Key West Boat Races 92-93

Notices

Key West Boat Races 92-93

Old 12-07-2007, 01:23 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Key West Boat Races 92-93

Anyone have information about these races?
Old 12-07-2007, 01:41 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If rum-soaked memory serves me, the Worlds were in Fort Myers those years??
Old 12-07-2007, 03:08 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Quiet Storm
Anyone have information about these races?
I have very good info for 1992 & 1993 I won both years in Super boat class and overall. I was throttleman for Apache Heritage, a 47` Apache with triple 1000`s It was the first canopied V-Bottom, we cut the freeboard way down on her, everyone from the side thought it was a cat, also because the number was 50, they thought it was a new 50` model, Bottom line is we spanked them all, and in those days we had plenty of competion. In 1993 two weeks after we won in Key West and defended our world title, Wellcraft asked the driver, Omar Danial if he and I would race their triple engine Scarab in Ft. Meyers for the APBA world championship, We had already qualified the boat by running three races and won two, the other Miami was cancelled due to weather conditions. Yes we did win the superboat class in Ft. Meyers and became APBA world champions in 1993, we beat Reggie, INXS etc. The races were held on thanksgiving day, we ate turkey at the Ft Meyers Yacht club. Needless to say it was a jammed pack couple of weeks. 7XCHAMP
Old 12-07-2007, 03:35 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I thought Apache Heritage was a 45. Cut down from a 47.

Do you remember if Kid Apache ran in those races?
Old 12-10-2007, 10:15 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Quiet Storm
I thought Apache Heritage was a 45. Cut down from a 47.

Do you remember if Kid Apache ran in those races?
Apache Heritage was a 47` to begin with, by the time we cut the freeboard down she probably measured 45 to 46` transom to bow. Kid Apache, Allen Feingold, I am pretty sure ran those races as well. Our big threat at the time was the brand new Tweet Revenge another 47` Apache standard model. No body really knew what we were doing until we showed up at the races in Key West, also was our first ride together in the Ocean under racing conditions, and rough water, back then we used to race outside in the ocean, in rough water, seas averaged 4` to 6` with the surprise 8` when we turned sand key light we were head on into the seas, with the wind blowing white caps on top, we could and did run 100+ mph. laps for the whole race, we only varied 1 or 2 miles per hour per lap for entire race.
Kid Apache at 45` was totally different from Heritage in that when she was built she was blocked at the transom to shorten running surface, that boat never did run as good as the original 47`s. Couple tricks we had on Heritage which no one else had was we put a 12 x 20 pad on the keel, as well as notched transom, it allowed us to run the drives much higher than usual, if you see video`s of Heritage running she had much larger rooster tail than the other boats in her class.
Top speed we saw was 118mph if we lied it was 122. She was set up only for rough water and Key West conditions.
Ted Sabereese had an opportunity to buy a sister boat to Heritage, in 1992 but elected to go with canopied Fountain. In 1992 he ran his 47` Apache INXS. In 1993 he ran the canopied Fountain 47`. We beat him both years. All for now.
7XCHAMP
Old 12-10-2007, 03:02 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

They sound like great races. I would like to see the videos from those years. Thanks for the information.
Old 12-10-2007, 03:36 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 7xchamp
Apache Heritage was a 47` to begin with, by the time we cut the freeboard down she probably measured 45 to 46` transom to bow. Kid Apache, Allen Feingold, I am pretty sure ran those races as well. Our big threat at the time was the brand new Tweet Revenge another 47` Apache standard model. No body really knew what we were doing until we showed up at the races in Key West, also was our first ride together in the Ocean under racing conditions, and rough water, back then we used to race outside in the ocean, in rough water, seas averaged 4` to 6` with the surprise 8` when we turned sand key light we were head on into the seas, with the wind blowing white caps on top, we could and did run 100+ mph. laps for the whole race, we only varied 1 or 2 miles per hour per lap for entire race.
Kid Apache at 45` was totally different from Heritage in that when she was built she was blocked at the transom to shorten running surface, that boat never did run as good as the original 47`s. Couple tricks we had on Heritage which no one else had was we put a 12 x 20 pad on the keel, as well as notched transom, it allowed us to run the drives much higher than usual, if you see video`s of Heritage running she had much larger rooster tail than the other boats in her class.
Top speed we saw was 118mph if we lied it was 122. She was set up only for rough water and Key West conditions.
Ted Sabereese had an opportunity to buy a sister boat to Heritage, in 1992 but elected to go with canopied Fountain. In 1992 he ran his 47` Apache INXS. In 1993 he ran the canopied Fountain 47`. We beat him both years. All for now.
7XCHAMP
Richie, love those stories......Btw getting close with my Motion, so keep your phone on so we can go out and you can show me how its done......

Andy,
Old 12-11-2007, 01:18 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by lowblue320
Richie, love those stories......Btw getting close with my Motion, so keep your phone on so we can go out and you can show me how its done......

Andy,
Andy, Hope all is well. If you know of anyone interested in the Yellow 35 with the Merc. 850`s and number 6 dry sumps, let me know, as we are building a new 39` custom cut down model for owner, it`s going to be the CHEETAH XRT model, windshield like the MTI 44, power will be Merc. 1075`s should be cool and bad at the same time. Just finishing the new Scarface 43` also getting new Merc 1075`s see you soon. 7XCHAMP
Old 12-11-2007, 02:08 PM
Registered

Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts

Probably the most awesome powerhouse I ever saw........man that thing could run hard in the rough stuff.
Attached Thumbnails Key West Boat Races 92-93-my-photos-898.jpg  
Old 07-30-2012, 08:02 AM
Registered

Does anyone have a picture of Allen Feingold 41 Apache cat?