36 Cigarettes racing back in the days >

36 Cigarettes racing back in the days

Notices

36 Cigarettes racing back in the days

Old 12-09-2006, 05:00 AM
Registered

Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Re: 36 Cigarettes racing back in the days

Phil, thanks for sending to me. On your behalf - the pic enlarged.
Attached Thumbnails 36 Cigarettes racing back in the days-72deauvilleharbour_small.jpg  
Old 12-09-2006, 10:18 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by littlenige
Phil, thanks for sending to me. On your behalf - the pic enlarged.
That`s the little hotel/pub we all used to hang out in, great picture, brings back wonderful memories. I still have a special porcelin fruit bowl from Pres. Pompedeau presented to Bonomi for winning the race, I was told it would be worth a lot of money one day as it was from a private collection from Pompedeau. 7XCHAMP
Old 12-09-2006, 01:19 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Proof, if need be, that you do not become World Champion without determination.
Here is a picture showing Richie at full throttle on Dry Martini in the Baleares Trophy 1973.
The race win was accompanied by a new Offshore record with an average speed of 82.2mph
Attached Thumbnails 36 Cigarettes racing back in the days-copy-drymartini73poster3.jpg  
Old 12-09-2006, 03:35 PM
Registered

Received 226 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Deauville Trophy
Hi everyone,

I have just discovered this forum and I have read most messages for the past few days and I cannot believe my eyes.
This is just the kind of place I have been looking for. What an opportunity to be able to read first hand accounts from legends such as Charly Mc Carthy or Richie Powers who I remember winning twice my hometown event in Dry Martini.

Then, there are the brilliant photos, the great videos and the encyclopedic knowledge of Black tornado and Little Nige.

To all, I am grateful for your contributions. Please do carry on. I cannot have enough of it.

Phil.

Welcome Phil....don't forget to join our organization where we have plenty of other stories and photos for you to enjoy.

Check HORBA out at www.historicraceboats.com

Your photos are outstanding...please show us more.

Charlie McCarthy
Old 12-10-2006, 03:28 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Top Banana
Welcome Phil....don't forget to join our organization where we have plenty of other stories and photos for you to enjoy.

Check HORBA out at www.historicraceboats.com

Your photos are outstanding...please show us more.

Charlie McCarthy

Thank you for the welcome charlie.
I actually found the Offshoreonly site via the link on the HORBA homepage which has been amongst my list of favorites for a little while.

Today's photo is from the 1971 Dauphin d'Or.
Attached Thumbnails 36 Cigarettes racing back in the days-copy-dauphindor71bal.jpg  

Last edited by Deauville Trophy; 12-10-2006 at 03:31 PM.
Old 12-11-2006, 12:56 PM
Registered

Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts

Phil, that was yesterday. Another picture please....................(they are marvellous).
Old 12-11-2006, 03:31 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by littlenige
Phil, that was yesterday. Another picture please....................(they are marvellous).

Thanks Nigel,...but my stock will not last long, I am afraid.

Today, the photo comes from the 1973 Dauphin d'Or. The race was a cracker, featuring a three way duel between Balestrieri, Mondadori and Bonomi who each took turn in the lead.
Eventually, Bonomi prevailed from Mondadori and De Angelis.
Balestrieri finished 5th, having lost power on one of his Aeromarine engines.

However, the action wasn't finished once the finish line had been passed. A flury of protest ensued and the result of the race was declared void....
I really would like to have Richie version of the incident, please.

Phil.
Attached Thumbnails 36 Cigarettes racing back in the days-copy-dauphindor73monaco.jpg  
Old 12-11-2006, 04:45 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Thanks Nigel,...but my stock will not last long, I am afraid.

Today, the photo comes from the 1973 Dauphin d'Or. The race was a cracker, featuring a three way duel between Balestrieri, Mondadori and Bonomi who each took turn in the lead.
Eventually, Bonomi prevailed from Mondadori and De Angelis.
Balestrieri finished 5th, having lost power on one of his Aeromarine engines.

However, the action wasn't finished once the finish line had been passed. A flury of protest ensued and the result of the race was declared void....
I really would like to have Richie version of the incident, please.

Phil.
Phil: They did award us the win, it was over the open chamber cylinder heads, It started at Cowes then Sweden and culminated at this race. That same race is when Bobby Moore and Jack Stuteville quit with Balestreri over same issue, Jack said they beat us leave it alone, they stayed in my hotel room as they were not on expense any longer, good long story, with a lot of twists That`s also when Carl Kiekhaefer came over to prove the legality of the heads, and by that time all the motors had been upgraded to open chamber including Balestreri, they hated and detested being beat by Me and Bonomi. Closed chamber heads were actually more power, as it made more compression, I have many stories on this topic and the things I had to go through to keep beating them all. 7XCHAMP
Old 12-12-2006, 03:31 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by 7xchamp
Phil: They did award us the win, it was over the open chamber cylinder heads, It started at Cowes then Sweden and culminated at this race. That same race is when Bobby Moore and Jack Stuteville quit with Balestreri over same issue, Jack said they beat us leave it alone, they stayed in my hotel room as they were not on expense any longer, good long story, with a lot of twists That`s also when Carl Kiekhaefer came over to prove the legality of the heads, and by that time all the motors had been upgraded to open chamber including Balestreri, they hated and detested being beat by Me and Bonomi. Closed chamber heads were actually more power, as it made more compression, I have many stories on this topic and the things I had to go through to keep beating them all. 7XCHAMP

Hi Richie,

Did you get the UIM points for the win too? One source of documentation said, at the time, that the results "may not count towards the World Championship".

Also, was Vincenzo Balestrieri the "ring leader", the same source mentions Giulio De Angelis protesting against your win as well?

And finally, did the all episode change the relationship between the various crews (I mean owner/drivers, the throttlemen appeared to have stuck together) ?
Thanks
Phil.
Old 12-12-2006, 08:19 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Hi Richie,

Did you get the UIM points for the win too? One source of documentation said, at the time, that the results "may not count towards the World Championship".

Also, was Vincenzo Balestrieri the "ring leader", the same source mentions Giulio De Angelis protesting against your win as well?

And finally, did the all episode change the relationship between the various crews (I mean owner/drivers, the throttlemen appeared to have stuck together) ?
Thanks
Phil.
Phil: I am quite sure we received the UIM points in the end, as we did repeat as world champions. At that time the hot crews were the americans with the exception of Don Shead and DeAngeles. If my memory serves me correct I believe Julio used to throttle and drive himself. One of these days we will start discussions about what it used to entail to become a true world champion, with the true meaning of racing in different countries, different oceans, every conceivable condition, and against the best equipment and crews throughout the entire world, when races used to cover over 200 miles in the ocean, it was called OFFSHORE RACING. 5 to 10 teams with near identical equip. and more than capable crews, AAHHH those were the days, my body hurts when I think about them, standing in a bolster half out of the boat, no windshield running near 80 mph into a 6` sea and a 20 mph headwind. Real men real sport true world champions and now legends, thanks to these forums and people who care, and were there as kids, recognition will come to those who were there. Thanks!!! 7XCHAMP

Quick Reply: 36 Cigarettes racing back in the days

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.