Notices

Bahama's 500

Old 07-25-2007, 12:20 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Screaming Yellow Zonker

Originally Posted by nocigarette
This kind of stuff is why i stayed in my garage all winter and restored my magnum...........

Went from pic one to pic two.......

I must say the expieriences you guys have and the stories you pour out make me wish i grew up 30 years earlier......Thanks again for sharing..
I remember seeing that boat years ago... I just can't remeber where in Detroit.

Wannabe
Old 07-25-2007, 12:56 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What ever happened to Mike Gordon? I moved out of Miami back in the 70's and I think he had just sold his restuarant on the 79 Street Causeway. Does anyone know what happened to Dave Craig who owned Skyway Marine?

Mumper1

Originally Posted by seeroy
Hey Brownie - I enjoyed your story in Hot Boat. I can visulize Mike Gordon hanging upside down in his straps. I never met Sam Sara, but I saw some of his work. I think he did the Beautiful turbo-charged Chevy in Johhny Bakos Rayson Craft. I could be wrong but Jim Hauser (Go Fish) could confirm. As to the 1st Bahamas 500, I think the demolition derby by fire, broken hulls, broken engines and bodies taught alot of lessons to everybody in how to build and rig boats that could endure. Additionally, I think it opened alot of eyes to the importance of being able to know where all the boats and crews are. As I remember, a couple of crews seemed to have dropped off of the edge of the Earth for awhile. I know that Bob Donahue and Red(?) sunk early on and went missing for quite some time. It seems to me that the wooden Sonny Levi boat (Formula/Genth?) disappeared for awhile after being abandoned. I think a passing freighter crew came upon it and tried to salvage it by lifting it out with a cable, but instead broke it in half. I know that most of the radios in the fleet were broken very early on and were useless. Also, I think that some of the Check-boats left station before some of the straggelers (Wayne Vickers and I) managed to reach the finish on the 2nd day......Bottom Line....I think Offshore Racing has lead to incredible improvements and the 500 certainly did. I remember seeing a couple of smoke pillars during that first 500 and I just remembered seeing something else during the second or third 500 that was downright spooky. I think it was while running between Cat Cay and Chub(?) Cay we came upon a 50-60' yacht that was fully engulfed in flames and nobody in sight. We stopped and radioed the Coast Guard. I don't remember what they said, but it lead us to go about our way. You know how intense a fire at sea can be and, after 40 years, I can still visulize that scene. -Steve
Old 07-25-2007, 01:04 PM
Registered

I have a question: In the 1968 500 there was a yellow 33 foot formula which I believe was actually numbered "33". The driver's name was Rusty [can't recall his last name]. Does that ring a bell with anyone who might know Rusty's last name.

mumper1
Old 07-25-2007, 01:28 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mike died 8 or 10 years ago. I went to his funeral. 150 seats, 1500 people................ I don't recall the yellow 33' Formula. For that matter, I don't recall how many beers I had last night.....
Old 07-25-2007, 02:14 PM
Registered

Brownie- Thanks for the info on Mike Gordon.

mumper1
Old 07-25-2007, 04:50 PM
Registered

Thanks guys this stuff is amazing! I had the pleasure and privelage of running out of the Bay through Government Cut yesterday in MiamiBoys 28 Pantera race boat (potato chip with three man bolsters and a blower motor). We turned left out of the inlet and ran a few hundred yards off the beach.

Charley's story of running down the beach (inside of some swimmers as I recall) on his way back from the Bahamas popped into my head and as it did, I was struck with an overwhelming sense of history. I was re-tracing the tracks of so many of the greats (in an appropriate machine no less!). I really felt a great sense of pride and privelage to be able to do what I was doing and I felt a sense of appreciation for all you guys who really did it, who are willing to share your stories and pictures with the rest of us.

(What an amazing day and an amazing ride by the way. Thanks again to Albert for taking me out!)

I also followed it up with a visit to Pantera where I got to see a real live offshore legend... The Nunez family and that office are like stepping into the pages of SeaRace. Big thumbs-up!

Last edited by Dude! Sweet!; 07-25-2007 at 04:55 PM.
Old 07-27-2007, 10:48 AM
Registered

Default Dave Craig

Dave is doing great..lives near Titusville..He and his quite lovely wife spent the weekend with us at the Mt Dora show..I even took him for a ride in a Raveau..He is the same as he ever was, with gray hair..
Attached Thumbnails Bahama's 500-dscn0536.jpg   Bahama's 500-dscn0538.jpg  
Old 07-27-2007, 10:54 AM
instigator
Platinum Member

If you bring that to Polk City, can I bum a ride.... I luv those Rav woody's...
Old 07-27-2007, 12:16 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by lilabner
Dave is doing great..lives near Titusville..He and his quite lovely wife spent the weekend with us at the Mt Dora show..I even took him for a ride in a Raveau..He is the same as he ever was, with gray hair..
WOW !!!!!!!! Talk about memories. My first boat was a 14` Raveau utility. As a kid I used to help Marcel sand the boats, when he was building them at Dixon`s Marina on Siesta Key, My family lived in one of the cottages in the Marina. Marcel taught me about cupped propellers etc.
As for my friend Dave Craig, please tell him I say hello and send my regards, we also have some good Kiekhaefer stories together. Dave should be listed as one of powerboat racing legends as well, and characters for sure.
Quick story, while I was racing Offshore with Martini and Rossi in Europe 1972-1973 era, I was at a race in Port La Rague near Cannes France, I was on top of the deck of the race boat on the trailer, I looked out into the little harbor and saw a Revaeu, with two elderly people in it, and yes it was Marcel and his wife. He was living on a sail boat close by, we had dinner together and recalled some great times together, I won the race and dedicated it to them, they were at the awards ceremony etc. He was one of my first mentors. Remember the old cats 1960`s era, Powercats, reveaus etc. Bakos, Odell etc. racing them, God how I loved those boats. When I was a test driver for Merc. on Siesta Key I ran a 15` powercat ex-race boat with merc 500`s and really scary 650`s as in 50 and 65 hp motors for the younger crowd.
Well you sure stirred the cells, thanks 7XCHAMP
Old 07-27-2007, 12:21 PM
Registered

Thanks for the info and photos of Dave. I've often wondered what he did with that Excalibur he used to run back in the late 60's.

mumper1
Originally Posted by lilabner

Quick Reply: Bahama's 500

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.