Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Classic Offshore
chris craft 26 stinger >

chris craft 26 stinger

Notices

chris craft 26 stinger

Old 01-08-2008, 08:51 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey dave that picture of the stinger is yours?do you still have the boat?and if you dont have it no more what boat do you own now?
my brother has a 2004 27 ft concept center console with twins merc 250 out board and he is running 51 mph/is a nice boat but rides nothing like my stinger. we have a war going on on who is going to be the fastest and he is spending all this crazy money to kick my ass but i think that is not going to happen
Old 01-08-2008, 09:16 AM
Registered

I Was Under The Impression That There Is Not That Many Stingers Out There
Old 01-08-2008, 10:17 AM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

Yes that was my baby, I really really liked that boat. anyone that knows me knows how much i preach about that thing. It really never was a great performer but i always had a blast on it. Funny story (and true) Phil Lipshutz brought up the 46 Maximus Cig to our poker run a few years ago and Lake Erie was its usual ugliness. Kick'in steep, close, 5 or 6's. By about the 3rd stop Maximus was on its trailer and i made the entire run in a boat that was probably worth less than the fuel they burned that day . I may not have been the first to finish . . . . . . but i finished

regretfully traded the boat in on a 34' ScarabIII (ok i dont regret it THAT much )and i also have a 38 Donzi ZX along with a 24 foot Thompson fishing boat, a 16 foot sidewinder and a Batboat (boating is my life, grew up on the water ).

I hate to say this but i think you may not have the right cams in your boat. If your builder told you those engines like to make power in the higher rpm range he may not have made a good choice for a marine application, atleast yours anyway . Do you have the dyno sheets and were they dynoed with the intakes and carbs pictured above? Torque needs to come on fairly low and flat and the peaks between HP and torque need to have some separation between them.
You should be able to spin at least a 23 no problem. if you have to drop all the way down to a 19 just to get to the peak rpm it wont do you much good because you are than only spinning a 19. besides rpm's like that will kill an Aplha upper pretty quickly. How much experience did your builder have with marine engines? Sorry so many questions and also not trying to degrade the qualifications of your builder but something doesn't add up. See if you can find out what cam is in it. That will help tremendously in figuring this out. Personally i would like to have all the HP peak at about 5000rpm and TQ start to peak in the mid/high 3000rpm range for this type of boat and setup. you need the TQ to come on low to pull you up into the HP.

(disclaimer to the diehard Cig fans- the story above was not to insinuate that the Maximus Cig is an inferior boat in any way but only a humorous anecdote pertaining to the topic at hand. I am quite certain it was merely a simple glitch and Maximus pulled from the run so as not to risk further damage. Yes, it is truly truly an amazing boat )
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )

Last edited by glassdave; 01-08-2008 at 10:26 AM.
Old 01-08-2008, 11:38 AM
Registered

thanks dave for the info. i will have to pull all the paper work from the machine shop and get you all the specs
Old 01-08-2008, 11:48 AM
Registered

Silly question, but is your speed via GPS? Also, are you sure that your tachs are right?

If the answer to both questions is yes, then I agree with Dave that something isn't right with the build, probably your cams would be the best place to start. I run 23 Mirage plus props and I have no problem winding up to 4600 with bone stock motors, and I'm sure they'd go farther if I was willing to push them. Okay-HAD no problem right up until the drive couplers went
Old 01-08-2008, 12:10 PM
Registered

CCstinger260 i rig the boat with new gauges so i would have to guess that the tac is correct /maybe not and the gps i use is in my black berry cell phone that i have checked against my truck and is pretty accurate/ i think the best thing is to get my mechanic involve and have him go thruogh all the details, but stepping down to a 19 p prop sounds crazy,dont you think?
ccstinger what kind of boat you got?
Old 01-08-2008, 12:42 PM
Registered

'83 Stinger 260
Old 01-08-2008, 01:50 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

yes stepping down to a 19 is nuts, dont let anyone tell you otherwise. you should be able to spin a 23 no prob. find out what your builder has to say and we'll figure it out after that.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 01-08-2008, 02:36 PM
Registered

I agree with Dave. I had an 87 stinger for a few summers. Twin sbcs not as fresh as dave's.
I think you may have a cam issue, but I was not able to spin much above 4300 and I attributed it to OMC cobra drives, because all else with my sbcs was consistant with other sbcs I have owned. Was using 14.5x 23p.

Another small factor that made Dave's a few mph faster than mine was that he was counter rotating his alphas, while both of my Cobras were right hand.

What a great ride. I miss that boat for the comfy ride.
Old 01-08-2008, 08:34 PM
Registered

if some here can give me an advise, in my 26 stinger my swim platform sits on top of the exhaust tips making the noise very deep at nid rpm, it seems to me that the way it was built it creates a air pocket making the noise to close to the rear of the boat, i was thinking in removing the platform to see if the boats gets a little quieter/ i like the noise but not too much/ i like to listen to my music as well when iam in the no wake zone or shoul i try anything else??????

Quick Reply: chris craft 26 stinger

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.