Cafe racer fuel tank depth >

Cafe racer fuel tank depth

Notices

Cafe racer fuel tank depth

Old 09-29-2021, 07:54 AM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Cafe racer fuel tank depth

Im looking to do the Holley Sniper conversion on my Merc 502's. The guy on the Holley tech line recommended using their in-tank fuel pumps which won't require a return line:
https://www.holley.com/products/fuel...e/parts/19-360
He says just drain the tanks, cut a hole in the top and drop them in, they self clamp to seal shut. They work for tanks up to 12 inches deep or you can fab an extension and splice in some additional wiring to go deeper.
Anybody know the depth on the cafe tanks, or other suggestions? Not running a return line sounds nice, though im less keen about draining and drilling the tank.
Old 09-29-2021, 08:18 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,051 Likes on 1,357 Posts

If you don't find an answer here, call Dustin @ Carters power boats probably no one knows the Cafe better than he
Old 09-29-2021, 09:07 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by F-2 Speedy
If you don't find an answer here, call Dustin @ Carters power boats probably no one knows the Cafe better than he
Thanks, I may do that.
I did notice you were one of the few who said its possible to run a return line to the filter head, which would be easier than back to the tank. Keeping that in mind as an option.
Old 09-29-2021, 09:17 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by blown
Thanks, I may do that.
I did notice you were one of the few who said its possible to run a return line to the filter head, which would be easier than back to the tank. Keeping that in mind as an option.
Thats the way Whipples instructions are on my kits, its a Teague filter head -10 in and out with a -6 off the back side of the regulator

Old 09-29-2021, 09:35 AM
Registered

My filter head has a return port so I could probably use what ive got.
Regarding the in tank pump, it just struck me that this may be problematic if the fuel filter isnt built for high pressure. In my old motors I was running an electric fuel pump but they were on the motor so after the fuel filter.
Is the pump before the filter on your setup?

Originally Posted by F-2 Speedy
Thats the way Whipples instructions are on my kits, its a Teague filter head -10 in and out with a -6 off the back side of the regulator

Old 09-29-2021, 09:41 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

mine is -10 from the tank to a 100 micro filter coupled to the A1000 aeromotive pump then to the filter head...........I agree I dont think Id want the pump in the tank
Old 09-29-2021, 03:46 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

I got a new pick up tube for my friend's 36 Apache. It was about 21" deep.
Old 09-29-2021, 05:17 PM
Registered

Received 793 Likes on 448 Posts

safest way to know exact depth of any tank is to pull the sender or pick-up tube and measure to the btm.....factory original, aftermarket replacement or even setting a replacement tank in the carcass of the original - only way to be sure is to measure.

Old 09-30-2021, 06:58 AM
Registered

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by blown
Thanks, I may do that.
I have the floor out of my Cafe but even then there is no accurate way to tell the tank depth. As others have said would need to remove the pickup & go inside.
My return lines are ran back to my filter head, but the filter & pump are mounted on the bulkhead.