Notices

Cafe?

Old 09-17-2019, 06:09 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cafe?

First time posting...been following for many years. We still have a few good boating weeks left at LOTO and plans for next summer are in the works. We’ve only had family open bow boats and have been very loyal to Cobalt. Definitely want an older Cig for our first go fast, and leaning towards a Cafe. I’ve read about the tab issue’s, but don’t have a good understanding yet. Was this only the early ones or all of them. Any other build quality issues and tips in my search would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 09-17-2019, 06:39 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Great lines

I loved my Cafe. It was a tank. Great for battle, but slow. Twin 605HP and the best I ever saw was 69.8mph.
Old 09-17-2019, 08:15 PM
Registered

I have one for sale. tank of a boat. can't beat the ride. 496 EFI's with 128 hours. 62mph.
Old 09-18-2019, 06:14 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by theblakeolson View Post
I have one for sale. tank of a boat. can't beat the ride. 496 EFI's with 128 hours. 62mph.
Assuming yours is the Texas one that I’ve seen pics of....love the clean graphics. Was your boat at or for sale in the ozarks a few years ago.....just remember the 496’s, but may have been a TG, though.
Old 09-18-2019, 09:08 AM
Registered

Yes sir. thank you! I'm not sure if it was in LOTO or not at some point. I brought it to Texas from Cumberland. She's solid, and ready for a new home
Old 09-18-2019, 03:20 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Osage Drifter View Post
First time posting...been following for many years. We still have a few good boating weeks left at LOTO and plans for next summer are in the works. We’ve only had family open bow boats and have been very loyal to Cobalt. Definitely want an older Cig for our first go fast, and leaning towards a Cafe. I’ve read about the tab issue’s, but don’t have a good understanding yet. Was this only the early ones or all of them. Any other build quality issues and tips in my search would be appreciated. Thanks
Some of the early Cafe's had tabbing issues where the stringers meet the transom and bulkheads. The tabbing was too short, only 1-2 inches. Any stress would pull the tabbing loose. Easy to see and most were recalled and fixed by Cigarette under warranty.
Old 09-18-2019, 09:12 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 118 Likes on 60 Posts

I thought it was a jig issue where the tab was drilled.

Bottom line is I wouldn't worry about this issue unless you are looking at a very early boat...

Mine is for sale as well in classifieds..... It's a boat that needs a little TLC although I think it's going to Dustin.
Old 09-24-2019, 09:57 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I think your talking about 2 different traits here. Tabbing referring to the joining of transverse to longitudinal frames. The other tab issue was not a cafe issue I dont think. I believe it was a 38 flatdeck or early gun issue. Just going from memory here..
Old 09-26-2019, 04:38 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Osage Drifter View Post
The tab issue is the lag into stringer, it can lead to rot easier, just something to look at, also the Strake was known to have in issue around helm, I do think it was mainly the early ones.. but just go over it well..
Old 09-26-2019, 08:45 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Full Force View Post
The tab issue is the lag into stringer, it can lead to rot easier, just something to look at, also the Strake was known to have in issue around helm, I do think it was mainly the early ones.. but just go over it well..
agreed, the 86 had that strake issue. I looked at one with it..