Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Smile

Hello Jery!!!!!!!!!
Attached Thumbnails The Bahamas500 race-lhawky.astscan.jpg  
Old 05-17-2007, 08:42 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

wow what brass we have on this thread...jeeze its great to read all your thoughts, thank you...

Christian Del Collo
I am 27
Old 05-18-2007, 12:07 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 7xchamp
Interesting you inquire: Most all the boats were Mercury Lake X and Oshkosh era. in 1967 it was Gene Wagner and Richie Powers 21` Seacraft twin 110 hp Mercs. Best I can remember all the outboard boats were twin engine. Out of almost 75 starters we were 8th overall and first outboard. Race started at daybreak was 548 miles with one stop for fuel in Naussau which took less than 5 min. we finished around 1:30 in the morning, seas were rough, final leg of the race was so rough and dark we punched through couple rougue waves, got knocked back into the engine well, then after we tied ourselves into the boat and soldiered on. It was so rough the finish boat left station, so Kiekhaefer sent Billy Steale out in the middle of the night in a 28` formula with a revolving blue light, so that the remaining boats that were on their way would know where the finish line was, saved our lives. After we finished Red Chrise declared the race a two day race so anyone finishing the next day would be awarded a respective finish. When we finished it took us almost 2 hours before we could even stand up without falling over. This was my second race ever, I was 19 yrs old, the first race was a 50 miler in St Pete, guess that`s what made champions. Odell Lewis won it. One year Aronow won it in triple outboard 28` Magnum just behind Odell, maybe 1968, I think John Stenbach won it maybe 1969 ????????????? Cary 4 engine outboard, really not to sure, I`ll try and do some research to let you know. I have many long stories about all the 500`s. as I was with the Factory team for all of them. As well in the later years I won two shortened 500`s one with Carlo Bonomi ( Dry Martini ) and again with Tom Gentry ( American Eagle ). Great races, I am currently working on a revival with Jerry Jacoby in conjunction with the new Don Aronow Documentary. Thanks for your interest 7XCHAMP

I want too say, Richie awesome remembrance of the races you & Brownie and others do one heck of a job for all of us whom love the classic history of the sport of Offshore racing. Thank you both....
Old 05-18-2007, 07:03 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 84 Likes on 31 Posts

[QUOTE=speedo;2131708]Wow is that cool or what? Where did you ever get that?

That is off the back of a late 80's Cigarette Satin Jacket. I got one in my closet. It had red CIGARETTE down one sleve, white World Champion down the other and the cig logo on the left front chest. I wore that thing all through college along with my Kamikaze A-33 jacket.
Old 05-18-2007, 07:38 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

[QUOTE=Tom A.;2132036]
Originally Posted by speedo
Wow is that cool or what? Where did you ever get that?

That is off the back of a late 80's Cigarette Satin Jacket. I got one in my closet. It had red CIGARETTE down one sleve, white World Champion down the other and the cig logo on the left front chest. I wore that thing all through college along with my Kamikaze A-33 jacket.
CLOSE BUT NO CIGAR......early 80s....Right Jerry?
Old 05-18-2007, 08:15 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

cool, do you still have it?? [QUOTE=Tom A.;2132036]
Originally Posted by speedo
Wow is that cool or what? Where did you ever get that?

Old 05-18-2007, 09:07 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by bigshrimpin
Anyone know which year this race was?

Great picture: that would be me in the back, I used to deliver the motors to Carl Moesly the originator of Sea Craft, not Bill Potter Incidentally Carl Moesly is another non recognized legend who should be remembered for his contributions to the sport of Offshore. I used to bring the motors from Lake X to Miami, Rig them on the boat then co-drive with carl, Carl is the one who gave me my real start in Offshore after Gene Wagner. 1967 1968 This picture I believe was the Gateway Marathon, and we were returning from Bimini ????? racing against Magoon also in an outboard triple Magnum, our boat was triple 110 hp merc 25` Sea Craft. Carl got hurt and told me I had to take the wheel, so we switched positions, and I took off for Magoon, caught him just before the finish passed him and won. Carl wrote an incredible letter to Mr. K. about how good I did racing his boat and that he wanted me to continue racing his boat, as he had hurt his back and could no longer race. I raced the Sea Craft in several races, Doug Janisch was my co-driver in a couple races. I also built and raced a special 29` Formula simalar to one **** Genth won round long Island with. duplicate boats, his was I/O mine was triple outboard with Gene Wagner driving I was co-driver again,Boat name was Joan E. we built the boats entirely in the boathouse with Wayne Meyer in Oshkosh, I mean decks stringers etc. with Mr. K supervising the whole project. I could go on but not enough time and stories are to long. There is a picture of Wagner and me in the Searace book page 100 1967 we are the 505 boat, Brownie will remember, I think he was in the Broad Jumper if memory is working.
It`s great that there is interest in the outboard guys, as they were a really tough breed and many unsung superstars who need to be remembered. It is incredible to think back and how Carl Kiek. gave young kids a break to go Offshore racing. Many of us were just endurance test drivers either from Lake X, Sarasota, or Fond du lac and Oshkosh, Many had never even been in a boat in the ocean, much less a race boat, but off we went, I was youngest at 19 yrs old, the kid. Others were not much older. That is what the Merc. team was about, with mentors like Sirois, Backus, Ridgell, Riggs, Odell. etc.
Many of us started as boat guards at the races, then co-driver`s then drivers. Rest as they say is history, Carl Kiekhaefer was my Vince Lombardi and always will be.
all for now 7XCHAMP
Old 05-18-2007, 09:19 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 84 Likes on 31 Posts

As far as the Cig Jacket, I bought it at the 1988 NYC Boat Show. I was a sophmore in high school.

I still have the jacket, It is a little worn out (holes in elbows and I put a couple Merc racing patches over the worn spots on the pockets) and doesn't quite fit me now, however I am trying to get down to try and fit back in it.

I will try to post some pics of it, the Kamikaze jacket, and some pics of the old race boat when I get a chance.
Old 05-18-2007, 01:47 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bahamas 500 Results

The 1967 race in particular can be viewed on www.boatmad.com.Select Multimedia and look in Graham`s library.These results were taken from a British magazine in 1967.The 1968 only has basic results.These are race results from 1956 to present day I have compiled over the years.
Old 05-18-2007, 09:43 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank You Flying fish!!

Quick Reply: The Bahamas500 race

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.