1986 Cafe Racer >

1986 Cafe Racer

Notices

1986 Cafe Racer

Old 12-23-2020, 10:14 AM
Registered

Received 581 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by bajaman
Beautiful boat! I mean, if those are recent pics...that thing is in GREAT shape. Obviously very well cared for. I guess my only complaint would be...WHY are there "unfixed" items on the boat...like the trim cables, speedometer? Chit like that drives me nuts...and indicates a certain...laziness?
Great looking house and Cobalt, by the way.
Thank you so much! The Cobalt is absolutely perfect for where I live. I guess I’m just wanting something bigger to go exploring on different bodies of water. My goal is to do more traveling here soon. The wife and I work way too much and are both getting close to 50. I say it’s time to start enjoying life.
Old 12-23-2020, 11:52 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 628 Likes on 289 Posts

Originally Posted by Eddienel
Thank you so much! The Cobalt is absolutely perfect for where I live. I guess I’m just wanting something bigger to go exploring on different bodies of water. My goal is to do more traveling here soon. The wife and I work way too much and are both getting close to 50. I say it’s time to start enjoying life.
Believe me...truer words haven't been spoken. As someone who has recently lost some good friends, please cherish those moments with family and friends...because they certainly aren't guaranteed.
The following users liked this post:
87MirageIntruder (12-23-2020)
Old 12-23-2020, 01:19 PM
Registered

Received 283 Likes on 170 Posts

If you've not owned or had friends with go-fast boats you may be surprised at the amount of wrenching and cost of repairs required to keep them running, especially an older boat.

Last edited by TexomaPowerboater; 12-23-2020 at 01:24 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by TexomaPowerboater:
12meter (12-24-2020), 93 shooter (12-23-2020), bajaman (12-23-2020)
Old 12-23-2020, 04:03 PM
Registered

Received 334 Likes on 165 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by TexomaPowerboater
If you've not owned or had friends with go-fast boats you may be surprised at the amount of wrenching and cost of repairs required to keep them running, especially an older boat.
Like stated above it is work and expensive, plan on about 10 grand a year for insurance, misc. upgrades and things breaking between the boat and trailer. The cost of ownership can get up there quick, especially on an older boat. That said, Yes it is worth it, and many on this site will agree.
Old 12-24-2020, 08:20 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by TexomaPowerboater
Originally Posted by 1Zoom
Like stated above it is work and expensive, plan on about 10 grand a year for insurance, misc. upgrades and things breaking between the boat and trailer. The cost of ownership can get up there quick, especially on an older boat. That said, Yes it is worth it, and many on this site will agree.
Can you be a little more info? Im pretty mechanically inclined but I dont want to spend more time working on it then enjoying it. Water pumps belts hoses fluid changes are a super easy. I don't like trouble shooting electrical but thats just me. What else can I look forward to? The more I read the more I know I dont want a project. Where I live there isn't much help close by for boats like this. Everyone here has bass boats or party barges or surface drive flat bottoms.
Old 12-24-2020, 09:09 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 771 Likes on 352 Posts

Can you be a little more info? Im pretty mechanically inclined but I dont want to spend more time working on it then enjoying it. Water pumps belts hoses fluid changes are a super easy. I don't like trouble shooting electrical but thats just me. What else can I look forward to? The more I read the more I know I dont want a project. Where I live there isn't much help close by for boats like this. Everyone here has bass boats or party barges or surface drive flat bottoms.
Mild power is your friend, but the reality is with go-fast boats things are always going to be cropping up. When I sold my Cafe I had lots of little stuff that had added up that I simply didn't have time to address at the time with priorities on kids, etc. A trim tab that wasn't working, gauges that had given up the ghost, fiberglass work that was needed on the hatches, interior that was past showing its age, had two superchargers crap out on me in the last two years. Had rebuilt from the oil pan up both motors 2-3 years earlier, fuel pump went bad, trim pump started leaking under the seat for the hatches ram which I had to repair, just spent over 2k on new tires, hubs, brakes, rotors, calipers on the trailer.

I had spent more on the boat in the two years leading up to seeking it than I sold it for (no joke). But I will say it was all worth it, and I'd do it again 100 times over. The time with my kids and wife were priceless - my kids were 9 and 10 DAYS old when they first went on that boat and they wouldn't know what to do now without a CIG. I cried when the new owner towed it away.....

As one of my good friends always says "life's not a dress rehearsal"
The following 3 users liked this post by seafordguy:
blown (12-25-2020), Eddienel (12-24-2020), rak rua (12-24-2020)
Old 12-24-2020, 07:06 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought my cafe for my 40th birthday present to myself , after coming home from my uncles funeral- he retired at 65 by 66 he was in a wheel chair and by 67 he was dead - so much for all those retirement plans !! i was going to have it for 3-5 years well its been 22 years -- 2 sets of motors as long as motors are out better go thru drives and gimbles - yearly maintence seems plugs - caps rotors filters oils and drive oil changes impellers $$$ x 2 and then the truck to tow the heavy thing around I have a ford f 650 for towing and going to car shows and ice cream lol oil - filters $$ and batteries and then something breaks or needs tires $$$ but I cannt give it up
The following 2 users liked this post by waycool marine:
Eddienel (12-24-2020), rak rua (12-24-2020)
Old 12-24-2020, 07:29 PM
Registered

seafordguy waycool marine Thank you for sharing. Im definitely thinking about it. Ive decided against the above racer. Its a little too dated for me. Im definitely going to book a place to stay on LOTO as soon as they announce the date for the Cig Rally 2021.
Old 12-24-2020, 07:55 PM
Registered

Received 3,020 Likes on 987 Posts

seafordguy waycool marine Thank you for sharing. Im definitely thinking about it. Ive decided against the above racer. Its a little too dated for me. Im definitely going to book a place to stay on LOTO as soon as they announce the date for the Cig Rally 2021.
Father’s Day weekend every year. Already have our rooms and flights. 👍
The following users liked this post:
Eddienel (12-24-2020)
Old 12-24-2020, 08:01 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by thisistank
Father’s Day weekend every year. Already have our rooms and flights. 👍
Thanks Tank. Ill start my search asap. Ill be bringing my boat so hopefully I can find a place to dock it and park my trailer. What area should I be looking at? Probably be going through vrbo.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.