Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Cigarette
Who Knows this 96 38 Top Gun >

Who Knows this 96 38 Top Gun

Notices

Who Knows this 96 38 Top Gun

Old 01-05-2021, 09:26 PM
Registered

Received 4,286 Likes on 1,237 Posts

Sometimes I`m jealous of those guys that don`t need a big boat to handle bodies of angry water like Lake Michigan.
mmmm small boat , one engine, reliable, not get beat up , flat water, easy on gas, doesn`t sound like a dragster, don`t need headsets to hear yourself think..boat in back yard on a lift...
sounds wonderful.
If I had that id get myself a fast little cat to buzz around in to help with the speed bug .
Old 01-05-2021, 09:29 PM
Registered

Received 790 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by seafordguy
Honestly, a 35 or 38' cig isn't a "use every day boat". I think the luster would wear off quickly. Even for someone like me who is fortunate enough to have it on a lift in the backyard, it is still an event every time we use it - cover off, using it, coming home and flushing, washing, cover back on. It's work! I like the idea of using it 12-15 times a year. Unfortunately with life in the way, we tend to probably only use it 6-8 times a year.....

there was a time before the end of last summer (when we finally got the chance to blow a couple hundred gallons through it), that we had actually burned more fuel in my 16 Donzi than the cig. Part of that was a result of reliability issues, and I don't think any of these boats will have the reliability for you to do daily boating.....
100% agree. If you are looking for a boat to use on a regular basis...2-3x per week. I wouldn’t buy a cig or any offshore powerboat.

they are loud, not accommodating, not reliable, burn a lot of fuel, etc...

we use our boat once sometimes twice a week during the summer...I’ll be honest a few weeks in, I’m wanting to find another boat. Something smaller, quieter, and more low key.
Old 01-05-2021, 09:53 PM
Registered

Received 334 Likes on 165 Posts

It's kind of funny, we always want something we perceive is better, a little bit bigger, a little bit faster, then when you get it, you get to see the real picture. I am not saying I don't enjoy owning the boat I have, but I have told many people I probably enjoyed my first boat as much as any of the larger ones. It sounds like you have a great home and boat that you enjoy with friends and family. Like Daniel said, I am also sometimes jealous of guys that can enjoy their boats on quiet smaller bodies of water and store it on a lift on their dock. Towing a larger boat around can be a pain in the a$$.
The following users liked this post:
ICDEDPPL (01-06-2021)
Old 01-06-2021, 07:01 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 771 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by ICDEDPPL
Sometimes I`m jealous of those guys that don`t need a big boat to handle bodies of angry water like Lake Michigan.
mmmm small boat , one engine, reliable, not get beat up , flat water, easy on gas, doesn`t sound like a dragster, don`t need headsets to hear yourself think..boat in back yard on a lift...
sounds wonderful.
If I had that id get myself a fast little cat to buzz around in to help with the speed bug .
If you leave my canal and go right, you can use a small boat. If you go left you are about 300 yards from where the Chesapeake Bay meets the Atlantic ocean - the Tiger is too small some days......!!!
Old 01-06-2021, 07:17 AM
Registered

Received 581 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by ICDEDPPL
sounds wonderful.
Thats funny because sometimes when I see you guys out there pounding waves it makes me jealous wishing I had a bigger boat. Reminds me of sailing and crossing big water and rough seas. That being said it was fun for about an hour or so then got old pretty quick.

I really appreciate everyones honesty on this. I see its not practical. seafordguy you really have me thinking about your Sweet 16. I always loved that boat. What really gets me is how well my boat handles rough water for its size. When we were passing and meeting those 50 ft Vikings and Bertrams the boat handled amazing. Of course we had to slow down considerably. What messed me up was drifting in the gulf and swimming off the back and me worrying if a wave was going breach my bow and sink the boat. Thats my only real complaint with the Cobalt is its low freeboard on the bow.
Old 01-06-2021, 11:52 AM
Registered

Received 4,286 Likes on 1,237 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by seafordguy
If you leave my canal and go right, you can use a small boat. If you go left you are about 300 yards from where the Chesapeake Bay meets the Atlantic ocean - the Tiger is too small some days......!!!

oh sure just keep rubbing it in!!
Old 01-06-2021, 12:30 PM
Registered

Received 3,019 Likes on 987 Posts

Ocean boating is no joke. Broke a gimbal on a #6 Tiger and popped a rub rail Ins cafe running in big offshore water. You think you’re in a big ocean boat until you’re out on the ocean. Lol.

the guys above bring up a valid point. Instead of a big cigarette have you thought about a smaller cat? 25-28 skater, eliminated, DCB, American Offshore and a bunch of others make cool smaller cats. I’ve had some wheel time in a 26’ Howard and a 25 Eliminator both with 525’s. They are a BLAST!! Run low to mid 80’s and feel much bigger than they are on a smaller lake.

another option is maybe a deck boat. Really big out here. Nordic, magic, advantage, Howard, eliminator, etc all make them. Cat hull with open bow for seating and easy access on and off while beached. Some even have built in fridge and blender ports. Big stereos etc. basically a performance cat that’s built for entertaining. Some deck boats and smaller cats.

just a thought.

The following 2 users liked this post by thisistank:
Eddienel (01-06-2021), ICDEDPPL (01-06-2021)
Old 01-06-2021, 12:48 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 619 Likes on 181 Posts

yeah pretty tough to have one boat that is going to be perfect for all occasions, hell even multiple boats sometimes doesn't cover it. at one time i thought i had it covered. i had the duffy for day to day use. the formula for overnighters or having a bunch of people and the cigarette for everything else. ( it was easy to trailer and could go in any water that i wanted to )
Turns out that the Duffy just sat, even for just cruising around the harbor we would hop in the Formula. lots of places i wanted to take the formula but trailering it was a pain in the ass. it was awesome for places i could reach by water and also had a zodiac for it that was great when it was anchored.
But if i had to have just one it would be the cigarette. you can run in big water. easy to tow. small enough to maneuver in tight spots. fun for the river or ocean or lakes. having the 525s it was reliable and maintenance costs are not that bad.

Last edited by H20 Toie; 01-06-2021 at 12:54 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by H20 Toie:
Eddienel (01-06-2021), lucky strike (01-06-2021), Smoke eater (01-06-2021), thisistank (01-06-2021)
Old 01-06-2021, 06:40 PM
Registered

Received 581 Likes on 295 Posts

Ok Im completely in love with that Howard 288 Sport Deck.

Howard Boats
The following users liked this post:
thisistank (01-06-2021)
Old 01-06-2021, 07:27 PM
Registered

Received 63 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by F-2 Speedy
I spy a Vette, nice Sporter LS, I had a 74
And a '64 Galaxie!
The following 2 users liked this post by BajaFresh:
lucky strike (01-06-2021), Smoke eater (01-06-2021)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.