:10 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 249 Likes on 125 Posts
Default Question involving a transom notch

Just wondering if anyone out there has added a notch to the transom of a non notched gun or café racer with good results? I have found that only 3 or so cafe's came with the notch and is there a reason for that? It seems like it wouldn't be that big of a deal to add one especially if one was say like redoing the transom or stringers or whatever....I see claims of 3-5 mph gained with the notch so am just wondering if anyone has added one??

Thanks
Old 03-31-2019, 05:10 PM
Registered

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Hi BBWSTY search this forum I put a notch in 1985 Flat Deck . I did it so I could run number 5 drives and avoid using stand-off boxes . The thread was called how to put a notch in a flat deck .
Rick G.

Old 03-31-2019, 05:25 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Will do thanks!! How did it work out for you?? I'm sure it's probably all outlined in that thread but for sake of sparking thoughts on this one??
Old 03-31-2019, 06:02 PM
Registered

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Boat runs great . Still working on prop combination but there is no porpose over 40 mph . I also have 3 inches of spacers in the drives and this year I am taking out 1 inch to free up the prop and hopefully not effect the planing . It jumps up on plane at 3000 rpm in a few seconds .
RG.
Old 04-01-2019, 06:35 AM
Registered

Received 433 Likes on 193 Posts

Rick, what props are you running now? Also, where is prop shaft measured to bottom of hull?

I spaced down 2" last year, going to go to 1" this year. I noticed that it simply could not get above a certain RPM with such big diameter props.
Old 04-01-2019, 06:46 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts

From what I know unless your running shorter x dimension it’s not a huge gain, maybe 1/2 mph but also adding the famous porposing issue, my gun has no notch and does not hop like ones with notch with deep drives, the key is to get props into clean water
Old 04-01-2019, 06:50 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

I gotcha...makes sense..would boxes do essentially the same thing and not give you the hop?? The boats in question really are an 87 gun with konrads no notch obviously and a 90 café with bravos and no notch...not that I would do it if I ended up with one of these just curious really more than anything...trying to spark some conversation on the subject

thanks guys!!
Old 04-01-2019, 08:48 AM
"Unregistered Gun"
Platinum Member

Received 73 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by BBYSTWY
I gotcha...makes sense..would boxes do essentially the same thing and not give you the hop?? The boats in question really are an 87 gun with konrads no notch obviously and a 90 café with bravos and no notch...not that I would do it if I ended up with one of these just curious really more than anything...trying to spark some conversation on the subject

thanks guys!!
Is the Konrad TG the one you looked at back in November? If so, I had seen on FB over the weekend that its getting parted out due to wet transom and stringers.
Old 04-01-2019, 09:26 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Yup same one...I saw it said sale pending but was thinking of calling on it again and see what the story is....guess that settles that lol...still looking at a café as well

Might still be a decent purchase on that gun...if the price is right of course....and depending on how far forward on the stringers is wet
Old 04-01-2019, 09:31 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,043 Likes on 1,355 Posts

Originally Posted by BBYSTWY
Yup same one...I saw it said sale pending but was thinking of calling on it again and see what the story is....guess that settles that lol...still looking at a café as well

Might still be a decent purchase on that gun...if the price is right of course....and depending on how far forward on the stringers is wet
If your not interested , Is there a contact # for the soggy TG......friend is looking for a pair of Konrads if its being parted out........I'm not on FB

Last edited by F-2 Speedy; 04-01-2019 at 09:35 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.