Notices

C-5 Finish Line

Old 09-12-2008, 08:59 AM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by BUGSY
I Beleive The Boat Originally Was Called "American Spirit" Red Chris Cat Owner Bob Molinari, Own's Hilltop Nissan, Hanover N.j.

I've Got Pictures From " Freeze Frame " Helicopter Shots.
Boat Was Painted From "Brush Stuff By Pooch" The Guy Who Also Painted Jesse James For The Lavins. RIGGED AT KURT'S
If it's a red Chris Cat, it's probably my old boat. If it is, it began life as Smokey and the Bandit P-31. If it is in fact that boat, I would love to see some pix.
Old 09-12-2008, 09:34 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think it's the old "Smokey and the Bandit" boat. Your old boat was a small-block boat, I believe. The boat we are talking about was powered by big blocks coupled to Speedy III's. She could run in the 115-120 MPH range back in 1987! She was all red gel coat.
Old 09-12-2008, 09:40 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by TGC-32
I don't think it's the old "Smokey and the Bandit" boat. Your old boat was a small-block boat, I believe. The boat we are talking about was powered by big blocks coupled to Speedy III's. She could run in the 115-120 MPH range back in 1987! She was all red gel coat.
It probably isn't the old Smokey. I just don't remember any other all red Chris Cats. But then again, it's been a long time, and my memory gets worse as I get older.
Old 09-12-2008, 09:42 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: HILLSBOROUGH, NJ OCEAN BEACH, NJ & LIDO KEY FLORIDA
Default Finish Line

The Pictures I Have Are From The Air, With Canopies And Video Camera Mounted In Front,
This Boat After It Was Rebuilt I Tried To Get It In The "Batman Movie" When It Was In The Thinking Stage.

They Looked At It, We Evan Had The Bat Logo On The Engine Hatch, With Rocket Launchers

But Prior To The Finish Line, It Was American Spirit. I Don't Know Who Had It Before Bob.
Old 09-12-2008, 10:17 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The boat we are talking about was powered by big blocks coupled to Speedy III's. She could run in the 115-120 MPH range back in 1987! She was all red gel coat.
What power was in the boat at that time, and was that before the canopies? The guys who bought the boat and ran it as Team Eriesistable in the mid 90s had 468s that dynoed at 595 and 605. I believe they had #4s spaced down 3 inches and the best they claimed on the speedo was 98. Just curious.

...and you do have a good bit of Chris Cat trivia stuff...
Old 09-12-2008, 10:26 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Not sure of the exact power, but it was BIG. I do recall the NPBA out of the Northeast (Billy Frenz's organization) had a race/kilo run in Key West in late November of 1987. I was there with one of my customers in his PLEASURE Chris-Cat with big power, speedy IV's on stand-off boxes. We went thru the kilo traps at 112 MPH, with luggage, tools, beer, etc. all filling up the cabin. "Instant Air" went thru at I believe 115 MPH, and Molinari's Chris Cat ("American Spirit" I guess it was called, I don't know why I recall it as "American Express") went thru at 118 MPH, but blew a drive and couldn't complete the second pass in the opposite direction to get the "win" in the kilo run. FAST speeds for 20 years ago!

Gotta love those old Chris-Cats!

Tom
Total Marine
Old 09-12-2008, 10:35 AM
Registered

Not sure of the exact power, but it was BIG. I do recall the NPBA out of the Northeast (Billy Frenz's organization) had a race/kilo run in Key West in late November of 1987. I was there with one of my customers in his PLEASURE Chris-Cat with big power, speedy IV's on stand-off boxes. We went thru the kilo traps at 112 MPH, with luggage, tools, beer, etc. all filling up the cabin. "Instant Air" went thru at I believe 115 MPH, and Molinari's Chris Cat ("American Spirit" I guess it was called, I don't know why I recall it as "American Express") went thru at 118 MPH, but blew a drive and couldn't complete the second pass in the opposite direction to get the "win" in the kilo run. FAST speeds for 20 years ago!

Tom
Total Marine
In hindsight, had you guys had light beer on board, who knows....maybe 115 too!
Old 09-12-2008, 10:44 AM
Registered

Tom
Total Marine
Tom,

Let me know if you figure out what that boat started out it's life as. I'm very curious.

Robert
Old 09-12-2008, 11:04 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by smokeybandit
Tom,

Let me know if you figure out what that boat started out it's life as. I'm very curious.

Robert
Not sure what boat it was at first. We were Chris-Craft dealers in the 70's and 80's, and got very involved with their high performance division. This is what got me started in offshore racing. There were about 12 Chris-Craft factory-sponsored teams when the Chris-Cat came out in 1984 (Jesse James; Thriller; ACR Spirit; Maxon, to name a few). If someone knows the year of the boat, that would help narrow it down. I am pretty certain, however, that the boat we are talking about was NOT one of the original 1984 model race boats.

Tom
Old 09-12-2008, 11:08 AM
Registered

The aluminum tag which was riveted to the transom says it was an 86.

Quick Reply: C-5 Finish Line

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.