Notices

Daddy Cool

Old 10-26-2007, 09:49 PM
Social Distortion
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Daddy Cool

Does anybody know where Daddy Cool is? Is it still for sale? I'd love to buy it and bring it back to its original graphics. I know that's what the last guy said but I think it looks sweet with the old blue sides.
Old 10-26-2007, 10:25 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

ws...

"HORBA is pleased to announce that DADDY COOL has been purchased by HORBA members, the Bochis family. John Bochis former owner and driver of Crazy Greek now has a new toy to play with.

There will be at the April gathering of old race boats in South Florida for sure.

Does anyone out there know for sure what this boat started out as?

It was the 7th 35 Cigarette built. That means it was built right after the Spirit/ Benihana 35.

Was it Bounty Hunter? or Isis?"

"Thanks for the color pic of Daddy Cool...I agree....it should be repainted to original...It would not be hard....never had a nice color pic before....I will tow her home soon and have a nice myco float on for her now..."

some quotes from an oso search...c
Attached Images  

Last edited by ChristianGott; 10-26-2007 at 10:33 PM. Reason: add stuff etc.
Old 10-28-2007, 05:12 AM
Registered

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I thought Sprit/Benihana 35 was the first 35 built, actually built for Don himself because he thought of starting racing again? What hullnumber did Martini, American Viking and American Eagle have?
Old 10-28-2007, 07:38 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by steeb
I thought Sprit/Benihana 35 was the first 35 built, actually built for Don himself because he thought of starting racing again? What hullnumber did Martini, American Viking and American Eagle have?
I think that the American Viking(then Powerboat Magazine) was the hullnumber #1,Dry Martini the #2 and the American Eagle the #3,it's right Richie?
Old 10-28-2007, 08:12 AM
Registered

Between the American Eagle and the Spirit/Benihana(hullnumber #6?) there was the Jumpin' Jack/Limit Up,the Isis or the Bounty Hunter II or the Eraf for the Italian driver Giulio De Angelis.
It's queer that the Spirit/Benihana raced in 1975 meanwhile the American Eagle,Jumpin' Jack,Isis,Bounty Hunter II and Eraf appeared only in 1976.....

By the way,anyone have an image of the Isis?

Last edited by Black Tornado; 10-28-2007 at 08:25 AM.
Old 10-29-2007, 03:23 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Black Tornado
I think that the American Viking(then Powerboat Magazine) was the hullnumber #1,Dry Martini the #2 and the American Eagle the #3,it's right Richie?
Marco: I am 99% certain that is correct. Nodskog for sure had the first 35 and hated it, he called Don and told him so. Don was not to happy about it and was very anxious for me to get the Martini 35 rigged to see what I thought.
The day I tested the boat for the first time, Don was on the dock waiting for me to come back from her first run. The Martini boat had the square 40` engine hatches custom made for me at my request to Don, every 35` after that had the same, Nordskog is the only one with the old flat 36` hatches. Anyway, back to the story!!!!!!! Don was anxiously waiting my review. I had a huge grin from ear to ear, and the first thing I said to Don was AWSOME!!!!!!!!!! Don commenced to jump around saying the boat was awsome, and he knew it would be, and basically Nordskog didn`t know how to run the boat.
He wanted to know exactly how it ran, I told him I was able to run much faster in head and following seas because the boat was not as flighty as the wide beam 36`s, the 35` ran flatter flew higher and straighter than the 36`s was like nascar vs formula one the 35` being the formula one. So I guess it`s no coincidence the first 35` narrow beam boats were called AWSOME. Also while we were all standing on the seawall admiring and talking it up a 27` Magnum came by us, Don stood back and said that`s the most beautiful boat ever built, we all agreed and talked 35` and offshore for another hour, then Don said good job kid, you got a winner and the rest is history. 7XCHAMP three of the world championships to Cigartette acclaim are from me and the teams I was with, another story, Don was always good about recognition to his teams, Throughout Europe our team dress was generally Cigarette T-shirts, pretty much full time dress except when it was race week then it was uniforms, still with Cigarette logos and always APBA and USA flags, the americans who raced in Europe were proud and showed it. When the Italians wanted the world titles they paid for the hired american top guns to work for them. 7XCHAMP
Old 10-29-2007, 06:40 PM
Registered

Thanks for the story Richie.
It's strange that the 35' they didn't succeed in getting the same successes of the 36' but very less.
Perhaps the arrival of the Bertrams, Scarabs and in Europe of the CUVs they made the difficult life to the Awesome.BT
Old 10-30-2007, 07:09 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Black Tornado
Thanks for the story Richie.
It's strange that the 35' they didn't succeed in getting the same successes of the 36' but very less.
Perhaps the arrival of the Bertrams, Scarabs and in Europe of the CUVs they made the difficult life to the Awesome.BT
Marco: I think when the americans started working for the Italians it sparked the competiion in Europe. The Italians were the first to really pursue offshore racing with a passion, I know the British were also keen on offshore but were doing it on their own.
I think it all started when Odell Lewis, Mel Riggs, Don Pruitt, etc. set the stage for the rest of us.
At first it was the 32` Bertrams, then the 36` Cigs then the Shead design boats, 35` cigs, and then the CUV`s. The 38` Bertrams were never that big in Europe, only ones I remember was Toleman and Franz. As far as the CUV`s go Davey Wilson played a major role in putting them on the map, he contributed to the design, construction and rigging, as well as superb throttling.
In the late 1970`s and 1980`s it seems everyone was getting on board, there were more total Italian teams, as well as all British etc. I think it was the end of an era for the Americans working for the Europeans, they decided they could do it on their own and did just that. I think the American contributions were seriously from 1970 to 1978 approx. then they were gone, and back to USA racing. At that same time if history is correct, it`s when the APBA under the leadership of Nordskog pulled away from the UIM and no longer ran UIM races in the USA, which changed the complextion of UIM world championships, which became a single event format, starting with Key West, then South America, Italy, Australia etc.
Nordskog thought it was unfair for the wealthy people to become world Champions by virtue of being able to field multiple boats and crews around the world, he didn`t feel it made a true world champion, and that the costs were way to much.
As the powerful force that he was he managed to change the whole picture, which I think sparked the Europeans to put more emphasis on their specific championships, like our USA championships, only problem is that it removed more the APBA from the UIM, and I think eventually created the demise of APBA as we knew it in the good old days and depleated the strength of the UIM in the eyes of the Americans. When I was racing,the UIM was the supreme command, every other faction fell under the UIM, including the APBA.
It is a shame that history went the way it did, if it had remained the same Offshore could be the same as Formula one car racing, and recognized universally through out the world, as proved when the Arabs entered the sport, it sparked offshore into another realm. I guess it`s all history now. The shame is the american racers have no clue or history regarding UIM and true world championship adventures. A true world champion should race in every country against the best each country has to offer, if he beats them in their countries, in their respective equip. then he is the best and deserved the crown and title WORLD CHAMPION. I don`t mean to take anything away from the world champions now, it`s just that they don`t know any other scenarios and have never had the opportunities we used to have. It` hard for me to accept. That`s history.
and my opinion. 7XCHAMP
Old 10-30-2007, 07:31 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In all fairness, Richie, it is a lot easier to go to Key West and race against NOBODY and be World Champ. It couldn't get much easier than that................ The only down side is that there are 650 other world champs at the same time.
Old 10-30-2007, 07:57 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by BROWNIE
In all fairness, Richie, it is a lot easier to go to Key West and race against NOBODY and be World Champ. It couldn't get much easier than that................ The only down side is that there are 650 other world champs at the same time.
Guess it gets down to world champion of what state or city, world champion of Idaho?????????? or maybe even world chapion of Milan Italy.
I think the UIM had it going for true world champions except that their were no American teams entered to make it real. Should be the best racers in the entire world race each other.
Johnnie Tomlison went over and raced with Pharone for one season, and if I`m not mistaken won the UIM championship?????????. There are plenty of americans who could afford to do the world circuit, but have to inclination because the UIM has no value to them, they can stay in the USA and if they are good can win two or three world championships in a single season, gets down to numbers I guess. Funny thing is that America apart from the UIM is the only country who has multiple world champions for the season. In Europe there is only one world champion still under UIM rule. Is it WORLD CHAMPION or CHAMPION OF THE WORLD????????????????????????? 7XCHAMP

Quick Reply: Daddy Cool

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.