Advice and Opinions Needed 28SS Restore >

Advice and Opinions Needed 28SS Restore

Notices

Advice and Opinions Needed 28SS Restore

Old 07-15-2021, 04:57 PM
Registered

Received 24 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Advice and Opinions Needed 28SS Restore

Hello all. The purchase of the 28SS went through and it is now home. It needs everything as it is a stripped hull. My experience has been with straight inboards or outboards. Never owned an I/O and have only heard about the expense and maintenance of working on the outdrives.

All advice is appreciated, perhaps some have parts they wish to sell etc. Send me an email. No rush to restore as I just lost the a/c and the upstairs bathroom in the house, so boat will wait. I would like to become as knowledgeable as possible, so any info or first hand experience/wisdom you wish to pass on, I am all ears. I have found/read some of the earlier threads on the 28.

My intentions was to bracket the boat and put twin 300 outboards. Any opinions appreciated. Good idea/bad idea?

Their is a cigarette clone close to me running a single big block. It is for sale, but the boat has been sitting 12+ years and he is asking alot in my opinion. I thought about maybe buying it if it becomes cheap enough and swapping engine/drive to my hull but at this point I don't think it has much value. I also believe I read that an OSO member was running a 28 with a single. Any info on a single setup would be appreciated.

I would also be grateful for any pictures of previous restores or sources to tap. Thanks for being so welcoming. Best, Gregg
Old 07-15-2021, 06:26 PM
Registered

Received 3,101 Likes on 1,003 Posts

Man, that sounds like a HUGE project. I'm not a big fan of puting outboards on Cigs but I will say, if there was ever a Cigarette that would work well with outboards (style, usability, financially, etc.) it's the 28SS. They're cool boats and I think outboards would be a fantastic option for one. Strip it down to the stringers, put new tanks in it, build it up, new basic cuddy, build out a new dash, new / updated interior, push the rear bench back a little to get a bit more cockpit room, make the old engine room a new storage area for fenders and lines, and maybe a built in cooler and slap a couple new Merc 300's with Vessel view up on the dash. Would be pretty slick. Good luck. Looking forward to watching the progress. Post some pics when you have a chance.

Oh, by the way, here's some inspiration -

The following 6 users liked this post by thisistank:
Indy (07-15-2021), Padraig (07-19-2021), SB (07-18-2021), sonicss42 (07-18-2021), tommymonza (07-15-2021), Wally (07-17-2021)
Old 07-16-2021, 09:44 AM
Registered

Received 288 Likes on 174 Posts

I'd go with outboards with a big swim platform/bracket. I think that boat is designed for twin small blocks, but even with twin small blocks there does not seem to be enough room to service the motors without a lot of stress and frustration. I've seen people get pretty good money for 28ft go-fast that were converted to outboards. Believe there was a 28 Apache priced around $90-100K that sold pretty quick not long ago. I've seen 28 Cigs with outboards sell fast too, of course everything in decent shape seems to be selling fast these days.
Old 07-17-2021, 07:28 AM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

I like the traditional set up. I think that’s what Cigarettes are about. I also understand the benefits of the outboard motors. I have to believe that doing this would change the value significantly and alter any resale so that only someone of like mind would be interested. I also wonder if shifting the weight back will change how the boat handles? Clearly I am biased, but you said good and bad comments. Unless the boat is in need of a new transom won’t adding the outboards and the necessary alterations be much more expensive than adding new engines? I’m not trying to be a jerk. I always go into any project thinking about my exit strategy.
Old 07-17-2021, 06:46 PM
Registered

Thanks Tank. Yes the picture is inspirational. Will post some photos when I get the chance.

Last edited by Looking; 07-18-2021 at 08:15 PM.
Old 07-17-2021, 06:47 PM
Registered

Thanks Texoma.
Old 07-17-2021, 07:02 PM
Registered

TiCafeRacer, thanks for the comment. Your not being a jerk, and I welcome all opinions and comments. The transom appears good and yes, I am concerned somewhat about shifting the center of gravity with the outboards, but it seems to have been successfully done with many boats, so I don't see why I couldn't make it work on the Cig. The boat had 3 gas tanks. I guess I could always make the bow tank larger to offset some weight and push the center tank forward as far as I can.

I have zero experience with I/O's but looking around for parts available, it seems that the engines, drives and transmissions will be the more expensive route. Previous owner said Bravo 1's 1:36 and 400 hp small blocks. I think the engines are the cheapest part of the deal, with the outdrives and exhaust running into big money. I think the only way i/o would be cheaper is if I get lucky to buy a donor boat and swap everything over. Only other option is to install a single big block. Doing my research now before I start spending money, so please keep the opinions coming. If anyone has resto pictures, dimensions of the gas tanks etc. I would be most appreciative of the info. Best, Gregg
The following 2 users liked this post by Looking:
RedBoatFl (07-20-2021), TICafeRacer (07-17-2021)
Old 07-17-2021, 08:06 PM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

When I was thinking of doing some upgrades, a guy suggested I’d be better off selling my engines and getting new ones. That would be a great suggestion if I had the money. That said, someone might be doing that on another boat. As I get deeper in this and learn more, I’ve heard the outboard motors are incredibly expensive too. I think the 300s are somewhere around $30k each and the 450R $45K each. When I bought my boat I called around first and asked about it and what people thought. Two guys said the price of the boat was what the engines cost. So, believe me I follow your thoughts, I just wonder if used I/O might be less or equal without the transom work. Either way, good luck and keep updating us on the progress.
Old 07-18-2021, 07:51 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 777 Likes on 354 Posts

I assume 350 small blocks?

If so, just plan to rebuild and go With the current setup. You've got a big enough project on your hands, you don't need to worry about rebuilding a transom as well. 350 stuff is cheap - much cheaper than two outboards will be unless you're going to buy some old mid-90's carbed motors that may or may not provide you with any reasonable level of reliability.

Call Michigan Motors and have them send you two Long Blocks. Swap useable accessories, send carbs to a decent carb guy and drop them in. Sell old Motors for anything you can get to offset costs
The following users liked this post:
TICafeRacer (07-18-2021)
Old 07-18-2021, 11:06 AM
Registered

Seafordguy, yes it originally had 350's but I did not get the engines/drives etc., with the boat. Previous owner stripped the boat and I assume sold engines/drives etc as they were not available. So, I am starting with a bare hull. Redoing the transom does not scare me, and if I have to do it, I will do it in Coosa board so it never has to be done again, no wood to rot. Agreed, it is a big enough project, and unless I can buy a donor boat to swap the engines & drives, I think my cheapest option is outboards. If I do not have the money for new when the boat is ready, I've seen plenty of used Yamaha/Merc's for 12-14k a pair. That will always get me on the water until I can buy new engines. I believe older 2 strokes are even cheaper, but again, still researching to see best and most economical way to go.

I don't know how much room would be between twin small blocks, but how does one change the plugs? Do you have to remove one side of the exhaust to get the socket in there? Maintenance is also a concern as I generally do all my own work. Thanks and keep the replies coming.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.