Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Cigarette
39 Unlimited weight/towing >

39 Unlimited weight/towing

Notices

39 Unlimited weight/towing

Old 10-24-2019, 11:38 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking at the paperwork on the trailer, it def has electric over hydraulic brakes on all three axles/6 wheels so that's good. It is not a high end trailer, its aluminum I beam built in 2014 and from price and pics I have of it, it appears to be a bolt together I beam. Having a welded/custom trailer made for the boat is something I'm strongly considering doing for the reasons you guys are mentioned and more, given the number of miles per season I'm likely to be pulling the boat around I think it would be a worthwhile investment probably.

current owner tells me he's been pulling it on long trips with same exact truck as me with airbags and it does great for him so far.

the payload and insurance comment is for sure a good/valid point. payload capacity on my truck appears to be at least 3K lbs. So using the estimate you posted Ryanot1, seems I'd likely be ok there.
Old 10-24-2019, 11:58 AM
Registered

Received 1,325 Likes on 739 Posts

Originally Posted by Griff
You will be borderline and probably slightly over when fully loaded https://www.chevrolet.com/content/da...wing-guide.pdf
So if I am reading this right and the OP has the normal 4x4 short bed crew cab his conventional tow rating max will be 13,000 lbs? I know still have t look at the total but what does a 39 on a aluminum trailer with fuel, stuff weigh?
Old 10-24-2019, 12:27 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Wildman_grafix
So if I am reading this right and the OP has the normal 4x4 short bed crew cab his conventional tow rating max will be 13,000 lbs? I know still have t look at the total but what does a 39 on a aluminum trailer with fuel, stuff weigh?

the likely weight is the same question I'm trying to get a handle on. Cig's website says a 39 is 11,300lbs as I recall. And the site says a 38 is 9,900 as I recall. Just seems like such a big difference for a boat that is barely bigger. My guess would be Cig is quoting based on assumption of the 38 having naturally aspirated engines and bravo style drives on it vs assumption that 39 would be ordered with 700's and 6's on it. That would have to be the reason behind such a large weight difference quoted in the specs on the site I'd think.
Old 10-24-2019, 12:51 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,295 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by SilverGhost
the likely weight is the same question I'm trying to get a handle on. Cig's website says a 39 is 11,300lbs as I recall. And the site says a 38 is 9,900 as I recall. Just seems like such a big difference for a boat that is barely bigger. My guess would be Cig is quoting based on assumption of the 38 having naturally aspirated engines and bravo style drives on it vs assumption that 39 would be ordered with 700's and 6's on it. That would have to be the reason behind such a large weight difference quoted in the specs on the site I'd think.
correct, transmissions, superchargers nxt and #6 style gimbles and drives
Old 10-24-2019, 08:15 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 771 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by SilverGhost
11,300 plus 1300 in fuel, plus 400 in other “gear” plus a 3,000 lb trailer puts you at 16,000. I always assume I am towing 14,500-15,000 lbs. From there I'd buy a truck that will keep you from giving your insurance company any reason to deny a claim.
Old 10-26-2019, 05:49 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts

My 38 gun is 13,300 on scale with barely any fuel, I have a 2009 F250 it toss amazing, I can’t say with GM as I never used one but I get zero sway and zero pucker moments so I can’t see it being too bad at all, most likely a tad over limits but I’m gonna say many people are when loaded with fuel and gear, it is what it is, as far as can it? For sure hell I put a 50’ nitro behind mine and was even more amazed as it towed with ease (one time tow not habit) 500 miles home I looked a few times I was doing 75-80 almost crapped myself I didn’t even know.

Todays trucks tow amazing and honestly the biggest scare is the insurance thing, guys will say that’s never been an issue but there is a reason many insistence company’s are asking what you tow with these days, good luck!
Old 10-26-2019, 05:51 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts

The nitro looked huge behind truck lol
Old 10-26-2019, 07:20 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

can never have too much truck.. always better to have it and not need it.. the pic of the Tiger and the blue dually was just over 21k lbs with 1/4 tank gas... the blue 01 dually is now for hauling the 20 and the white 09 diesel for the Tiger...
Old 10-26-2019, 01:17 PM
Registered

Received 793 Likes on 448 Posts

^^^^ always best to color coordinate your boats to the pull trucks when you have options - sweet rides (Duallies and the boats)

+1 on having more truck than the bare min - Sh*t happens fast when you have to react when someone insists on cutting you off or pinching in your lane or just miserable greasy roads and you have to lock it down in a hurry
Old 10-26-2019, 03:31 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by speicher lane
^^^^ always best to color coordinate your boats to the pull trucks when you have options - sweet rides (Duallies and the boats)

+1 on having more truck than the bare min - Sh*t happens fast when you have to react when someone insists on cutting you off or pinching in your lane or just miserable greasy roads and you have to lock it down in a hurry
exactly, the blue one is a 8.1 litre and an allison and has 187k miles and has been a perfect truck. we compared when we went to lake champlain, a friend with a diesel got better mileage, but mine with the gas was less expensive because of the cost of diesel. I got the 09 with all leather and only 47k miles for 29k... couldnt pass it up.. and each boat needs its own truck.lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.