Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Classic Offshore
Cigarette 35 Raceboats >

Cigarette 35 Raceboats

Notices

Cigarette 35 Raceboats

Old 12-16-2007, 09:31 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know slingshot was actually a "Dean special". Aparantley they flop molded a cigarette and extended it to 40'. So I doubt that slingshot was ever American eagle. I will ask some of the lads here about it.
Old 12-17-2007, 08:05 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Black Tornado
About the 35' Slingshot it's possible was the former 35' American Eagle that Gentry brought in Australia as 7xchamp said in a post above.
The strange thing is that Richie has said that that 35' it was the former Mighty Mouse but while the 35' American Eagle raced in Australia there was a 35' Mighty Mouse that raced in Usa.....
The Whippy's Eagle was a 36' ex American Eagle of the 1973. An error of writing for a race on Searace.
I know only a Mr.Terrible Scarab 38' former Ippolito's Outrageous/Michelob Light. I think it was that you spoke.
Champagne Mumm of Robert Cook,former Bloodhound,probably was the former Doxford's 35' Peter Stuyvesant/Limit Up.
Marco: Is raced in Australia twice with Gentry two different years. One year was with the 35` Cigarette, Conspiracy/Mighty Mouse. Second year was with one of Tom`s custom boats made in conjunction with Rudy Ramos??? and I think Hallet, I didn`t have anything to do with the project. The boat was 36` long and had a big flat on the keel, the boat would not run with the flat so they fabricated a piece of aluminum into a vee and bolted it into place, that`s the boat I won the Mercury Trophy race with in either 1978 or 80 I think maybe 1978. We delaminated the boat in that race and immediatly sold the boat to John Haines of Haines Hunter boats in Australia, he repaired it and ran it in a few races, then I think popped it.
Outrageous was always Mich. light. Mr. Terrible was a new all red Scarab built from scratch.
Have a great holiday, your good friend 7XCHAMP
Old 12-17-2007, 08:12 AM
Registered

Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts

Marco I think Robert Cook's Champagne Mumm was basically a standard 35 mistress - not a true race boat so I am pretty sure it was not the old Doxford hull!
Old 12-17-2007, 03:17 PM
Registered

And I think Herbsts still have "Mr. Terrible" Scarab, even though they didn't run it in the ski race this year due to the testing accident.
Attached Thumbnails Cigarette 35 Raceboats-photo008.jpg  

Last edited by Dude! Sweet!; 12-17-2007 at 03:26 PM.
Old 12-17-2007, 03:28 PM
Registered

And not to divert this into a Scarab thread, but here's a bit more of the "old iron" that runs the Ski Race...
Attached Thumbnails Cigarette 35 Raceboats-1780catalina_ski_race_2006_055.jpg  
Old 12-17-2007, 04:17 PM
Registered

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

A little update

Hull # 1 American Viking became Powerboat Magazine Special - Today?

Hull # 2 Dry Martini - Today owned by Kurt Berger and restored

Hull # 3 Amercan Eagle became Anheuser Busch Natural Light later Ajac Hawk then later Panama Hawk and still owned by the same people

Hull # 6 Spirit became Benihana - Today owned by Charlie McCarthy and is being restored

Hull # 7 Spirit of Panama became Daddy Cool - Today all white and owned by John Bochis

Hull # ? Jumpin' Jack became Limit Up later Peter Stuyvesant - Today?

Hull # ? Bounty Hunter became Bounty Hunter II became Satisfaction later Lil' Satisfaction - Today?

Hull # ? Conspiracy became Mighty Mouse later American Eagle (nr 2) now ”Catalina ski race boat” – Today owned by Dunsmoore Custom Marine

Hull # ? Bittersweet became Burn Baby Burn – Today owned by Dean ”something” and is being restored

Hull # ? Wild Turkey – Still owned by Frank Lach

Hull # ? Impossible Dream
Hull # ? Slingshot (According to Searace Peter Dean had both a 35 and a 40)
Hull # ? Isis
Hull # ? Eraf
Hull # ? Fast Company
Hull # ? White Heat
Hull # ? Banshee
Hull # ? Champagne Mumm - either a standard 35 mistress or the old Peter Stuyvesant
Old 12-18-2007, 02:36 AM
Registered

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

35´s for the M class or 35´ sport versions are they basically a 35´ Mistress? If you look att this Wild Turkey you can see the different hatch setup and the space between the Bolster and the hatch.

In that case the wild Turkey and the White Heat should be redefined and the Champagne Mumm also if we can get that info confirmed. Anybody got a picture of Champagne Mumm?
Attached Thumbnails Cigarette 35 Raceboats-wildturkey_1979.jpg   Cigarette 35 Raceboats-31-7-79_wildturkey_2.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
Smarty (06-05-2021)
Old 12-18-2007, 08:41 AM
Registered

Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts

In the entry list for the 1986 Guernsey Powerboat Week Champagne Mumm is listed as a 35' Cigarette with the No. 77 and powered by twin Jaguar turbo motors - I need to put out a request over on Boatmad to confirm if Robert Cook ever did in fact own the old Doxford hull. My only recollection is that Robert Cook owned a 35' Mistress with twin low powered mercruisers (i.e. not out and out racing motors), albeit with the No. 77. Watch this space.
Old 12-18-2007, 05:56 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by littlenige
Marco I think Robert Cook's Champagne Mumm was basically a standard 35 mistress - not a true race boat so I am pretty sure it was not the old Doxford hull!
Nigel,I have never seen an image of the Champagne Mumm or the Bloodhound that I suppose was the same boat, therefore I have gone for logic...being wrong.
Certainly that that number 77 leave perplexed...
Old 12-18-2007, 06:41 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Outrageous was always Mich. light. Mr. Terrible was a new all red Scarab built from scratch.
Have a great holiday, your good friend 7XCHAMP[/QUOTE]

Richie excuses but I must insist on the fact that the Mr Terrible wasn't a new boat but the first Scarab 38' Michelob Light that drove Ippolito.
This for a simple fact; That Scarab was the only one among all the Scarab 38' from competition to have the rise of the deck in front of the cockpit with the two edges beveled by a transversal cut.
This made part of the stamp of the deck and not a change subsequently done.
That same particularity also had him the Mr Terrible of Herbst.
Attached Thumbnails Cigarette 35 Raceboats-micheloblightia.bmp  
Attached Images   

Quick Reply: Cigarette 35 Raceboats

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.