Looking for a 38' Top Gun >

Looking for a 38' Top Gun

Notices

Looking for a 38' Top Gun

Old 06-02-2004, 08:17 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Looking for a 38' Top Gun

As far as head room on the Top Gun cabin, I dont think you are going to gain much more than that 4' 11" My 2000 Tiger barely has that
Old 06-02-2004, 09:45 AM
Member #2 ....Jeeezz
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Keith
Well . . . just like my 34' Scarab, top speed is about 10th on my priority list. I care more about how the boat has been taken care of, the engines need to be basically "1 to 1" (cubic inch to horsepower), ride like a cadillac in rough water and have a full cabin where I won't mind spending the night. My Scarab cabin is about equivalent to the Covergirl layout and not condusive to overnighters here on the bay. It's a great day boat, but that's about it unless you're 4' 11". So I guess I don't want a Kevlar layup.

Budget is flexible to a point, it depends on the boat. You can eat off my current engines and see yourself in the reflection, I would expect same in any boat I would consider. Not interested in high HP engines because they're way over my head in terms of maintenance needs. My first set of Mercs in the Scarab lasted 13 seasons without any work other than changing the oil and tuning it up. I drive at 3200-3500 RPM range 90% of the time.

Looking for something no older than a 1998 model.
Buy a SeaRay
Old 06-02-2004, 10:28 AM
CBPBA's Walmart Greeter
VIP Member

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Sea Ray?!?!? heheh You guys are a riot!! I still can't get the speed thing out of my system and I don't want to grow up just yet. This has been a great learning experience looking at all the brands and models, 38' on up. I love Cigs and Scarabs, but I'm also evaluating priorities including the amenities. Sonics have great cabins & are found everywhere here on the Bay, while Black Thunders are Sea Rays on steroids. It's not an easy decision because prices are all over the map too.

Not complaining, this is a good problem to have right?

-----------------------------------------

CHESAPEAKE BAY POWER BOAT ASSOCIATION
'http://www.cbpba.com'

"Experience is something you don't have until just after you need it."
Old 06-02-2004, 01:09 PM
Registered

Received 482 Likes on 162 Posts

Sea Ray?!?!? heheh You guys are a riot!! I still can't get the speed thing out of my system and I don't want to grow up just yet. This has been a great learning experience looking at all the brands and models, 38' on up. I love Cigs and Scarabs, but I'm also evaluating priorities including the amenities. Sonics have great cabins & are found everywhere here on the Bay, while Black Thunders are Sea Rays on steroids. It's not an easy decision because prices are all over the map too.

Not complaining, this is a good problem to have right?
This is my look on the subject. Sorry if I offend anyone that doesn't own a Cigarette.

As "d-hlaw" says, there are people who own Cigarettes and there are people who WANT to own them.

You either want the boat that is totally different and unique than anyone else's or you want to be a plain Jane. (hehe). I understand people look for amenities. But, a straight bottom Cig cabin has: two benches to sleep on (v-berth), full head, table, and two seats to eat. If you are going to be running 3500-4000 RPM, you aren't going to have time to watch TV and cook food. If you have ever been in one, you'll see it is quite roomy.

Going back to where you said you don't want Kevlar. I don't know why you said that, maybe you misinterpreted what Kevlar is. However, if you buy a straight bottom Top Gun (fiberglass) you are going to need at least 600HP to run 70. Just trying to say that they take some power to run.

My $.02

LS JR.
Old 06-02-2004, 01:45 PM
CBPBA's Walmart Greeter
VIP Member

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Well . . . just like my 34' Scarab, top speed is about 10th on my priority list.
No offense taken Lucky Strike. Cigs are an awesome boat, I've always admired the look and ride. My real delimma is figuring out the top 5 priorities, and I'm leaning towards the full cabin Cigs (pre-2000 year), or others with the amenities at this point. Hi-Perf engines and doing more than 65MPH just isn't important to me anymore.

-----------------------------------------

CHESAPEAKE BAY POWER BOAT ASSOCIATION
'http://www.cbpba.com'

"Experience is something you don't have until just after you need it."
Old 06-02-2004, 01:48 PM
Registered

Received 482 Likes on 162 Posts

No offense taken Lucky Strike. Cigs are an awesome boat, I've always admired the look and ride. My real delimma is figuring out the top 5 priorities, and I'm leaning towards the full cabin Cigs (pre-2000 year), or others with the amenities at this point. Hi-Perf engines and doing more than 65MPH just isn't important to me anymore.
If you decide you want a Cig, I would buy a straight bottom, full cabin, mid 90s Gun, with 502s/415HP. Should get you 63-64.

Make the step to a Cig...You'll never look back.

LS JR.
Old 06-02-2004, 03:44 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Everything I own is for sale everyday of the week for the right price. If I was married and had a wife she would be for sale too!

I have a 97 Kevlar TG Hawk 600's. 170 hrs. All fresh custom graphix and paint. Over $30m. Freshened Bravo drives. New Lab finished Bravo II's. New Raised hatch. Has the cabin lay out like you described. She is not cheap but she is like new!

Ran 77+ last year on GPS. Have not tried it out this year with new lab finished props. Cruise at 55-6 @ 3700 rpm.

Last edited by expresscat39; 06-02-2004 at 03:48 PM.
Old 06-02-2004, 08:18 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey Dennis,

Sunday we ran in the 3 to 4 foot seas

FULL of fuel and gear

and we saw 75.4 on GPS i was not trimed all the way and i was running 5000RPM

There is 80 MPH there just need to toss out most of the fuel and gear

Cherie' only weighs as much as a bag of chips so she can stay on board

My bet is we se 80 this weekend
Old 06-02-2004, 08:19 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Keith,

Great chatting with you the other day
Old 06-03-2004, 06:26 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Marc, How are you.

Looking forward to seeing you July at SOTW. Still don't know which boat is going to be there. We are wrenching hard on the cat.

Quick Reply: Looking for a 38' Top Gun

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.