Notices

cougar cats

Old 10-23-2008, 09:10 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by T2x
I believe that Gentry had a 46 (aluminum) a 48 (wood) and a 38 (wood).

T2x
Hi T2x: Gentry also had a 41` Aluminum cat that Brownie and I wrote about on some of the past threads. Boat never raced All the rivets were drilled out and replaced with flush type, then the boat was polished. The boat was going to run Donavan small blocks with turbo`s for open class. Motors were in the tunnel with merc outdrives. Gentry modified the boat in Calif shop, he put 14" wide flat plate where the V-on the keels were. Dick Banks and I tested the boat several times, and was the scariest rides we were ever on, the boat got so much tail lift it would push the bow into the water, and then would spin out on it`s own, we got so used to spinning out, it almost became fun, like one of those rides when you are waiting for something to happen. The 38` wood cat Gentry bought from Toleman, it was the one he and Smitty set the kilo record in on Lake Windemere, it sat in front of the Cougar factory on 188th for long time, it was on a tilt trailer. Smitty had cut a lot of weight out of the boat to make it light, it was scary. We then had the ex-arneson 48` four engine wood boat, Sammie James had the 50/48 alum four engine boat, as well as the 38` wood twin engine boat I think Tony Garcia/arneson could have been Eddie Trottas boat ??????? not sure what boat it was. Maybe info. will clear up some info. required. That makes a total of five boats for Gentry.
Old 10-23-2008, 09:39 AM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 7xchamp
Hi T2x: Gentry also had a 41` Aluminum cat that Brownie and I wrote about on some of the past threads. Boat never raced All the rivets were drilled out and replaced with flush type, then the boat was polished. The boat was going to run Donavan small blocks with turbo`s for open class. Motors were in the tunnel with merc outdrives. Gentry modified the boat in Calif shop, he put 14" wide flat plate where the V-on the keels were. Dick Banks and I tested the boat several times, and was the scariest rides we were ever on, the boat got so much tail lift it would push the bow into the water, and then would spin out on it`s own, we got so used to spinning out, it almost became fun, like one of those rides when you are waiting for something to happen. The 38` wood cat Gentry bought from Toleman, it was the one he and Smitty set the kilo record in on Lake Windemere, it sat in front of the Cougar factory on 188th for long time, it was on a tilt trailer. Smitty had cut a lot of weight out of the boat to make it light, it was scary. We then had the ex-arneson 48` four engine wood boat, Sammie James had the 50/48 alum four engine boat, as well as the 38` wood twin engine boat I think Tony Garcia/arneson could have been Eddie Trottas boat ??????? not sure what boat it was. Maybe info. will clear up some info. required. That makes a total of five boats for Gentry.
Hey Richie,

Which Gentry boat went to the bottom in Northport? As I recall, they tore a drive off and it sunk like a stone.
Old 10-23-2008, 09:52 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by smokeybandit
Hey Richie,

Which Gentry boat went to the bottom in Northport? As I recall, they tore a drive off and it sunk like a stone.
I think it was Sammie James in the Alum 50/48 but they recovered it??????? not 100% sure, those were the days of Sammie and Tom, I was out of the picture for a year or so with Tom. It could have been the 38` twin as I never saw that boat again, and know of no history where it is, Probably was that boat, I never saw it in Calif. or anyplace else.
Old 10-23-2008, 11:29 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

We stretched Toleman's 38' Aluminum cat to 46' and put in 4 Sabre Diesels on Arnesons. Ted and Smitty sank it at Land's End in the Around Britain race. Tom's 48' cat became Tom's 50' cat (stretched by Connor). Ted's lightweight 38' cat was sold to Tom. It was wrecked in the early 90's by Norman Gentry and John Connor in a race in California. The Budweiser cat had Turbo Chevy engines and was to raced by Jeff Soffer. I don't think it ever finished a race as Budweiser. I don't remember what it was next, but then again, I don't remember how many drinks I had for breakfast.........
Old 10-23-2008, 12:01 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Was the Popyes 50 foot Goetz cat designed by Cougar? What involvement did they have in it?
Old 10-23-2008, 12:25 PM
Registered

No, quite the contrary. Peter Birkett quit Cougar and struck out on his own. He did Branson's second Atlantic challenger (successful), Gentry Eagle Atlantic challenger (successful) and the Goetz cat, not so successful. It was full of innovations, and a bunch of non-hull features that were out of his control. He did lots of projects (I worked with him on a couple). He is a good friend, and is coming to stay with me in February. He has been in Turkey and China lately.
Old 10-23-2008, 12:37 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Brownie thanks for the response. Can you describe some of the non-hull features that you spoke about?
Old 10-23-2008, 01:19 PM
Registered

Bill Sirois and Mike Seay designed fixed drives, much like the ones on the big Lavin boat. I think they were adjustable in the hoist. They also switched to big Ford engines. They just never got it all together at the same time.
Old 10-23-2008, 03:19 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 7xchamp
Hi Richie,
You speak about this 41' of Gentry?

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...&postcount=573

Last edited by Black Tornado; 10-23-2008 at 03:23 PM.
Old 10-24-2008, 05:29 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cougar Update List

This is a part update list in light of recent comments.
Brownie states Budweiser had 2 x Chevys raced by Soffer,but which Budweiser? The single cockpit ex Carr Tenke Lamborghini or twin cockpit boat that became Mr.Goodwrench.
Brownie`s comment re Norm Gentry sank 38ft boat ties in with it being ex-Limit Up of 1980.Thanks for that.Now for the confusing bit.Richie states 38ft wood cat Gentry bought from Toleman and set Winderemere record in, sat in Cougar factory on 188th for a long time.
A far as I can ascertain the wood 38ft Limit Up 1980 became Peter Stuyvesant in 1981 and put a hole in it during Needles race 1981.Then Gentry bought it for 1985 (red/white paint job) and also raced it in Auckland 1986 (white paint job).then Norm Gentry sank it in 1990.
A second 38ft wood indentical to Peter Stuyvesant of 1981,was built for toleman in 1982.This set the winderemere record,and also raced in Venice in 1983 according to Marco`s records.Question is ,did this boat also go to U.S. as per Richie`s comment.
I have no further record of Gentry`s 1984 boat Michelob Light,which is another 38ft not mentioned in the posts.
So we have 2 x 38ft,1 x 46ft,1 x 48/50ft and a non raced 41ft for Gentry.
Sorry to labour the point,but this is typical of the sort of work it takes to keep a definitive history of the boats.Stiil you `T` men know all about grinding away at the job in hand to get things right.
Attached Thumbnails cougar cats-cougar-update.jpg  

Quick Reply: cougar cats

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.