Thoughts On This? >

Thoughts On This?

Notices

Thoughts On This?

Old 11-02-2020, 06:28 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Thoughts On This?

Hi all. Newbie here. New not just to Cig but to boat ownership in general. I've been lusting after Cigarette boats for most of my 55 years. Now I'm in a position to start looking for one, albeit a used, small one.

that brings me to the reason for my post. I came across this ad here on the South Florida Craigslist. The poster listed no model, just the info below. Is this a reputable year, model? Is it too many hours on motors? What should I be looking for or asking the seller?

Here is the CL post as written:
"Up for sale is a clean 1986 28 ft Cigarette. This boat is in great condition and shows well. It is powered by twin Mercruiser 5.7s with TRS out drives. The motors have about 380 hours on them and are turn key. Cruising speed is 45mph with a top end speed of 65mph. It has a 100 gallon fuel tank. Trailer is about 2 years old and is in great condition. This boat needs nothing, it has been professionally maintained and kept under roof and cover. Ready to hit the water. Selling with life jackets, anchor, ropes and fenders. Asking $28,500 OBO."

Thank you...

Last edited by Geoff9; 11-03-2020 at 03:40 AM. Reason: Photos too small
Old 11-02-2020, 08:14 PM
Registered

Received 203 Likes on 112 Posts

I will answer one of your questions. The model is a 28ss. And the pictures are too small to tell much else. Congrats on getting a boat.
The following users liked this post:
SB (11-02-2020)
Old 11-03-2020, 07:00 AM
Registered

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Nice looking Cigarette, congrats.
Old 11-03-2020, 07:10 AM
Registered

Received 469 Likes on 277 Posts

Find a reputable marine surveyor and have a complete bow to stern assessment. They do not always tell the real story of the boat but should find red flags (transom/stringer rot) etc.

The 350 mags are a decent, common motor that require yearly service and found in everything from this cig to sea ray day cruisers 350 Mags pushing a TRS is not going to strain the drives so reliability in a drive that is in good condition isn't going to send up red flags.

The issue with Salt water engines is they rot from the inside out, Again, you have to rely on a GOOD surveyor.

After that, its a used boat so you have to cross your fingers, but it is a CIG and they do live up to their reputation.
The following 2 users liked this post by speicher lane:
Geoff9 (11-03-2020), rak rua (11-03-2020)
Old 11-03-2020, 07:19 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 533 Likes on 242 Posts

If I’m reading the first post correctly, the op hasn’t bought the boat yet.
If not, they are a very desirable boat but be careful, it’s getting old. Recommend a marine survey, so much to check on a old boat. Engines, drives, electrical stuff and importantly, the hull. Need to check transom floor and stringers to see if they’re solid, could easily be rotten with moisture. Hours sound very low for a boat that age but nothing is impossible. Engines may have been replaced at some time or perhaps 380 hours since rebuilds...?

Have it thoroughly surveyed, they are classic old Cigarettes and worth owning but can also become very expensive if they need work.

Good luck.

RR

EDIT.... Well said speicher lane ^^^^ you type a lot quicker than I do!

Last edited by rak rua; 11-03-2020 at 07:59 AM.
Geoff9 (11-03-2020)
Old 11-03-2020, 07:48 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by speicher lane View Post
Find a reputable marine surveyor and have a complete bow to stern assessment. They do not always tell the real story of the boat but should find red flags (transom/stringer rot) etc.

The 350 mags are a decent, common motor that require yearly service and found in everything from this cig to sea ray day cruisers 350 Mags pushing a TRS is not going to strain the drives so reliability in a drive that is in good condition isn't going to send up red flags.

The issue with Salt water engines is they rot from the inside out, Again, you have to rely on a GOOD surveyor.

After that, its a used boat so you have to cross your fingers, but it is a CIG and they do live up to their reputation.
thank you. Any idea what a ballpark estimate for a complete inspection should be?
Old 11-03-2020, 07:50 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by rak rua View Post
If Iím reading the first post correctly, the op hasnít bought the boat yet.
If not, they are a very desirable boat but be careful, itís getting old. Recommend a marine survey, so much to check on a old boat. Engines, drives, electrical stuff and importantly, the hull. Need to check transom floor and stringers to see if theyíre solid, could easily be rotten wit( moisture. Hours sound very low for a boat that age but nothing is impossible. Engines may have been replaced at some time or perhaps 380 hours since rebuilds...?

Have it thoroughly surveyed, they are classic old Cigarettes and worth owning but can also become very expensive if they need work.

Good luck.

RR

EDIT.... Well said speicher lane ^^^^ you type a lot quicker than I do!
you are correct. I haven't purchased this boat yet. Trying to get all the information possible before I do. Hate to waste even $25K.
Old 11-03-2020, 07:51 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1,199 Likes on 582 Posts

Originally Posted by Geoff9 View Post
thank you. Any idea what a ballpark estimate for a complete inspection should be?
Id say in the 700 to 1000 buck range, maybe a tic more to check the engines and drives
Geoff9 (11-03-2020)
Old 11-03-2020, 08:07 AM
Registered

Received 319 Likes on 175 Posts

Those engines are from the late 90ís
SB (11-03-2020)
Old 11-03-2020, 10:59 AM
Registered

Received 102 Likes on 44 Posts

Good looking old school ride. Hopefully it all checks out.
96scarab (11-03-2020)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.