Peter Dean's Slingshot Cigarette now >

Peter Dean's Slingshot Cigarette now

Notices

Peter Dean's Slingshot Cigarette now

Old 12-19-2007, 04:34 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by littlenige
Guessing here but this to me looks to be the hull that Richie talks of - stretched to 44'. ?
You are right,this was the famous Dean's Special 44',whose mould was drawn by that of the Cigarettes.35'-39.'
Old 12-19-2007, 07:51 AM
Registered

For his campaign for the 1980 World Championships in Melbourne Dean built a Dean Special. He constructed a 46' pattern for the boat,then spiderised it and gave it a dropped nose to bring it down to 44'. The boat runs twin modified 482 MerCruisers.
Then any ex 35' or 40' modified and lengthened to 44' but clearly on 35' sketch Dean has drawn the project for his original 44.'

Here I post some images of the Slingshot 44' where we can see the big dimensions(at that time),lenght and beam,in the first two pics and another shot from front shooted in the bay of Melbourne during the race for the 1980's World Championships.
Attached Thumbnails Peter Dean's Slingshot Cigarette now-slingshot1980.jpg   Peter Dean's Slingshot Cigarette now-slingshotmelbourne80a.jpg   Peter Dean's Slingshot Cigarette now-slingshotmelbourne80.jpg  

Old 12-19-2007, 11:50 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

[QUOTE=Black Tornado;2376999]For his campaign for the 1980 World Championships in Melbourne Dean built a Dean Special. He constructed a 46' pattern for the boat,then spiderised it and gave it a dropped nose to bring it down to 44'. The boat runs twin modified 482 MerCruisers.
Then any ex 35' or 40' modified and lengthened to 44' but clearly on 35' sketch Dean has drawn the project for his original 44.'

Here I post some images of the Slingshot 44' where we can see the big dimensions(at that time),lenght and beam,in the first two pics and another shot from front shooted in the bay of Melbourne during the race for the 1980's World Championships.[/QUOT

I was in Australia with Joey Ipp. I don`t really remember the stretch boat but it is evident it was there, I also know Tony Lowe from racing down under, and he did build Cigs. there, Seems I do remember the 44` narrow beam. Makes me question which boat it was that broke in half in Melbourne, it was an Aussie built Cig. that much I am certain and was advertised as a 44`, I`ll look at the old pix. when I get a chance. 7XCHAMP
Old 12-19-2007, 04:42 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That boat looks awesome!.
Old 12-19-2007, 05:10 PM
Registered

[QUOTE=7xchamp;2377263]
Originally Posted by Black Tornado
For his campaign for the 1980 World Championships in Melbourne Dean built a Dean Special. He constructed a 46' pattern for the boat,then spiderised it and gave it a dropped nose to bring it down to 44'. The boat runs twin modified 482 MerCruisers.

Here I post some images of the Slingshot 44' where we can see the big dimensions(at that time),lenght and beam,in the first two pics and another shot from front shooted in the bay of Melbourne during the race for the 1980's World Championships.[/QUOT

I was in Australia with Joey Ipp. I don`t really remember the stretch boat but it is evident it was there, I also know Tony Lowe from racing down under, and he did build Cigs. there, Seems I do remember the 44` narrow beam. Makes me question which boat it was that broke in half in Melbourne, it was an Aussie built Cig. that much I am certain and was advertised as a 44`, I`ll look at the old pix. when I get a chance. 7XCHAMP
In 1978(according to Searace) the Aussie Barry McMillan loaned from Brian Stevens the former Dean's 39'(40'?) Slingshot for one race against Tom Gentry in Australia. The nose of the boat broke off in rough water and it went to the bottom.
That 39' was the boat that Dean drove in the first final race for World Championships in Key West in 1977 and was a 40' light customized simply.
After that final Dean abandoned that boat for a 35'.

Last edited by Black Tornado; 12-20-2007 at 04:51 AM.
Old 12-30-2007, 07:06 PM
Registered

The boat is a 35 uilt by Tony Low in Melbourne. the hull is a 35 but the deck was custom made by Tonys business which is why the screen position is different from standard. Tony still has the molds for this boat, and if tempted may even pop out a hull for someone
Old 04-20-2008, 08:59 AM
Registered

Just wanted to update this thread. I met the guy today at the marina who owns this boat. It is the original 35 Slingshot. When He got it it had a 3 man bolster seat in it and had blower hatches, engines etc removed was apparently in a shocking condition. He had the cockpit and deck completely altered/rebuilt. Spent almost $300k australian on rebuilding this boat for a family pleasure cruiser. It has twin 496ho mags in it. It has come up beautiful. I will post some pics next time I see him.

Slingshot now sits right next to my top gun .
Old 05-11-2008, 03:41 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

The photo shows the 35 Cig Slingshot that was raced in Australia and the Force 3500 cruiser that was splashed from it.
Attached Thumbnails Peter Dean's Slingshot Cigarette now-slingshot-35cig-oo.jpg   Peter Dean's Slingshot Cigarette now-force3500-oo.jpg  
Old 05-11-2008, 05:41 AM
Registered

Hi Jim, Why don't you race that cig of yours!!!!! I need some big monohulls to race against
Old 05-11-2008, 07:41 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by priceb
Hi Jim, Why don't you race that cig of yours!!!!! I need some big monohulls to race against
At the moment it only has one engine, no steering and no gauges.

At the rate I have been rebuilding it should be ready by 2042, so if petrol still exists, I will race you...

Simon sent me the photos I attached .... thanks for getting me in touch with him.

Quick Reply: Peter Dean's Slingshot Cigarette now

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.