anyone familiar with this book UFFA FOX

Notices

anyone familiar with this book UFFA FOX

Old 01-24-2007, 11:32 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anyone familiar with this book UFFA FOX

Titled "Seamanslike Sense in Powercraft".
I found a nice copy in a swap meet for $5. It is a walk through the designn buiding, and performance of powerboat building from the early 1900's. Te writer who wrote 5 books in the pre war era now came out with the book writing about his involvement as an apprentice boat buider/designer when he began around 1912 or so.
What is interesting is one chapter of the boat "Maple Leaf IV." Which during the period of 1912-13 it was the fastest boat in the world attaining 50knots. Had 40 foot hull / 8.5' beam/ and hull had with 5 steps, FORD 800hp at 1100rpm. prop was 25" dia. with 47.5" pitch and with a displacement of 5.25 tons.

This boat was compared to an identical boat built by the same builder , however the sitershp which was named "Ursula" had a flat bottom. Same power and all else equal this boat would only run 35 knots compared to the stepped bottom running 55 knots.

The builder says much of the boats handling and sea worthyness in rough water was compromised by the stepped bottom boat.

This book gos on to show construction details and designs ending with the ANNUAL INTERNATIONAL COWES-TORQUAY RACE.. (early 1960's)

The race in England included Jim Wynne in "Ghost Rider" and his passenger who endured 2 broken legs at the ankles from the pounding..
Don Arnow was the first to finish with outboards in one race and it goes on to speak of other well known boats, owners and designs that changed the way boats were built and ideas for the future designs of powerboats.
This is a very interesting book and was published 1968.
Keep an eye out for it.
DOG
Old 01-24-2007, 11:44 AM
Registered

Received 201 Likes on 80 Posts
Default Re: anyone familiar with this book UFFA FOX

I have had that book for years ....it is a very good addition to anyone's library.

So.....you thought the "step" was a new idea eh???
Old 01-24-2007, 11:53 AM
Platinum Member

Received 134 Likes on 80 Posts
Default Re: anyone familiar with this book UFFA FOX

My older brother got a copy as a gift , must have been the year it was published.... I remember poking through it when I was little

I wonder where it is now ... I bet it's still at my folk's house somewhere ...hmmm