Momma Maritime Cockpit >

Momma Maritime Cockpit

Notices

Momma Maritime Cockpit

Old 04-11-2010, 04:32 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Momma Maritime Cockpit

Don`t know that I`ve seen a layout like this many times.

I can understand two wheels to relieve the driver on a long race c/w dual throttles,but another set of controls in aft cockpit seem`s odd.OK it`s in the 60`s when experimentation was prevalent.

Can anyone explain the logic?
Attached Thumbnails Momma Maritime Cockpit-momma-maritime.jpg   Momma Maritime Cockpit-momma-maritime-1967-2-.jpg  
Old 04-11-2010, 10:37 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

It seems that the mechanic site is aft, while the navigator is alongside the driver.
This maybe because there was only one compass classically located forward of the passenger compartment in a central location and no space for a third place in the same line. The navigator then had the two gauges for rpm and a central speedmeter, while all the equipment for engines control was back to the mechanic.
Keep in mind that in 1967 the role of T-Man that supports the driver in control the boat was still for improvement.
I think that the second trottle are for the inverters otherwise not explained the position all fwd trottle of the driver with all those back of the mechanic.

Last edited by Black Tornado; 04-11-2010 at 10:40 AM.
Old 04-11-2010, 01:09 PM
Registered

Default Mm Layout

All very feasable Marco.We await a U.S. comment.
Old 04-11-2010, 09:37 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

Could it be the drivers Morse controls are just shifters F-N-R ??? And the throttles are the second set in the back seat ???
Old 04-12-2010, 08:11 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When that boat was rigged by Dave Stirrat and the boys at Maritime Machine Co, in HIaleah, Fl, it was a piece of work. The engines were turbocharged Louie Unser Fords. Louie Unser was a brother of the Indy winners, Al, Bobby, etc. They had a huge aluminum tub that pressurized the carburetor. Low speed response was nil, so they marinized a Fordomatic automotive tramsmission, for low-end response. Louie couldn't ride in the boat due to Lou Gherig's disease, and we used to carry him around the pits on our backs. He was a wonderful guy, and probably a lot less handicapped than most of us, overall. It was a complex boat to operate, and they set up the rear cockpit for the mechanic to be able to monitor all of the new systems. The boat was not successful, and if my memory is correct, they finally ripped everything out and installed Merc stuff.
Old 04-12-2010, 08:45 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Black Tornado
It seems that the mechanic site is aft, while the navigator is alongside the driver.
This maybe because there was only one compass classically located forward of the passenger compartment in a central location and no space for a third place in the same line. The navigator then had the two gauges for rpm and a central speedmeter, while all the equipment for engines control was back to the mechanic.
Keep in mind that in 1967 the role of T-Man that supports the driver in control the boat was still for improvement.
I think that the second trottle are for the inverters otherwise not explained the position all fwd trottle of the driver with all those back of the mechanic.
ciao marco I was working for merrick on the build of this boat in alliance ohio and latter at maritime in hialeah fla , throttles in the front with tachs and shifts in the rear compartment also with tachs and full gauges with toggle switchs.the boat was narrow that put the mechanic in the rear. sonny miller ciao ancora
Old 04-13-2010, 02:30 AM
Registered

Thanks for your replies guys.

When you think a 8ft beam CUV 38 has all 3 crew members packed cosy abreast,and compare that to the 32ft Momma Maritime,I just wonder if Momma was less than 8ft beam.Note a 33ft shead mono was 8ft beam.
Then again the navigator is usually relegated to the rear.Seems the engineer could have had a stressful time stuck at the back.
Old 04-13-2010, 10:39 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by flying fish
Thanks for your replies guys.

When you think a 8ft beam CUV 38 has all 3 crew members packed cosy abreast,and compare that to the 32ft Momma Maritime,I just wonder if Momma was less than 8ft beam.Note a 33ft shead mono was 8ft beam.
Then again the navigator is usually relegated to the rear.Seems the engineer could have had a stressful time stuck at the back.
check the photo the fuel tanks ,were saddle tanks on each side all the way up to the deck. they were hard to install because of all the t bars and aluminum framing, much different then a glas hull .sonny miller
Old 04-13-2010, 03:48 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default crew solutions

I remember the cockpit of the 38 'CUV were comfortable for all three but never like in the 36' 'widebody'.
Speaking of solutions for the crew at least improvised again in 1967 two imposed here by Don's aides on the 28' with three outboards.
To understand the effectiveness in pursuing the right course by the navigator....

Ciao Sonny!

Last edited by Black Tornado; 04-13-2010 at 03:55 PM.
Old 04-14-2010, 07:51 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Black Tornado
I remember the cockpit of the 38 'CUV were comfortable for all three but never like in the 36' 'widebody'.
Speaking of solutions for the crew at least improvised again in 1967 two imposed here by Don's aides on the 28' with three outboards.
To understand the effectiveness in pursuing the right course by the navigator....

Ciao Sonny!

ciao marco , i was working at magnum around this time and recall don driving and navigating . knocky also gave direction to don by hitting him on the back to get his attention and pointing the correct way,also trying to keep his boat running and managing fuel valves. don always had us mount a compass in front of his steering on the early boats . btw the name donzi ,i recall was given to the company by his early sec. mary ann, ciao sonny

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.