SSM 3 TO SSM6 conversion >

SSM 3 TO SSM6 conversion

Notices

SSM 3 TO SSM6 conversion

Old 03-28-2020, 02:03 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default SSM 3 TO SSM6 conversion

How bad would this be? Would I have to change my engine heights? Transom is not cut yet for drives but exhaust holes are.

Is this completely stupid or worth looking at.
Old 03-28-2020, 02:56 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

boat will be a lot happier with the 6s you can run a much higher drive height and the boat will get on plane easier also. have converted a number 3 top gun to a number 6 boat. if you have any questions feel free to call. Regards Dan
Old 03-28-2020, 03:12 PM
Registered

This is for my 36 widebody. I wonder if anyone else has put 6's on one.

Any differences in set up between wet sump and dry sump as far as engine height ect.
Old 03-29-2020, 12:33 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

If the drives are plug in style the the drive height determines the engine height . If You are going drive line then I believe you have some latitude .
the 36 wide body is one of my favourite hulls . If you are going to convert you may consider adding a notch to the hull .
post your progress if you proceed with the conversion .
Rick G.
Old 03-30-2020, 04:55 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Rick G View Post
If the drives are plug in style the the drive height determines the engine height . If You are going drive line then I believe you have some latitude .
the 36 wide body is one of my favourite hulls . If you are going to convert you may consider adding a notch to the hull .
post your progress if you proceed with the conversion .
Rick G.
This is what I was trying to determine. My engines are plug in style and I wonder if I keep the engines at the current height how much would that change my current prop height and would it be optimal for a #6. I don't want to do any more cutting on the boat than we already have. This is idea is just due to an opportunity to acquire some 6's at reasonable cost.

I don't want to change engine height as I would have to have new tailpieces made for the headers.
Old 03-30-2020, 05:43 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

I see Dan posted on this thread . He is a wealth of knowledge . In order to determine whether or not you can leave the engines where they you need to know if the 6 plug in transom assembly is similar in dimension to the 3 , secondly you have to determine the proper X dimension . This is where Dan will be invaluable . You have to compare the dimensions of the 3 to 6 drives . Its not as confusing as I am making it sound . I would guess that a 3 to 6 conversion will more than likely require moving the motors . But it is just a guess as I have never rigged a 6 drive boat Just TRS , 3 and 5 drives . Rick
Old 03-30-2020, 05:52 PM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

My memory is a little foggy, but I think ssm 3’s are 24.311 shaft to shaft, 6’s 18.5”.
first find the x dimension of your current setup.
I think on your wide body the 6’s should be even to 1” below the bottom which will equate to 17.5-18.5” x dimension.
if it’s a factory ssm 3 boat, cig put the prop shafts 5-6” below the bottom meaning a 17.3-18.3 x dimension.
Old 03-30-2020, 07:25 PM
Registered

Thank you thats what i was looking for. My drives are too deep in my opinion i think they are at least 6" below the bottom.

Old 03-30-2020, 07:48 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Wow those are low . Rick.
Old 03-30-2020, 08:08 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I would put #5’s on extension boxes and call it a day. A lot simpler and the 5’s are pretty stout.

OSO Sponsor
OSO Advertiser
OSO Advertiser

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

OSO Advertiser