Notices

Bertram 32

Old 11-04-2006, 03:28 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Bertram 32

Bingo! Nigel.
According to the Graham's races list in 1978 raced in England this old Bertram 31'(eleven years) named McQeens Jeans of R. Kelly,powered with a couple of a classic Ford Sabre diesel.
The beautiful pics show to us besides the London taxi cabs destination that it was the former Canadian Moppie. The deck with the old colours, white with a central red strip,when it was the Rittmaster's Master Moppie,the hawse-hole for the light in the upper left part of the first 0,and the advanced windshield establish with a moderate certainty that it was the former Master Moppie-American Moppie-Canadian Moppie-Moppie. The stern seem have the stern drives. I think that after the first year,the 1971, when he was American Moppie and it had the original straight shafts inboards,Tim Powell change the stern with Stern Drives.
Do you know if the boat it's still alive somewhere?
Nigel, to Bertram it's a piece of history because was the first 31' ever builded together the My Moppie,in 1967.
Old 11-04-2006, 04:21 PM
Registered

First edition of the Bahamas 500 - 1967 - the two new Bertrams 31':My Moppie #8 of Dick Bertram and Master Moppie #15 of the new president of Bertram Yachts,Peter Rittmaster.

An image that show to us the deck.

In this image we can see the peculiarities of this boat. The "hawse hole" for the lights between the registration numbers and the race number. It was unusual and maybe was specifically to race the Bahams 500.And the straight shafts inboards. Only the Master Moppie and maybe yhe My Moppie had this old type transmissions betwwen the Bertrams 31'.

A beautiful image from the Graham's Library on Boatmad.
1971,American Moppie,Tim Powell. In 1969 Peter Rittmaster renamed the Master Moppie,American Moppie,(like the other,new,Bertram 31' with stern drives that was sell to Ronny Bonelli in 1970 and that was white on the sides with the hull painted in a dark colour anti-vegetative).
Note the same "hawse hole" for the light and the straight shafts,and an inappropriate a sticker of the Cigarette Racing Team.

Another shot of Graham.The Canadian Moppie,1972. We can note the colour of the deck with the tipical central red strip,like the old Master Moppie,and the same side's light hole.

The Beken shot show to us some finger-prints of the old Master Moppie.
Old 11-04-2006, 04:37 PM
Registered

Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts

Marco, well spotted!! But I have no idea what happened to it after it raced as McQueen Jeans. I shall ask over on Boatmad!
Old 11-04-2006, 05:00 PM
Registered

Ok! But open you the thread that you speak English better of me!
Old 07-09-2007, 04:49 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Canadian Moppie

Thanks for the thread, Canadian Moppie and McQueen Jeans are the same boat. My father owned her about 25 years ago just as she finished racing. I am trying to gather as much info/photos about her as I can as I lost all ther originals as as school boy.
Was she called American Moppie before canadian Moppie? any info you have would be helpful
Old 07-09-2007, 05:28 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Brian Stott
Thanks for the thread, Canadian Moppie and McQueen Jeans are the same boat. My father owned her about 25 years ago just as she finished racing. I am trying to gather as much info/photos about her as I can as I lost all ther originals as as school boy.
Was she called American Moppie before canadian Moppie? any info you have would be helpful
The info about the story of the boat you have in the posts above.
She was Master Moppie in 1967,then American Moppie (I),in 1968-71.
This was the first Bertram 31' Special ever builded togheter her sister My Moppie.

Post images please!
Old 07-10-2007, 02:33 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the information, I will post photos
Old 07-10-2007, 02:54 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Brian Stott
Thanks for the information, I will post photos
Thanks!
By the way! Welcome aboard Brian!