36` Cigarette Copper Kettle >

36` Cigarette Copper Kettle

Notices

36` Cigarette Copper Kettle

Old 10-16-2009, 11:40 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Black Tornado
Sandy Satullo of Clevaland,Ohio,was owner of the chain of restaurants Copper Kettle and before buying a Cig. 36' to race he was positively ventured in the karts and others motorsport disciplines.
On the lake Erie it was in rivalry with the friend Dominic Visconsi that it possessed a Magnum 28' that was faster than his Chris Craft 22'.
This way Satullo decided to go to Miami to find a boat to beat his friend.
He went to Magnum but it didn't find interest then he went to Don Aronow that initially didn't want to sell him one of the his36' because he think the grizzled 49 years old incapable to drive it.
Satullo insisted with Don and succeeded in convincing to make him a test with Barry Cordingly that to the time worked with Don.
Satullo returned to Cleveland announcing to Visconsi that his power in sea was ended.
The brand new 36' called Copper Kettle with the race number 7 was launched three days before the Hurricane Classic of St. Petersburg the February 19 1972 and in that competition Satullo won!
The Copper Kettle repeated the victories other three consecutive times included the Bahamas 500. An unparalleled record.
In the meantime also the friend-rival Visconsi had hastened to Aronow to buy another 36' that he called Popeyes but he never succeeded in beating Satullo.
In the 1973 Satullo drives 36' for some competitions still winning the Hurricane Classic but then he jump on the new Gara 40' in wood and he lends the 36' to the Italian publisher Giorgio Mondadori that he affixes his race number 333.
Also in the 1975 Satullo drove occasionally the 36' that it will bring him to his only victory of that year in the Marina Del Rey Classic but getting the prestigious National Title.
In the 1976 Satullo definitely abandoned the old 36' for the new Bertram 38' in Kevlar.
The 36' with the race number 6 reappeared to the last seasonal competition in Key West driven by Jack Tushinsky that had momentarily remained probably without boat after he had sold the his new 35' to Doxford that same year.
Doctor Robert Gingold has finally driven the 36' Copper Kettle with the race number 36 in the 1980.

1972-73

Key West 1976 with Jack Tushinsky. Pic from HORBA.

1980 Robert Gingold. From the 1982's calendar of Beken.
heres apic
Attached Thumbnails 36` Cigarette Copper Kettle-scan0002-large-custom-.jpg  
Old 10-16-2009, 03:14 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

JERSEY DEVIL the first pic of my post came just from your original signed.

Last edited by Black Tornado; 10-16-2009 at 03:17 PM.
Old 10-17-2009, 12:42 AM
Registered

Default Sandy Sutollo

I did a google search on him about a year ago and it appears he bought a very expensive cruiser for 700k or so and kept it in Florida for a while and then brought it to Ohio. He got into a big dispute with the IRS over tax to be paid on it. Apparently during the fight he passed away. RIP.
Old 10-17-2009, 12:47 AM
Registered

RIP. Hopefully he passed owing the IRS money
Old 10-17-2009, 09:06 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

I have posted these pictures before, but here they are .. One pic of Sandy's CC XK, and two of his 40' Gara.. The Gara was going out for a test run on Lake Erie, and the other raising her out after she sank during a test on the lake.. After this wood Gara sank, Sandy raced the old Cig at that Ohio race..
Attached Thumbnails 36` Cigarette Copper Kettle-scan0021-cc.jpg   36` Cigarette Copper Kettle-scan0021-cc1.jpg   36` Cigarette Copper Kettle-scan0021-cc2.jpg  

Old 10-17-2009, 02:25 PM
Registered

Wink

JERSEY DEVIL the first pic of my post came just from your original signed.
ok looked the same thought you may have one also ha ha
Old 10-17-2009, 02:37 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

h2oboater:
I remember of that pics in onother old thread.
The Chris Craft in the first photo should be the same of which I have spoken about of when before beginning the career in offshore Satullo he used for dueling with the Magnum 28' of Visconsi.
Note in the third pic the four air intakes of the engines hatches are the same to those of the Cigarettes 36'.
Old 10-17-2009, 05:41 PM
Registered

Well I remember his Copper Kettle bar/restaurant on Center Ridge Rd. in Rocky River, Ohio and that he lived nearby in Fairview Park. His racing photos were on the wall at Zappone's restaurant (MR. Z's) in Cleveland. His Copper kettle dry-stack building in Lorain burned in the 1980's. Used to see his Copper Kettle Scarab at Martha's Restaurant on the intracoastal in Hollywood, FL. and I believe he had a home on the ocean in the Hillsboro Mile near the inlet. He had another Copper Kettle restaurant across from Broward General Hospital in Ft. Lauderdale. Sounds like he kept up his passion for boating until the end...
Old 10-17-2009, 06:55 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

h2oboater:
I remember of that pics in onother old thread.
The Chris Craft in the first photo should be the same of which I have spoken about of when before beginning the career in offshore Satullo he used for dueling with the Magnum 28' of Visconsi.
Note in the third pic the four air intakes of the engines hatches are the same to those of the Cigarettes 36'.
BT I think the air intakes were the only all fiber glass part on this Gara, as I believe this hull was a racing wood plug...
Old 10-31-2009, 06:19 PM
Registered

The pic of the Gara sinking was taken at the Gas dock at Cleveland Yacht Club. The night before the Lake Erie race all the racers were up in the bar "gassing" it up and describing Lake Erie as a pond. At the end of the race in that very same bar , I never heard that expression again. There were many Dnf. In fact, they never wanted to race Lake Erie again and did not for many years. The rumor , at the time, was that Satullo's 36 had been built unintentionally without one layer of glass. Apparently the Cigarette layup crew went to lunch and lost count. His boat was faster than the other 36 Cigarettes with the same power.

Quick Reply: 36` Cigarette Copper Kettle

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.