chris craft 26 stinger >

chris craft 26 stinger

Notices

chris craft 26 stinger

Old 01-07-2008, 10:28 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stinger 26

yes i am from hollywood fl./this boat has been in the family since 1989 so i went and did the hole thing over,pretty much the same you did with yours,i just like the way the boat rides in the rough waters,
this boat has been to the bahamas at least 8 times and it rides like a pillow,the only thing is that i was a little dissapointed with the performance of the new engines,i had one of the best people work my motors with cams and head work complete about $8,000 for engine work and only pick up 2 or 3 mph/i was told that i am not reving the engines on the power band i should be reving 5500 rpm not 4400rpm ,he also mention to me not to be affraid to overrev the engines that is safe. Do i need to step down to a 19p prop?
what do you think
Old 01-07-2008, 10:31 PM
Registered

the boat is at the fiberglass guy now,i am getting the side cabin windows close in to make it look more sporty and then i have to get the guy that airbrush the boat and blend in the colors back in the sides
Old 01-07-2008, 10:37 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 259 Likes on 92 Posts

I had an 85 and it was a great boat, best bang for the buck really. I went through everything on mine. Paint, cockpit, power an a bunch of other misc stuff. That boat was tons of fun and wasnt to bad in snotty Lake Erie water either. Lots of room for a 26 footer to. Best i ever saw was 60 with twin small blocks warmed up to maybe 300 a side (over proped but i liked the cruise i got out of them) i could regularly get around that yellow 28 Mag in the pic bellow . With the Alphas you dont want to get to nuts but i'm sure they could have taken a bit more HP(not much though), I kept this thing pretty turn key for the most part. When it came time to move up it was hard to get anyone to look at it in the 13-15K range (forget about 20's) bottom line is thats all they will ever be worth, an honestly i was fine with that because of how much use i actually got out of it. I ended up trading it in towards a 34' Scarab III. I mis the Scorpion, it really was one of the best, funnest boats i ever had. I dont regret going through that boat one bit

heres a link http://stupidfastboats.com/dave.htm

moved my post in here from the other thread
Attached Thumbnails chris craft 26 stinger-scorp.jpg   chris craft 26 stinger-scorp%2520pics%2520055.jpg   chris craft 26 stinger-myboat2.jpg  

08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 01-07-2008, 10:37 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 364 Likes on 243 Posts

my engines reved 5200 according to my engine builder when he redid them. I was spinning mirage 21 with 1.5 drive. you could try 19, but I'm surprised it spins just 4400...
Old 01-07-2008, 10:46 PM
Registered

i will try to send pictures of the cabin are/i am not so good with the computer
Attached Thumbnails chris craft 26 stinger-stinger006.jpg   chris craft 26 stinger-coach-shoes015.jpg  
Old 01-07-2008, 10:53 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Eddito
yes i am from hollywood fl./this boat has been in the family since 1989 so i went and did the hole thing over,pretty much the same you did with yours,i just like the way the boat rides in the rough waters,
this boat has been to the bahamas at least 8 times and it rides like a pillow,the only thing is that i was a little dissapointed with the performance of the new engines,i had one of the best people work my motors with cams and head work complete about $8,000 for engine work and only pick up 2 or 3 mph/i was told that i am not reving the engines on the power band i should be reving 5500 rpm not 4400rpm ,he also mention to me not to be affraid to overrev the engines that is safe. Do i need to step down to a 19p prop?
what do you think
something dosent sound right. what pitch prop are you running now and what kind of prop is it. On my boat i ran a pair or Merc Mirages which are basically an entry level stainless prop. Not a great performance prop but i liked the cruise i got out of them. mine were 23" three blade. I got 50mph at 4000rpm all day long and i could only leg it to about 4900rpm and that would get me to 60 on its best day but i was over proped a bit. On a good set of small blocks you should be able to spin it 5 to 5400 or so depending on how they are built. Tell ya something else the only way it would hit 60 was porpoising like crazy, thats just the way that hull is. The last year i had it i put 2500 miles on it on GPS (no chit)

you are right about the ride of these boats. that always impressed me about mine. Tabs down it sucked ruff water like crazy. They really dont get the credit they deserve but most of that came from the build quality issues that plagued the company (most of that was in the larger stingers)

Last edited by glassdave; 01-07-2008 at 10:56 PM.
Old 01-07-2008, 11:04 PM
Registered

hey jeff what is your top speed
Old 01-07-2008, 11:09 PM
Registered

hey glassdave so no matter what top speed is never going to be over 60 mph because the hull desing? well i love my boat
what do you think i should do at this point.
Old 01-07-2008, 11:42 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

I wouldnt say that but it does definetly hit a wall at 60ish and with the factory setup it always porpoised like crazy (mostly in flat water though). need info though you have only mentioned rpm.

what is your speed and what rpm is it at?
what prop are you running?
what pitch?
is you boat an Merc Alpha or OMC Cobra boat?
what has been done to engines beyond stock?

These hulls really lend themselves to performance cruising rather than high speed stuff. There was a guy on here several years ago had a very nice Stinger that he converted to big blocks/Bravos and i think he was just hitting 70 or so. I honestly think 65 isnt unreasonable to see with small blocks. The Alphas have a lower profile so they will tend to be a bit faster than the Bravos but they can only handle in the 400hp range and you have to be good on the throttles. I think you are in the ball park and it will take some tuning. You may need to look into swaping your exhaust for something that flows more, mods you builder did may be knocked down a bit by lack of breathing.

When my engines were freshened up and i went with a Comp Cams XTreme marine cams and Offy 360's manifolds along with upgrading the ignition and coils. used the stock Q jet carbs and it all worked pretty well. I really cant say enough about the 260 i loved the one i had. one of the funest boats i ever had.

Last edited by glassdave; 01-08-2008 at 12:01 AM.
Old 01-08-2008, 08:41 AM
Registered

Default 26 stinger

hey Dave,i have 21p props quick silver stainless steel with alpha ones my goes 56mph running at wide ope throttles at 4500 rpm, the engines were taking out of the boat 3 month ago and rebuilt with new pistons,the cams that we put in the engines are roller cams and i was told by the mechanic that those cams like rpm as well, the heads were ported and they were put on a flow bench and they flow very well,i cant recall the numbers of the top of my head. before installing the engines back on the boat we had them dyno and they dyno at 365 hp each motor,thats why i was a little disapointed on the results/ i think that the props are wrong because is hard to believe that after doind all that work to the engines and increasing 210 total hp that my boat still runs the same/ i did notice alot more torque and is really quick/i really think that this motors are not turning enough rpm,thats my personal opinion , what do you think?
Attached Thumbnails chris craft 26 stinger-coach-shoes015.jpg  

Quick Reply: chris craft 26 stinger

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.