Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Classic Offshore
Scarab Race Boat pics >

Scarab Race Boat pics

Notices

Scarab Race Boat pics

Old 02-01-2009, 03:35 AM
  #81  
Registered
 
littlenige's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Spain
Posts: 1,192
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by shifter View Post
Here is a pic that I have of betty ,John and the boat in Huntington Harbor slip.
pat W

Note the two different stacks.

Pat, isn't that the 36 wide body?? Sure looks like it to me!
littlenige is offline  
Old 02-01-2009, 06:29 AM
  #82  
Registered
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 25
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by shifter View Post
Here is a pic that I have of betty ,John and the boat in Huntington Harbor slip.
pat W

Note the two different stacks.
Are those weber 48 carbs on the port engine?
Scott H. is offline  
Old 02-01-2009, 06:46 AM
  #83  
Registered
 
Black Tornado's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Viareggio-Italy
Posts: 1,421
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by littlenige View Post
Pat, isn't that the 36 wide body?? Sure looks like it to me!
Bingo Nigel!
Black Tornado is offline  
Old 02-01-2009, 11:38 AM
  #84  
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 451
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Len S View Post
Whats the history on this 43 footer, The number #5 boat
Is it a true L.S boat and is it the same one that is for sale for years now with no power or drives. Great looking boat

What's been going on with it over the last few year and is somthing wrong with it.

Going to need big dollars to power that monster and drives with triples.

Looking for info on the boat
As in some of my earlier posts, this is the 43` Scarab that Tom Gentry and myself set the Kilo record in @ 126 mph, I then ran it with Omar Danial of Apache Heritage, we raced it three times and won each time two qualifying races for the APBA worlds in 1994. We won Corpus Christi Texas, then Sarasota, Then the worlds in Ft. Meyers all in 1994. The boat was raced as Pepsi Diet rite cola, Team Scarab, and Gentry Eagle. Bill Sirois and Gus Anastasia originally ran the boat with no success, Wellcraft contacted me after I won the worlds in Key West in 1993 with Apache Heritage and asked If I would race the boat, I said OK as Long as Omar Danial could be my wheel man, rest is as they say is history. I will tell you one thing, that boat at 135 mph which is the best I got out of it is scary and will definitly hurt you.
7xchamp is offline  
Old 02-01-2009, 10:34 PM
  #85  
www.weismann.net
Gold Member
 
shifter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: newport beach,ca
Posts: 1,249
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

This boat had tripples then was coverted to twins and was used as a pleasure boat, it had #3's the we put #6's.

pat W
Attached Thumbnails Scarab Race Boat pics-p1260022.jpg  
shifter is offline  
Old 02-02-2009, 08:51 AM
  #86  
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 451
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by shifter View Post
This boat had tripples then was coverted to twins and was used as a pleasure boat, it had #3's the we put #6's.

pat W
I`m lost on that one, it`s possible Tom G. had a 43` built to use in Hawaii, The only boat`s I was associated with was the 43` Triple that I set the Kilo record with and won the APBA worlds with all in 1994, The boat was actually owned as a partnership between Larry Smith, Wellcraft, and the late Allen Pariser of splish splash fame. The race boat was given to Tom to use to set the Kilo record only. The other Larry Smith Scarab was the 47` that I set up for the Miami to NY run, triple with # 3`s. The last time I raced that boat I won the Miami Bimini race called the Apache Challenge, Norman Gentry was actually driver of record, Tom was navigator, and I was on the stixs.
7xchamp is offline  
Old 02-02-2009, 09:04 AM
  #87  
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 451
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by MidOcean View Post
A little know 38 with 3 experimental V-8 300's on it called Can-Do driven by Myco trailer founder David Albert with Chris Smith(Larry Smith's son). The boat was testing at the OMC test facility in 1982 when she barrell rolled kiiling two of the 3 on board.
Clarification: Chris Smith was not Larry Smith`s son, Larry only has a daughter. Little known fact is that Charlie Strang, then President and CEO of O.M.C. along with Larry Smith asked if I would test run the boat and give an evaluation as to wheather the accident was driver error or the fault of the boat. I tested the boat in Stuart at the O.M.C. test base, I took Larry Smith and a friend of mine to drive, It was rough as hell, and we ran the snot out of the boat, tripped it in once and Larry hit his elbow, I think broke it, was in lot`s of pain, we finished the run, all OK I then raced the boat in open class in inaugural St Augustine race, rookie driver and navigator we got third in open class, same race Rockie A. disintegrated his Cat with Howard Quam. By finishing third the boat qualified to run the worlds in Key West with some Aussies who bought it and I believe took it to Australia. The boat was awsome fast for it`s time, estimated HP each I was told was over 450hp, power to weight made it quick, Best I saw was 92 mph at a time when the best scarabs were running 88 to 90. The boat accelerated really hard, was actually a fun boat, could have been tweaked and C.G.`d a little better. Shame about the two deaths, but they just ran it over there head and got bit.
7xchamp is offline  
Old 02-02-2009, 09:46 AM
  #88  
Registered
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Freehold, NJ
Posts: 1,392
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Richie,

Haven't seen you on here in awhile, nice to see you posting again - love to read your stories!!!
HabanaJoe is offline  
Old 02-02-2009, 10:05 AM
  #89  
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 451
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by HabanaJoe View Post
Richie,

Haven't seen you on here in awhile, nice to see you posting again - love to read your stories!!!
Thanks Joey: Have been busy with new job, Director of sales and dealer developement for Deep Impact Boats in Miami. Are you comming to the miami Boat show, if so stop by and say hello, I`ll be out back of the convention center Booth # 3752 main Isle last booth before entering the pavillion where the buses pick up and drop off. Hope to see you there, and actually I am told next to me will be a bunch of Offshore racers, go figure huh.
7xchamp is offline  
Old 02-02-2009, 11:21 AM
  #90  
Registered
iTrader: (2)
 
MidOcean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Lake Norman/ Cornelius, NC
Posts: 1,632
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by 7xchamp View Post
Clarification: Chris Smith was not Larry Smith`s son, Larry only has a daughter. Little known fact is that Charlie Strang, then President and CEO of O.M.C. along with Larry Smith asked if I would test run the boat and give an evaluation as to wheather the accident was driver error or the fault of the boat. I tested the boat in Stuart at the O.M.C. test base, I took Larry Smith and a friend of mine to drive, It was rough as hell, and we ran the snot out of the boat, tripped it in once and Larry hit his elbow, I think broke it, was in lot`s of pain, we finished the run, all OK I then raced the boat in open class in inaugural St Augustine race, rookie driver and navigator we got third in open class, same race Rockie A. disintegrated his Cat with Howard Quam. By finishing third the boat qualified to run the worlds in Key West with some Aussies who bought it and I believe took it to Australia. The boat was awsome fast for it`s time, estimated HP each I was told was over 450hp, power to weight made it quick, Best I saw was 92 mph at a time when the best scarabs were running 88 to 90. The boat accelerated really hard, was actually a fun boat, could have been tweaked and C.G.`d a little better. Shame about the two deaths, but they just ran it over there head and got bit.

My bad. We were notified in the pits at the Cape Coral Lee County regata by Jerry J. and that was what I was told at that time... keep in mind 1982..
MidOcean is offline  

Quick Reply: Scarab Race Boat pics


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.