Notices

Daddy Cool

Old 10-30-2007, 09:29 AM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Reminds me of an old joke.......

Fellow walks down a street and comes to a string of Pizza parlors all in a row.....

First one has a sign that reads: "Best Pizza in the City",

Next one reads: "Best Pizza in the State"

The next: "Best Pizza in the Country"

Next: "Best Pizza in the World"

Finally, he pauses and sees one last shop with a sign that reads simply: "Best Pizza on the Block!".

That about sums up today's Offshore "World Championships", except there wouldn't be that much competition.

In truth "todays" racers have to know full well how lame their "Championships" are. They see a mirror image in boxing and need look only as far as any other motorsport to see how different and weak their sport is. Even if they don't look at the myriad of pictures showing 40+ Open Class boats roaring out of Mallory Square back in the day.... deep down they know. The sad thing is, what can they do about it? Even with Haggin's seemingly limitless generosity, the sad collection of mismatched hulls, limitless enthusiasm and limited racing does not equate to a World Class sport. Throw in the current economy and fuel prices, take away the illegal, corporate and/or Foreign cash streams that used to fuel Offshore and the future looks dim indeed.

We were truly blessed to live during the "Glory Days"....... Hopefully a new dynamic will emerge to restore some of the luster. But it seems further and further away each year.

T2x
Old 10-30-2007, 10:14 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rather spirited conversation! T2x...you're making me hungry. Where is that pizza joint? - Steve
Old 10-30-2007, 10:23 AM
Registered

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

That´s right, now I remeber. It was at the HORBA homapage page I read this:

Although Don Aronow had retired from racing after winning the World Championship in 1969, there were rumors that he was planning a comeback a few years later. The spirit/benihana boat was built for him and registered under his lucky racing number 4. Don always used the number 4 or some version of it, like 16, as he thought it brought him luck. He changed his mind and sold the boat to Hal Sahlman who raced it as Spirit. The boat was then sold to Rocky Aoki who raced it as Benihana. The boat is now owned by Charlie McCarthy, HORBA Managing Director. A total restoration of the boat is planned by Charlie and his son, Charley McCarthy Jr., and will be documented on HORBA homepage
Old 10-30-2007, 01:06 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by seeroy
Rather spirited conversation! T2x...you're making me hungry. Where is that pizza joint? - Steve
Where is the best pizza???? Why NYC of course! I believe it was invented in Brooklyn actually.........along with the numbers rackets and "controlled" trash collection.

Yeah, I'll have a slice and a some policy action please.....

T2x
Old 10-30-2007, 02:57 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by T2x
Where is the best pizza???? Why NYC of course! I believe it was invented in Brooklyn actually.........along with the numbers rackets and "controlled" trash collection.

Yeah, I'll have a slice and a some policy action please.....

T2x
Pretty good thread I got going, makes us reflect back, Like you say forty boats from around the world roaring out of the harbour in Key West.
Funny thing about even those days, everyone had to qualify to run, I believe you had to have run at least three UIM races, or your national races, and you had to have finished in the top three in those races, and have permission from APBA and UIM to race the series.
At least it was something to try and sort the best qualified to be world champions, gone are the days, How about some of us opening up a pizza place in NY we can call it legendary Pizza Parlor home of the world champion pizza, I can see Brownie behind the counter happy as a lark drinking a beer and telling stories, guess I would have to be the Pizza maker, guess we have all made ice cream out of s--t, at least it could be world championship ice cream. 7XCHAMP
Old 10-31-2007, 02:37 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Black Tornado
Thanks for the story Richie.
It's strange that the 35' they didn't succeed in getting the same successes of the 36' but very less.
Perhaps the arrival of the Bertrams, Scarabs and in Europe of the CUVs they made the difficult life to the Awesome.BT
Another factor which may have contributed to prevent the 35' from emulating its predecessor the 36' Wide Body, is the emergeance of the Catamaran hulls, Cougar in particularly.
The shorter, narrower hull of the 35' as good as it was couldn't match a cat in calm waters. Then in rougher seas, bigger hulls soon to be made lighter by the use of Kevlar had the edge.

Also, to add my 2 cents to the "World Championship" debate,
although I do not wish to belittle the achievement of people who won the title awarded at a single event, there is no doubt in my mind that World Titles earned until 1976 are more representative of the meaning of the phrase.
One of the few regrets I have about John Crouse excellent book (Searace) is that he didn't highlight the races that counted toward the world title up to 1976. If you do, you have a real sense of the logistics involved to "go and beat them" as Wynne, Arronow, Wishnick, Rautbord, Gentry, Balestrieri and Bonomi did.
The system wasn't perfect with different races held on the same day or consecutive days but the sporting achievement much greater.
The real shame of it all, is that Mike Duxford who had the most wonderful season in 1977 never got the World Title that his should have deserved under the old system.

Phil.
Old 10-31-2007, 08:45 AM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by 7xchamp
Pretty good thread I got going, makes us reflect back, Like you say forty boats from around the world roaring out of the harbour in Key West.
Funny thing about even those days, everyone had to qualify to run, I believe you had to have run at least three UIM races, or your national races, and you had to have finished in the top three in those races, and have permission from APBA and UIM to race the series.
At least it was something to try and sort the best qualified to be world champions, gone are the days, How about some of us opening up a pizza place in NY we can call it legendary Pizza Parlor home of the world champion pizza, I can see Brownie behind the counter happy as a lark drinking a beer and telling stories, guess I would have to be the Pizza maker, guess we have all made ice cream out of s--t, at least it could be world championship ice cream. 7XCHAMP
I vote we call it "Overboard Pizza"............

Our motto: "If you don't like it, we throw you overboard!".

It's a shame Pruett left us....he could have been in charge of Customer Service.....
Old 10-31-2007, 09:51 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by T2x
I vote we call it "Overboard Pizza"............

Our motto: "If you don't like it, we throw you overboard!".

It's a shame Pruett left us....he could have been in charge of Customer Service.....
Or Schwebbie, rest in piece.
7XCHAMP
Old 10-31-2007, 11:40 AM
PHIL
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes- Both T3x and Richie - you are right - we all were involved with folks like Allen Brown and so many others in the best -and I mean the best years of Offshore. So many Open boats in a race- large crowds - Blue Angels - the Clydedales, etc. - That was when Racing was Racing - I remember the World Championships in Auckland NZ - so many Italian boats - 3 or more boats from here or in Europe - Richie P, you are right - who would think of 39 Italian teams alone racing in Monaco in 1990 for the World Championships - but even that has changed - Money and Sponsors were unlimited then - Specially in Europe - they had sponsors that were USA Corps., but racers HERE, could never get them, Thats another story too - maybe some one will tell us one day why that happened - I have my ideas ! Its called- you pay me 2, and I give you ONE back.

There is so much talent, knowledge- spirit of the "sport" here - that its a shame it all can't be put together and the outcome would be Offshore Racing as we knew it. Today - its people that want to buy a "image" or ego of themselves -

We were fortunate to be involved in those days - many memories- many really good people - and what fun it was -

I could not go by the bar of the Pier House, with out seeing Allen Brown and Dave Gilmore - - or seeing Billy Martin and his crew with Bob Idoni brewing up some punch in Mar Del Plata -

Oh well - wonderful memories - nice people - good friends -

PHIL
Old 10-31-2007, 07:47 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm agree with Richie and Phil(Deauville Trophy) on the history of the World Championships and the share of the US drivers and the missed Title to Doxford in 1977.
The Offshore races were always a sport for gentleman.
Only their could choose whether to throw bags of money to turn mean world and to try to win a World Title.
Someone from the Usa has done it and someone from Italy or England has done it.
But the majority of the good Us or Italian or English drivers he has preferred to be satisfied with to win in the respective national championships.
The motives? Above all were three; Any intention to spend too much. Lack of time to be devoted to a season that began in January and it ended in November (from 1971). The Offshore sport was a fun and therefore all it took is racing...the more next to house.
When also for motives for world crisis of the oil it were decided to make to dispute the World Championship in an only competition the thing it has become more a game to the roulette. And is the beginning of the end of the sport of the Offshore racing.
Today he doesn't race all over the world more the Offshore but other types of competitions that with the old Offshore they don't have anymore nothing to whether to do.
Very valid competitions however with teams and crews often highly competitive and valid. But it is not Offshore.
The sport of the Offshore is now only a legend.
Marco

Quick Reply: Daddy Cool

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.