Notices

Apache Cats

Old 12-18-2007, 09:13 AM
Registered

Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Apache Cats

As there is an ongoing thread about how many Cig 35's there were produced - could we also confirm how many Apache cats were produced??

To start:-
Are these all the same hull?
Attached Thumbnails Apache Cats-half-canopy.jpg   Apache Cats-team-apache.jpg   Apache Cats-wildcat.jpg  

Old 12-18-2007, 09:16 AM
Registered

Looking at the hull/deck shape did the US1 hull become Wildcat?
Also did the Team Apache Kramer hull become the Walter Regazzi Loro Piana?
Attached Thumbnails Apache Cats-my-photos-3004.jpg   Apache Cats-loro-piana-regazzi.jpg  
Old 12-18-2007, 09:20 AM
Registered

And where do the Fassa/Samsonite hulls fit in? (presumably the same hull).
Attached Thumbnails Apache Cats-fassa-_1991_.jpg   Apache Cats-samsonite-apache-cat.jpg  
Old 12-18-2007, 09:27 AM
Racer
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

I am pretty sure that the red and white boat was a wood composite boat....

Also the were the Canada Homes and the Labatt's boat as well. The later is now raced here in the states as Warpaint.
Old 12-18-2007, 09:34 AM
Registered

Ryan - well remembered!
Attached Thumbnails Apache Cats-my-photos-1022.jpg   Apache Cats-tail.jpg  

Last edited by littlenige; 12-18-2007 at 09:45 AM.
Old 12-18-2007, 12:12 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

The original Apache Cat (96) was an all wood boat built by OPC tunnel boat builder, John McCall, from a Mike Peters design (with heavy McCall influence). That boat became Loro Piano. I believe it was bigger than the later fiberglass versions. The later boats were all fiberglass. I think US1 became Wildcat. Canada Homes was another hull, and I have no idea if Fassa Samsonite was bought new or was either Wildcat or US1 prior to being shipped overseas.

T2x
Old 12-18-2007, 02:32 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by littlenige
And where do the Fassa/Samsonite hulls fit in? (presumably the same hull).
As I was somewhat involved with the first glass Apache cat, I will give my input. Canada Homes owned by Lorne Liebel and throttled by Bobby Idoni. This to my knwledge was the first glass/kevlar Apache cat, I`m not sure where or what wildcat was???? wood glass or what, I believe the wildcat was purchased by the japanese and either Idoni or Smitty ran it there. As for Canada homes the boat was rigged by Bobby Moore, imediatley after it was rigged Idoni brought the boat to my shop ( Champion Marine ) to have some final tricks done to it, and some special Richie touches, I could write a book about. Anyway the boats first race was Marathon in the Keys, I went down to watch as I was with out a ride, I think it was 1981 or 2. Bobby and I tested the boat togeteher. Next thing I know I am being asked by crew chief Tommy if I would be available to run in the boat, as Lornes father had fallen ill and Lorne may not be able to make the race, which was the boats very first race, I said yes but I would throttle and Bobby would drive. Lorne did not make it so Bobby and I ran the race. Jesse James was back for the first time since their accident with the brother driving, Lanier and Kaiser were there in the systems boat along with Budweiser etc. lots of boats in the class. From the start it was Kaiser and us at 110mph plus with Kaiser just in front, we were running next to Jesse James when they flipped over, we slowed to a stop and were ready to jump in for them when we got thumbs up from both, Bobby and I looked at each other, like what do we do go or go back, we went for it, caught Kaiser on the last lap and drag raced full out to the finish, they beat us by approx. 5 seconds for the win. We were awarded the sportsmanship trophy etc. it was a great race, and we almost got it.
I`m not sure where that boat ended up, eventually it became LaBatts with Idoni and Liebel. The last Apache you see in the pictures with the full cabin was new and built by Jack Stuteville, supposed to be super light, Jack ran with Lorne in a few races, but never performed very well, I think the boat sat for awhile then Lorne went racing again, I think he ran all different classes with her, and I see she is still running. So there is three of the boats that I know of. 7XCHAMP
Old 12-18-2007, 02:50 PM
Racer
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Richie, this would have been 1987 or 1988.........
Old 12-18-2007, 04:18 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by 7xchamp
As I was somewhat involved with the first glass Apache cat, I will give my input. Canada Homes owned by Lorne Liebel and throttled by Bobby Idoni. This to my knwledge was the first glass/kevlar Apache cat, I`m not sure where or what wildcat was???? wood glass or what, I believe the wildcat was purchased by the japanese and either Idoni or Smitty ran it there. As for Canada homes the boat was rigged by Bobby Moore, imediatley after it was rigged Idoni brought the boat to my shop ( Champion Marine ) to have some final tricks done to it, and some special Richie touches, I could write a book about. Anyway the boats first race was Marathon in the Keys, I went down to watch as I was with out a ride, I think it was 1981 or 2. Bobby and I tested the boat togeteher. Next thing I know I am being asked by crew chief Tommy if I would be available to run in the boat, as Lornes father had fallen ill and Lorne may not be able to make the race, which was the boats very first race, I said yes but I would throttle and Bobby would drive. Lorne did not make it so Bobby and I ran the race. Jesse James was back for the first time since their accident with the brother driving, Lanier and Kaiser were there in the systems boat along with Budweiser etc. lots of boats in the class. From the start it was Kaiser and us at 110mph plus with Kaiser just in front, we were running next to Jesse James when they flipped over, we slowed to a stop and were ready to jump in for them when we got thumbs up from both, Bobby and I looked at each other, like what do we do go or go back, we went for it, caught Kaiser on the last lap and drag raced full out to the finish, they beat us by approx. 5 seconds for the win. We were awarded the sportsmanship trophy etc. it was a great race, and we almost got it.
I`m not sure where that boat ended up, eventually it became LaBatts with Idoni and Liebel. The last Apache you see in the pictures with the full cabin was new and built by Jack Stuteville, supposed to be super light, Jack ran with Lorne in a few races, but never performed very well, I think the boat sat for awhile then Lorne went racing again, I think he ran all different classes with her, and I see she is still running. So there is three of the boats that I know of. 7XCHAMP
Richie:

The JJ flip was in 1987 in Marathon. I have it on one of our videos and I had the dubious pleasure of flying over it when the accident happened.
Wildcat was an all fibreglass Apache cat.

The only wooden one was the first hull.

T2x
Old 12-18-2007, 05:45 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Fassa/Samsonite of Dall'Oglio was the former Canadas Home Challenge of Lorne Liebel-Bob Idoni.

Quick Reply: Apache Cats

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.