How #6 vs NXT drives affect the value of a boat

Notices

How #6 vs NXT drives affect the value of a boat

Old 10-03-2019, 09:06 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,051 Likes on 1,357 Posts

Originally Posted by blewsmoke
Been told that the NXT is more efficient vs the 6 because it only has one down shaft vs the #6 having 2. Was told that it would take more power to get the #6 to the same speed as the NXT, but I don't know if that is true or not. I am replacing a NXT tranny right now and rebuilding a NXT drive completely. Fun stuff
Are you replacing the trans with the same ?
Old 10-03-2019, 09:09 AM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

The bam kit has an extension box that goes in between the transom and transom assembly to make some room for the transmission. It’s short though I think 5”?
Old 10-03-2019, 09:20 AM
Registered

Received 35 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by F-2 Speedy
Are you replacing the trans with the same ?
Yes. Completely rebuilt tranny going in, will have a spare that I will get rebuild so if starboard gives me trouble, I have a rebuilt spare.
Old 10-03-2019, 09:23 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Unlimited jd
The bam kit has an extension box that goes in between the transom and transom assembly to make some room for the transmission. It’s short though I think 5”?
checked into this, but damn that is expensive. I am opting to keep the merc tranny's and then when we do rebuilds on the motors, add the Marine Design Corporations drive guardian that should up the reliability and longevity of the trannies and drives.
Old 10-03-2019, 10:30 AM
Registered

Received 157 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by blewsmoke
Been told that the NXT is more efficient vs the 6 because it only has one down shaft vs the #6 having 2. Was told that it would take more power to get the #6 to the same speed as the NXT, but I don't know if that is true or not. I am replacing a NXT tranny right now and rebuilding a NXT drive completely. Fun stuff
I always heard the same but it’s not true. The 6 is just so efficient how it cuts through the water. Did you blow a trans this year? How many hours? I broke one this year at 275 hrs, I was trying to stretch it one more year but my plan back fired lol
Old 10-03-2019, 11:27 AM
Registered

No did not blow one, but since I had the drive off and this is port side I figured let’s do em both. It’s the tranny that’s hard to get at I figured I would do them both and be done with that side. Surprisingly enough, I think this tranny is a virgin at 430 hours on the boat. Don’t think it’s been touched.
Old 10-03-2019, 12:34 PM
Registered

Received 3,020 Likes on 987 Posts

I think Gary (39 Unlimited) would be the best to answer your original question. He's built at least 2 new Cigs and opted for 6's over NXT's and sold said boat as he updated. He'd be able to give you first hand numbers I'm sure.

On a side note, I'd upgrade to 6's over NXT's all day long if possible. Just nothing more bad azz than 6's hanging off the back. (Yes, even over surface drives in my opinion).
Old 10-03-2019, 01:37 PM
Registered

Received 157 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by thisistank
I think Gary (39 Unlimited) would be the best to answer your original question. He's built at least 2 new Cigs and opted for 6's over NXT's and sold said boat as he updated. He'd be able to give you first hand numbers I'm sure.

On a side note, I'd upgrade to 6's over NXT's all day long if possible. Just nothing more bad azz than 6's hanging off the back. (Yes, even over surface drives in my opinion).
my buddy owned Gary’s old 39, that’s where I’m getting my info. I’ve ridden and drove it multiple times. It’s one bad azz boat, it’s now in the Detroit area
Old 10-14-2019, 10:27 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks, everyone. Some good info in there. As always, I appreciate it.