Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Classic Offshore
Restoring 1972 Magnum Marine Sport Help! >

Restoring 1972 Magnum Marine Sport Help!

Notices

Restoring 1972 Magnum Marine Sport Help!

Old 06-18-2009, 10:29 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Restoring 1972 Magnum Marine Sport Help!

Hi everybody and thank you in advace for any help. Im new on this site but I think it looks like the best power boat site out there. I recently purchased a 1972 Magnum Marine I believe its a sport It does have a high grab rail around the front and two small windows on each side of the front. Its a twin motor boat with inboard/outboards but when I purchased the boat it came with no power. The boat had switched hands a couple times since the power was removed so I dont know what it had . I was told Chryslers with volvo outdrives but I dont know. I do know the boat came from NY state and was originaly a police boat. Its yellow and white now and says "The Viking" on the side with a viking head painted on. I think it was originaly blue. No swim platform and ugly doo doo brown coushions on the interior. The boat is a 27 foot.
I woul like to repower with chevy motors and bravo three outdrives . However Im not willing to put a new transom in and on a priced fixed menue for now. A few poeple told me that Old Volvos have a big cut out and that there are no adapter plates made to size it down. Any help would be great with the power questions or history of the boat. Thanks Again I want to get this baby in the water!!

Last edited by Magnum27guy; 06-18-2009 at 10:31 AM. Reason: give more info
Old 06-18-2009, 10:35 AM
JC Performance Engines
Gold Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I believe what you have there is a sedan, not a sport.
Not sure about the volvos.
I think you'd have better luck posting this in the magnum forum. good luck.
Old 06-18-2009, 11:01 AM
Registered

Received 216 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Magnum27guy
I woul like to repower with chevy motors and bravo three outdrives . However Im not willing to put a new transom in and on a priced fixed menue for now. A few poeple told me that Old Volvos have a big cut out and that there are no adapter plates made to size it down. Any help would be great with the power questions or history of the boat. Thanks Again I want to get this baby in the water!!
The Volvos did leave a big hole, but it is no big deal to have someone fill that in with new wood and glass....... and then you cut the new size needed for the repower.

If it was a police boat, it probably was a sedan....same hull just a different deck. Good boat.
Old 06-22-2009, 10:25 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Crusaders With Volvo Drive Were The Motors Used After H/m Marine.
Old 06-22-2009, 11:57 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

[I would like to repower with chevy motors and bravo three outdrives . However Im not willing to put a new transom in and on a priced fixed menue for now]

Why not repower with the Volvo drives ????? I will be restoring my Magnum Sedan with them. With small blocks Chevy's and Volvo drives she will run 55mph all day, and if your on a budget this would be the least expensive. There a donner boats like Bayliners all around with engines & drives.. Just my 2 cents.
Attached Thumbnails Restoring 1972 Magnum Marine Sport Help!-mb-mag4.jpg   Restoring 1972 Magnum Marine Sport Help!-mb-mag5.jpg  
Old 06-19-2010, 09:41 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 1972 magnum 25. The boat is in great shape but the motors are locked up. Would love to keep the Volvo drives. Any recomendation on the motor I should use?
Old 06-19-2010, 11:14 AM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

Why B3's Standard bravos with mild smallblocks would be fine. I believe merc makes adapter plates, I saw a thread a while ago about people using the plates for TRS to Bravo conversions and thought it was mentioned they were originally for volvo to merc conv. Even at that, it would, if you did the work yourself, probably be cheaper to just redo the transom. The Bravo 3's help big boats, (cruisers etc) you likely wont notice any benefit on a mag, but when you get it going and go to prop it correctly, you will notice a differance buying 4 props as opposed to 2.
Old 07-02-2010, 10:51 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Justin- You want Chevy Small blocks. They will fit the best. What kind of engines are in it now?

Wannabe
Old 07-02-2010, 10:54 AM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 159 Likes on 89 Posts

Listen to Phragle
Old 07-02-2010, 03:11 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mbam
Listen to Phragle
your old boat
Attached Thumbnails Restoring 1972 Magnum Marine Sport Help!-berman.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.