Cigarette 45 maximus

Notices

Cigarette 45 maximus

Old 02-07-2021, 04:19 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cigarette 45 maximus

Hello guys,

I used to own up until 3 years ago a 2010 Cig 42x 700scis', and I was boating in Greece where I live. I absolutely loved the boat, especially during hard weather time.

To have an idea what we are facing here in terms of weather:

It is extremely important to have the boat easily on plane and keep +-20miles under very heavy for head-sea. Probably this is more important than top speed.
I owned also a fountain 42 2009 with diesel engines (previously), though it was a far "less" boat than the Cig. Different engines different mentatlity.

I am now again in the market for a powerboat. I drove a 50 marauder Cig, and although I liked the upper-class of the boat, the fact that it could not straight cavitation until it reached 35 knots, is a killer for me, I would not like to be trapped at 5-7b in Aegean sea with cavitation at 15miles.
Also the 1350engines seem to be perfect but I live very far from US, so probably the 1100 would be a safer option in terms of lengitivity.

But then I saw this :
https://www.offshoreonly.com/classif...us-o79246.html

Although it is a much older boat the fact that it is completely refurbished, makes it OK for me. And obvoiously I love its looks.

Has anybody driven such a boat in heavy weather? Does it get on plane easily? The fact that you "sit" in the seats, insted of just putting your back to the bolster seat, makes it ok, or I will crash my back in heavy waves?
Has anybody any experience with that kind of boat (maximus) except calm sea? Can you stand up somehow?

Please share all info you may have and all kind of possible experience. I cannot have a ride in such a boat in Europe, therefore I must judge from pictures/videos before buyung.
I had also seen a beautiful Fountain Poker run 42, same more or less type, with sitted helm position and somekind of shock absorber. Again crashing or not the back, in heavy waves would be an issue there.

Please share also info on the difference in maintenance between 1350 and 1100 Mercuries'

Old 02-07-2021, 07:38 AM
Registered

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

I can’t say much for the ride of the boat but I will say that it is being sold by the best in the biz. Give them a call. They either know the answer to every question you have or can get it. If you are a serious buyer they can probably arrange for some kind of video chat test ride, although they may wait a few weeks because it is deathly cold in MO Right now.

ZT
Old 02-07-2021, 10:33 AM
Registered

Received 793 Likes on 448 Posts

To the OP, Do you recall what props were on your 42X?

I do not know the Maximus but there is a possibility that a prop swap could get you much faster on plane like your 42 (but obviously sacrifice top MPH/KPH potential)... as you said, in your waters, the requirements are not in keeping with most others on here...Just something to add to your conversation with PBC
Old 02-07-2021, 11:01 AM
Registered

Received 292 Likes on 138 Posts

I agree, I’ve been stuck in situations like that and keeping the boat on plane at the lowest possible speeds is essential for a better ride. I would tend to think that under propping the boat a little would help immensely with getting on plane and keeping on plane at lower speeds.
The following users liked this post:
IGetWet (02-07-2021)
Old 02-07-2021, 01:56 PM
Registered

Received 3,013 Likes on 987 Posts

the Maximus you are referring too is the second built of 5 built and was owned by a well known member here when new. It was stripped completely down and every nut and bolt from bow to stern was replaced in a project that took over two years at lipship performance, who was the original builder through cigarette as well. It’s essentially a new boat. I’ve run in it before it was restored but don’t remember what speed it rolled over at. And as far as sitting, some people like it some people don’t. But it does seem most people that own sot down boats love them.

my question is why would you want to go out in seas like that? It gets 5-10’ swells here where I live regularly too. I skip boating those days.

Old 02-07-2021, 02:04 PM
Registered

My prop in the Cig42x
Old 02-07-2021, 02:41 PM
Registered

Well I never go out in days like these on purpose.
We have many islands, we do island hoping, and it is very common to be caught by the weather during summer. Having a good plane speed, easily sustainable is crucial. Especially for head-on sea.
My 42x would go at 17 miles on plane and had top speed 95 miles WOT. It was perfect in that aspect (getting on plane), engines were standard.

Will call performance boat center tomorrow and ask them about everything.

The sitted position worries me a little, it is only after trial somebody can understand if he likes it

Old 02-07-2021, 02:44 PM
Registered

Received 292 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by thisistank

my question is why would you want to go out in seas like that? It gets 5-10’ swells here where I live regularly too. I skip boating those days.
Tank, idk about his situation, but here in New England, you can run out to block island in the AM and it’s dead flat then coming back if you end up with an outgoing tide from the sound and a wind blowing out of the East, you get some monster waves that are stacked up. Very unpredictable and can change in a matter of a couple hours. I’m guess that’s very different than boating in the pacific where weather patterns and the open ocean make it pretty predictable on a day to day basis. I’ve gotten stuck in some crap that I couldn’t get my 50 vee bottom Nortech on plane because they were like 6-8 spaced maybe 20ft apart.
Old 02-07-2021, 03:39 PM
Registered

Received 3,013 Likes on 987 Posts

Originally Posted by 302Sport
Tank, idk about his situation, but here in New England, you can run out to block island in the AM and it’s dead flat then coming back if you end up with an outgoing tide from the sound and a wind blowing out of the East, you get some monster waves that are stacked up. Very unpredictable and can change in a matter of a couple hours. I’m guess that’s very different than boating in the pacific where weather patterns and the open ocean make it pretty predictable on a day to day basis. I’ve gotten stuck in some crap that I couldn’t get my 50 vee bottom Nortech on plane because they were like 6-8 spaced maybe 20ft apart.

I agree 100%. And I’ve been caught in sh*t I’d never intentionally go out in for sure. And it pretty much sucks. But that was years back. Today, with wind, swell, tidal and weather apps that give hourly predictions, I mean you can pin point it down to good day or bad day to run and be in the clear 99% of the time. NOAA, windy and the surf app are dead on. These apps let you pin drop locations too. So when I’m running out to the Channel Islands off our coast I can see that the wind is calm at 5 mph along the coast and blowing 25 mph on the back side of Santa Cruz Island. Or that the sell is 1-2’ the 30 miles out to Santa Cruz Island but 25’ between Santa Cruz and San Miguel. Unless these types of apps aren’t available in Greece there’s no reason to boat in sh*tty weather.

and just my opinion but if there’s no way around it and you’ll be boating in 6-10 foot head in seas regularly I don’t personally think a Maximus is the boat for the job. Cockpit isn’t as deep as a stand up 42 46 or 50 and I don’t believe the freeboard is as high either.

Last edited by thisistank; 02-07-2021 at 04:52 PM.
Old 02-07-2021, 04:31 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,043 Likes on 1,355 Posts

I dont think a sit down boat would be any fun in big seas, need as much free board as you can get, jmo.........I boat @ LOTO so I have no experience with big water..........

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.