Notices

Bahama's 500

Old 07-20-2007, 10:33 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jim - Glad to hear news on Phil. Bill ran several different boats in Offshore. I will list what I remember:
Formula 23, 3 or 4 Outboards, Miami-Nassau 1966?, Co-driver?,
T-Craft 21'?, 2 Outboards, Gateway Marathon? 196?, Chet Strickland
Old Yellar, 28' Donzi?, 2x427 sterndrives, 1st Bahama 500(and other races, Gateway?), Ed Leslie
Sternwinder, 31' Bertram, 2x427 sterndrives, 2nd Bahama 500, Mike Ramsey?, Also Around Long Island 1968, Fred Kiekhaefer
Formula 28', 3 Outboards in Europe, Co-driver?
There were others that I can’t remember
And of Course he Throttled very successfully for several guys..I will look through “Searace” this evening and maybe I can ferret out better answer.
Charlie - I found this picture at HORBA 1966 Miami-Nassau and I am wondering if this is Bill? I never saw the Formula 23 that I referenced above. -Steve
Attached Thumbnails Bahama's 500-formula-4x.jpg  
Old 07-20-2007, 10:44 AM
Registered

Another picture of same boat from HORBA. Based on outer engine spacing and cowlings, I think there are 4 engines, and it looks like a Formula 23, which further leads me to believe that this is Bill -Steve
Attached Thumbnails Bahama's 500-formula4x2.jpg  
Old 07-20-2007, 10:51 AM
Registered

Do a reasonable amount of offshore fishing everytime we go out with many trips to the Bahamas,,,,,,,,,,, and fishing off 38 Rampage with 1150 HP diesels with Air Conditioned Helm,,,,,,,,,, am shocked and amazed at reflecting back and seeing some of the photos,of 23 Seacrafts,cut-down Formulas,stuff like Bill Coopers, Spooky,,,,,, if I remember right in Odells 33 Maritime,all Mel Riggs had to hang on to was a welded together extra old steering whell,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, very little padded bolster,, Realize that was 40 years ago,,,,,, but the water was just as rough than as it is today,,,,,,,,,,,,,, A bunch of tough old birds for sure !!!!!!!!!!!! Respectfully GO Fish
Old 07-20-2007, 10:57 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by seeroy
E. C. Kiekhaefer, "EC" to some, "Carl" to some, "Mr K" to some, "Mr Kiekhaefer" to some (Me), "The Old Man" to most (When he wasn't in earshot) -Steve
Here's a few of Mr K and Knocky I'v recently come across.... pretty positive these are never before seen....

Now which one of you guys is holding out on old Donzi photo's?
Attached Thumbnails Bahama's 500-carlk_and_knocky_2.jpg   Bahama's 500-knocky_carlk_2.jpg  
Old 07-20-2007, 01:20 PM
instigator
Platinum Member

I think that second photo is in Indian Creek, just south of the Broad Causeway headed south towards the golf course ??
Old 07-20-2007, 02:42 PM
Registered

Received 213 Likes on 85 Posts

Another picture of same boat from HORBA. Based on outer engine spacing and cowlings, I think there are 4 engines, and it looks like a Formula 23, which further leads me to believe that this is Bill -Steve
Steve I think you may right with that 233 Formula.
Old 07-20-2007, 03:42 PM
Registered

Donzi38ZR - I don't know why the pics of Knocky and Mr K hit me the way they did, but the first one absolutely floored me. Mr K leaning against the car that way told me he was perfectly relaxed and at ease talking with Knocky. And, of course, Knocky's stance was as you would always see. I only spent time around Knocky for a couple of months, but he always put me at ease. Does anyone know if Knocky is still with us? Respectfully - Steve Sirois
Old 07-20-2007, 04:38 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark75H
409 Daytonas ... cool!

Most people don't know that Daytona offered turbocharged marine conversions with water cooled exhaust turbine housings, intercoolers and boost pressure regulation waaaaay before anyone like Gale Banks.

Those 409 Chevys could have been 400 or 425 hp @4,000 which was really big horsepower in those days
Like the ones on Surfury?
Daytona 427 Scarabs?

Old 07-20-2007, 07:53 PM
Registered

Received 213 Likes on 85 Posts

Donzi38ZR - I don't know why the pics of Knocky and Mr K hit me the way they did, but the first one absolutely floored me. Mr K leaning against the car that way told me he was perfectly relaxed and at ease talking with Knocky. And, of course, Knocky's stance was as you would always see. I only spent time around Knocky for a couple of months, but he always put me at ease. Does anyone know if Knocky is still with us? Respectfully - Steve Sirois
Steve ....Knocky is gone. He was always great with me too. He helped me a great deal when I was learning the black art of props and how to trim a boat correctly.

He was a guy that even Aronow respected very much and was careful around. They made a great pair.

Knocky was one tough guy no matter what the circumstances. Not many know he was an Olympic wrestler for the United States.
Attached Thumbnails Bahama's 500-donald-aronow0034a.jpg  

Last edited by Top Banana; 07-20-2007 at 07:59 PM.
Old 07-21-2007, 03:56 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 53 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeyFIN
Like the ones on Surfury?
Daytona 427 Scarabs?

Wow.........What year is this from ?

Thanks for all the continued history....Great Stuff !!

Jon

Quick Reply: Bahama's 500

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.