Nordskog 39 Cigarette on Ebay

Notices

Nordskog 39 Cigarette on Ebay

Old 05-06-2009, 09:19 AM
Registered

Received 226 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by TheFever29
I got the boat yesterday.
Tomorrow i will do a better inspection of the boat and try to post some pics up as soon as i can. From what i saw this morning it is in fairly good shape. needs a good cleaning and a good run through on the engines but seems to be solid all aound.
The hull is Kevlar weighing at 2900lbs.
Original owner was Bob Nordskog and then it was signed away by Gerald C. Nordskog in 1995. It was recently restored by Barney Welch in Oklahoma in 2000. i will have to contact him for more info regarding the work done. Then it was purchased by cam-boat projects inc, in Largo, Florida which sold it to another person and now i bought it.
i will slowly try to track down all the info and pics of the restoration. If anyone has any info please post. thanks alot.
Congratulations.......HORBA has a lot of info on that boat and plenty of photos too. Let me know what you need and I'll dig around for you.

I raced against that boat back in the day. Norm Teague was the one who was more involved and also rode with Bob Nordskog during the races. Contact Powerboat magazine....they should have quite a collection of covers that this particular boat was featured on.

I hope you plan on running with us next February in the Miami to Key West race. Plenty of time to get the old girl ready.

Charlie McCarthy

HORBA is at www.historicraceboats.com
Attached Thumbnails Nordskog 39 Cigarette on Ebay-my%252520photos%25252020251.jpg  

Last edited by Top Banana; 05-06-2009 at 02:37 PM.
Old 05-06-2009, 02:41 PM
Registered

Received 226 Likes on 88 Posts

You may want to know why the side of a 39 footer has a "bump" up in the rub rail line as you get almost to the rear.

Don used to stretch a boat, by taking the back of the boat and adding on there. That is fine as long as the lines all match......but as you can see here, if the rub rail line was left as original, the deck would be close to being underwater as the boat sat at rest.......so they "bumped" it up to give it more freeboard.

This 39 footer is just the 35 footer stretched. Bob Nordskog always tried to get the first one from Don as he came out with new models......below is the first 35 made and as you can see it went to Bob.
Attached Thumbnails Nordskog 39 Cigarette on Ebay-spirit0014.jpg  

Last edited by Top Banana; 05-06-2009 at 02:44 PM.
Old 05-07-2009, 10:53 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gerald (Jerry) Nordskog stayed at my House a few months ago. I don't know how much he knows about the boat but I can ask him. The only people I could think of that would know the most about it would be Bob & Norm teague since they Raced it with Bob and Probably rigged it when new.
fastdonzi,
If you can find out any info for me from Jerry Nordskog that would be awesome. im trying to find out as much as i can about this boat and plan on keeping it alive for a long time.
I want to find a copy of the original powerboat magazine it was on as well back in Oct 1988.
If anyone has info please post it up or send me a message. it would be greatly appreciated and great help in preserving the cigarette history.
Old 05-07-2009, 10:57 PM
Registered

Barney is a very close personal friend of mine. I think he is visiting his daughter in spain right now.
cigracing1,
I would love to speak with Barney as well and figure out the details with this boat since i know he was the one who restored it at first and had it out in the water last.
If you talk to him anytime soon please let him know the boat is in good hands now. It will live on but i need to find out all the info about it. basically whats still original and i know he would have receipts from this project as well.
thanks for replying to my posts Cigracing1

Chris
Old 05-07-2009, 11:06 PM
Registered

Congratulations.......HORBA has a lot of info on that boat and plenty of photos too. Let me know what you need and I'll dig around for you.

I raced against that boat back in the day. Norm Teague was the one who was more involved and also rode with Bob Nordskog during the races. Contact Powerboat magazine....they should have quite a collection of covers that this particular boat was featured on.

I hope you plan on running with us next February in the Miami to Key West race. Plenty of time to get the old girl ready.

Charlie McCarthy
Charlie,
im basically looking for any and all info about this boat. so whatever you have please let me know. ill be printing it all out and trying to make a little scrap book for this boat.
I feel that it's important to document all of this stuff so it lives on.
I will try to make the Miami to Key west race for sure. i figure I'll need approx 2 months to have her cleaned up well.
I also need to figure out all these Gas tanks on this boat. Basically want to know if Bob use to fill them separately or did he just pump them from tank to tank?
i cant believe this boat was restored and then someone just let it sit. its a shame but then again its great for me since now i have it.
Charlie, where about Florida are you?
Old 05-08-2009, 01:01 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

I got the boat yesterday.
Tomorrow i will do a better inspection of the boat and try to post some pics up as soon as i can. From what i saw this morning it is in fairly good shape. needs a good cleaning and a good run through on the engines but seems to be solid all aound.
The hull is Kevlar weighing at 2900lbs.
Original owner was Bob Nordskog and then it was signed away by Gerald C. Nordskog in 1995. It was recently restored by Barney Welch in Oklahoma in 2000. i will have to contact him for more info regarding the work done. Then it was purchased by cam-boat projects inc, in Largo, Florida which sold it to another person and now i bought it.
i will slowly try to track down all the info and pics of the restoration. If anyone has any info please post. thanks alot.
Neat boat . I have a 39 of similar vintage but not that light . What drives / props do you have
Old 05-08-2009, 01:26 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

fastdonzi,
If you can find out any info for me from Jerry Nordskog that would be awesome. im trying to find out as much as i can about this boat and plan on keeping it alive for a long time.
I want to find a copy of the original powerboat magazine it was on as well back in Oct 1988.
If anyone has info please post it up or send me a message. it would be greatly appreciated and great help in preserving the cigarette history.

I'll see if I can get his email and hook you up with him directly. No Problem.
Old 05-08-2009, 07:51 PM
Lee
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 26 Likes on 7 Posts

TheFever29,
Did you by any chance receive any emails from the seller after you placed a bid? I was also bidding on the boat but stopped after I received several "questionable" emails from the seller.
Old 05-08-2009, 09:14 PM
Registered

no i didnt receive any questionable emails. he was very helpful. but i guess not knowledgeable about boats since now that i have the boat here with me and looking things over i might have to redo alot of the hoses which i already started. said this boat was ready to go but that was far from true. if i put this thing in the water the same day it would of sunk because all the water pickup lines were snapped which i noticed today way under the engines. also he tried to install a flush kit which is completely wrong and takes water on. so thats the next project.
also the trim tabs lines all cracked. batteries shot. expensive to get those 18 foot stainless cables made. so alot of work to get her ready again. it will be worth it though.
once i have most of the work done ill post pics up.
Old 05-09-2009, 12:13 AM
10x
10x
VIP Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Fever 29, You better replace ALL the hoses. After sitting for years, all the rubber hoses just dry-rot. Anything that's rubber needs to get replaced, nomatter how new it looks, even the braided. Just my $.02, but also the propshaft seals, drive bellows for SURE, and check the transom seal on the transom plates. Replace the mechanical fuel pumps, as they too have a rubber diaphram in them. It's always better to do it up front, then asume they're all good, and have a problem leaking fuel, or taking on water while out an hour from shore.

BTW, congrats on one hell of a boat. Cheers !!!

Frank
www.chicagopowerboat.com

Quick Reply: Nordskog 39 Cigarette on Ebay

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.