Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Classic Offshore
She's finally here....... 29' Mirage for restoration. >

She's finally here....... 29' Mirage for restoration.

Notices

She's finally here....... 29' Mirage for restoration.

Old 04-10-2007, 05:07 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey Boosted scarab Now is the time to check the fuel system. On my boat, I used an electric pump to transfer fuel from the front tank to the back, I only ran off the back tank with a "T" in one fitting for the front tank hose. Instead of running to the fuel valves on the dash for transfer, now you can run the rear tank fuel lines back toward the rear of the boat shortening the fuel lines by 15' . Front tank can now be used as a ballast tank and fuel storage. A switch on the dash for the front tank pump and one shut off, and you have a more direct system. I experienced fuel starvation and realized how small the stock Cigarette lines were. Used Quality hoses and check the tanks. Just my two cents good luck jay.
Old 04-10-2007, 08:02 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome info...

I only have one tank though, it runs the length of the cockpit, about 2 1/2 feet wide, depth still unknown. Aluminum construction, 120 gallons. You can see the access panel in the cockpit pic.

The tank outlets were capped off. I need to remove the sender and have a look inside to determine the condition. The tank looks to be a snug fit,..then expandable foam (not too much) was used around it, so I'm sure getting it out would be a real pain.

Any ideas on flushing it out with it still in the boat....anyone?

And.......I'm re-considering SBC's.

Thanks so far for the comments

Last edited by BOOSTEDSCARAB; 04-10-2007 at 08:07 PM.
Old 04-21-2007, 09:31 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BOOSTEDSCARAB
Any ideas on flushing it out with it still in the boat....anyone?
Thanks so far for the comments
This one easy, you can use the diesel method which I’m doing this weekend on one of mine restores, drain the tank the best you can then start with 10 gallons of diesel to flush the tank use the electric fuel pump to cycle the diesel through the system just make sure you have at least four fuel filters to waste, keep cycling it through this should run about 15 to 20 minutes per filter and then drain it back out give it to a not so good of friend to run in his truck (just kidding) he my want a extra filter & injectors. The diesel left in the tank will evaporate with the sender pulled with you being in AZ.

Run dyno'd small blocks & bravos...

Nice looking ride,

Last edited by VintageOffshoreClassic; 04-21-2007 at 09:21 PM.
Old 04-21-2007, 11:17 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

Well here my is my 2 cent's,, I have converted a single engine Magnum to twins, boat handled and ran so much better. The boats made in the 70's are much heaver than todays , my Mirage ran low 70's with mostly stock small blocks. Why reinvent the wheel even with Trs drives or Bravos and higher x the boat would rock, the 29'ss is a big boat. Back around 1988 I would put numbers on my stock Mirage and race it in A class against single engine big block boats and beat them every time. After the race I would put kids back in the boat and take them swimming !! Just my 2 cents.
Attached Thumbnails She's finally here....... 29' Mirage for restoration.-scan0009.jpg  
Old 04-21-2007, 06:04 PM
Registered

Received 482 Likes on 162 Posts

Keep it TRS or go for the Kronrads..... Twin small blocks 4 sure. Forget the single idea....... Just my thoughts. I had a Mirage like yours but with 454's TRS, Great boats. Raced a Mirage in "M" class in APBA in the early 80's it ran 75 mph. Great rough water boat.........Good luck with the resto.

LS
Attached Thumbnails She's finally here....... 29' Mirage for restoration.-stealaway.jpg   She's finally here....... 29' Mirage for restoration.-gazpacho.jpg  

Last edited by lucky strike; 04-21-2007 at 06:06 PM. Reason: Added Pictures
Old 04-21-2007, 07:40 PM
Registered

twins all the way!
Old 04-21-2007, 09:36 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by h2oboater
Well here my is my 2 cent's,, I have converted a single engine Magnum to twins, boat handled and ran so much better. The boats made in the 70's are much heaver than todays , my Mirage ran low 70's with mostly stock small blocks. Why reinvent the wheel even with Trs drives or Bravos and higher x the boat would rock, the 29'ss is a big boat. Back around 1988 I would put numbers on my stock Mirage and race it in A class against single engine big block boats and beat them every time. After the race I would put kids back in the boat and take them swimming !! Just my 2 cents.
M2o nice looking !!! M you know that was made a few miles up from my place. The 111 is easy to make and a quick peel off
Old 04-22-2007, 07:50 PM
Registered

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

Go twins,i did a single in a 27 magnum sedan ,a 598 with a stern power ssp,it went 70 with 680 horse,my x was to high and the front did not pick up,but the hull was probally too heavy, that miarage is a great boat good luck tripps
Old 04-24-2007, 02:10 PM
Registered

Thanks for all the helpful info guys, I will be going with twin SBC's.

I bought a pair of used Bravo 1's,...so I'll be going with those. I'm looking for a pair of HP Gimbals too....

I will be posting some more pics this week.
Old 04-24-2007, 02:24 PM
JC Performance Engines
Gold Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Great Choices!

Quick Reply: She's finally here....... 29' Mirage for restoration.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.