1965 turbine thunderbird >

1965 turbine thunderbird

Notices

1965 turbine thunderbird

Old 10-25-2007, 10:12 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Charlie, thanks for the reply!
I am looking forward to the pics, That would be great! Are any of the pics in color? Would it be possible to get some original foto's to help document the boat? Or maybe some high quality reproductions. I sure would like to find as much original literature as possible. I would like to make a nice book and display for showing the boat at special events or races. I think a boat like this with it's special history should be shown to the younger generation to spark there interest in offshore racing and to remember what it was like in the early days of racing. It is a special boat and the people that designed and built and raced it were special people too and should always be remember and honored.They helped shape and build offshore racing to what it is today.
Anyway I am going to start stripping tthe boat in earnest starting next week, I will try to post some pictures as the original finish reapears after 30 or 40 years of hideing under 2 or 3 layers of paint . I hope it is in good shape and only needs minor touch-up. I am haveing a hard time sleeping, thinking and wondering what's under that paint! I feel like an archealogist digging up bones from the past to piece together to preserve for the furture generations.
This boat is awesome!!!!!
Thanks
[email protected]

Last edited by 1965 thunderbird; 11-19-2010 at 03:10 PM.
Old 10-25-2007, 10:20 PM
Registered

Default props

Thank for the reply on the props
When I got the boat he had an extra set of props and 2 extra water cooled turbo charges. I would like to find an extra set of turbines ( might be tuff to find!!)
thanks
jim
Old 10-25-2007, 10:50 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Da Is Looking Up Some Of His Pics. He Says He Has Some Somewhere
Old 10-25-2007, 11:40 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Julesburg Colorado!........I've driven through about a million times.....not much water around there.....is there?

Old 10-26-2007, 12:05 AM
Registered

Yea, I agree! The nearest lake is lake Mc Conaughy in Nebraska, it's about 30 miles from me. The lake is pretty low and is only 11 miles long now, was 20. I went up there with my brother in law in his 36 ft Spetra. We ran it up to 150 on the GPS, it ate up that lake pretty quick! The person he bought the boat from has had it up to 168 and still going!With 1575 HP per side it's kind of scarry, my boat is suppose to top out at 65-70 and cruise at 45-50, I think that might be a little more sane.
jim
Old 10-26-2007, 01:55 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 1965 thunderbird
Charlie, thanks for the reply!
I am looking forward to the pics, That would be great! Are any of the pics in color? Would it be possible to get some original foto's to help document the boat? Or maybe some high quality reproductions. I sure would like to find as much original literature as possible. I would like to make a nice book and display for showing the boat at special events or races. I think a boat like this with it's special history should be shown to the younger generation to spark there interest in offshore racing and to remember what it was like in the early days of racing. It is a special boat and the people that designed and built and raced it were special people too and should always be remember and honored.They helped shape and build offshore racing to what it is today.
Anyway I am going to start stripping tthe boat in earnest starting next week, I will try to post some pictures as the original finish reapears after 30 or 40 years of hideing under 2 or 3 layers of paint . I hope it is in good shape and only needs minor touch-up. I am haveing a hard time sleeping, thinking and wondering what's under that paint! I feel like an archealogist digging up bones from the past to piece together to preserve for the furture generations.
This boat is awesome!!!!!
Thanks
James Mc Nitt
17393 hwy 138
Julesburg Co 80737
[email protected]
970-590-3275 cell
970-474-9990 hm

Congratulations on your historical find: I have some personal history I will share with you re: the Turbine boat.
I am a former member of the Mercury factory Offshore team, out of Lake X, I was 19 yrs old when I was assigned my first boat to race by Mr. K.
The story is that Mr. K. used to invite the race team up to Fond du lac for a barbeque from time to time, and he would parade us through the factory as his boys, including Odell Lewis, Mel Riggs etc. When at the barbeque at his house we would ride his motorcycles around his property, on rare occasions he would fire up the famous Chrysler 300 stock car that he kept in his garage, and tell us all the stories of his adventures in life. To say the least I was aw struck just to be in his presence, as I am sure everyone was, He eventually became like a step dad to me, and I am beholding to him for evrything he gave to me.
As part of this barbecue we went to the boathouse and rode a few boats that were there at the time, one was a four engine houseboat without the house, the other was the turbine boat which was Mona Lou at the time. About 8 of us piled in the open cockpit, and with the old man driving chewing on a cigar we were off on the ride of my life, naturally Odell was beside him to help.
The startup was very cool. I remember it had two sets of throttles, and two brake peddles on the bulkhead, as well as two automobile shift levers. I was told the shift levers were for two Lasalle transmissions, and that they used high gear forward and reverse for reversing. The brake peddles were for Braking the first stage of the turbine to enable shifting. The whole procdure was exciting to say the least, docking was pretty tricky with both motors running, brakeing shifting etc. while the turbines are screaming away.
When we went on plane mr. K. used one set of throttles, then when up he left the first set wide open and then opened up the second set. I think we topped out at around 75 mph. which in the late sixties was pretty respectable. WHAT A RIDE!!!!!! I will always remember it as one of my most treasured.
The motors were Pratt and Witney I think around 600 or 650hp. I remember at one of the Calif. races evryone protested the boat, so Mr. K. called in the engineers from Pratt which was close by and said detune the motors to 450hp, they did and were allowed to race, where she then kicked their butts again and won. I think it was one of the last races she did, as she was eventually outlawed on the circuit. I wish someone would step-up and help you restore her to original, I will be more than happy to help on the engineering side, and Odell Lewis is still around, and I`m sure could still give her a run.
Enjoy her and good luck with her, she is a proud old girl. I don`t know if you knew but Jim Wynn built her and raced her then Mr. K bought her. Mr. K loved turbines and special types of motors, I drove one of the first Wankel powered Mazdas from Calif. to Fondulac for him when they first came to america, I think he bought the first five cars, He tore the motors apart, and was figuring how to adapt them for marine use, that`s another story. 7XCHAMP Richie
Old 10-26-2007, 11:02 PM
Registered

Richie
Thanks for some history on the thunderbird or as I now have found it was called mona lou also. When I bought it, it was called Ocean Strider. Are there anymore names that it has had? I think that it should go back to its original appearance as thunderbird, What do you guys think? Obviously there are alot of people that know alot more about this boat than I do and I would greatly appreciate any input of any kind from anyone out there. I would like to gather as much info as possible to keep with the boat. When I got this boat I didn't know much about it's history except for the articles that I found on the internet, which obviously peeked my interest, I like things that are unique or different. I didn't realize the great historical value of this boat ,it will make owning this boat a very rewarding experience! I would like to put the turbines back in it, but I am not sure how far to go. Should I put the original type V drives or use the Arneson surface drives? The original transmision apparently was from a La Salle which I have 3 ( 1940 club coupe, 1938 covertible coupe and a 1940 sedan) in various stages of restoration, So I have 2 extra transmisions I could use for this project. I may be able to find the original V-drives, I will check with the person I bought the boat from.
Let me know what you guys think.
thanks
jim
Old 10-26-2007, 11:31 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Cool Stuff. Thanks Richie. Still Waiting On The Phone Call On The Pt-6 Turbines
Old 10-27-2007, 11:19 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's fabulous news!

Heres a short thread about your boat.

http://www.proprider.com/forum/showthread.php?t=287
Old 10-29-2007, 10:52 PM
Registered

I talked to the person I got the boat from and he still has the V-drives and other parts! He said I could have them if I paid the shipping. So I am going to get these parts and at least keep them with the boat. If I get some turbines I think that the surface drives would be a better choice. But who know's, how original should it be?
jim

Quick Reply: 1965 turbine thunderbird

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.