1985 Cig Questions

Notices

1985 Cig Questions

Old 04-19-2004, 09:11 AM
JGB
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1985 Cig Questions

I purchased a very original '85 cig 20. I have a couple of questions for anyone that knows this particular vintage well.

1. What kind of paint was used in the bilge area?

2. I also want to replace the fuel sending unit but even after I have opened the filler cap to vent the pressure of the contracting/expanding fuel, it doesn't seem to alleviate the pressure when attempting to unscrew the sender the unit from the tank. Are there any other tricks or have any of you experienced this type of problem or have a remedy for it? The boat was out in the sun all day yesterday so I am certain the gas expanded but I am still confounded by this issue since opening the fill cap should take care of the pressure.

Thanks for any input.

Jim
Old 04-19-2004, 10:40 AM
Charter Member#330
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

In 1985 the red in the bilge area was gelcoat.

I can't help you with the fuel problem sometjing doesn't sound right though.

Mark
Old 04-19-2004, 10:53 AM
JGB
Registered

Thanks Mark. Yes the bilge area is painted red. Is that standard for that year or just the original owner's preference? not really important but interesting to me. the important part is what kind of paint and you answered that for me. thank you it is much appreciated.

As far as the fuel sender issue, I think I have got that one under control. This is what I learned just in case someone here runs into that issue.

1. Make sure the boat is level
2. Open fuel fill cap
3. IF full tank is too full, syphon out some of the fuel
4. Do the preocedure in the morning while the boat and fuel are cool
5. Follow the directions with the unit precisely

Last edited by JGB; 04-19-2004 at 10:55 AM.
Old 04-19-2004, 12:48 PM
Registered

Jim: could you post some pics of the boat, good luck with it, nice boat...Matt
Old 04-19-2004, 01:01 PM
JGB
Registered

Hi Matt, Thanks,Here are a couple of photos. I don't have any recent pics since commencing the refurb job. I'll post those when I get done with it. I currently am waiting for the interior to be done by bilt rite and have a few more things to do in the meantime.
Attached Thumbnails 1985 Cig Questions-1cig20a.jpg  
Old 04-19-2004, 01:02 PM
JGB
Registered

here's another
Attached Thumbnails 1985 Cig Questions-1cig20c.jpg  
Old 04-19-2004, 01:04 PM
JGB
Registered

last one till she is completed.
Attached Thumbnails 1985 Cig Questions-1cig20h.jpg  
Old 04-19-2004, 01:39 PM
Registered

Jim: very nice, is that teak down the bow and on the dash? How deep are the bow locker on the boat? I used to have a 20' Donzi Minx and it always seemed to me that it was very similar to the 20' Cig. Does yours have a small block? Good luck with the resto...Matt
Old 04-19-2004, 01:54 PM
JGB
Registered

Thanks and yes, teak on the deck and dash. Cleaned, Brightened, and put the first coat of oil on it just yesterday. The difference from the photos is night and day. The storage locker forward of the dash is about a 1- 1 1/2 ft wide and runs the entire deck from port to starboard. Probably 1- 1.5 ft deep. Pulled the interior and cleaned everything pretty good. Might need to compound the finish a little in some spots and the rest of the detailing still need to be done.

Don't know the specifics of the motor but it is a 350 small block with a performance cam of some kind. It is said to pump out 325hp. I'll believe it when I run the boat to see the performance. It has an alpha ss drive with 25 pitch cleaver. I am sure I'll have some more testing to do and a different prop with a lab finish will get those last remaining mph out of her.

Jim
Old 04-19-2004, 01:58 PM
JGB
Registered

Oh And the best part of this particular '85 cig is that is only has 168 original hours and the original hour guage is still in operating condition. I am swapping out the original guages for livorsi platinum guages. still keeping the original guages and might send them away to be refinished. if I ever get around to selling it, I plan on selling it in totally original refurbished condition. Man I can't tell you how anal and picky I am about my boats and their condition. It is kind of sad actually.

Jim

Quick Reply: 1985 Cig Questions

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.